Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone still carry a PPK or PPK/S? I admit it; I do sometimes. (Both) For me, there's no slide bite and I shoot them extremely well. Yeah yeah; I know, it's only a .380ACP (I also have a PPK/S in .22lr, a made in France version...but I don't CCW with it). I'm fine with .380ACP cause I can hit what I shoot at and I guarantee that is key. The PP series are very accurate guns; that fixed barrel does the trick for me.
Walnuts 2 PPKs.jpg
Walnuts PPKs.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
In the hot summer I carry my FEG AP9 .380 with 2 mags. It's a lot lighter and prints less with light clothing. I have complete confidence in it as it has never misfired and has little recoil. I can put all 8 rounds in a 2" pattern at 10 yds. I can do the same with my Canik C-100 9mm but it is a bit heavier and is my main carry.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
I have a PPK but don't carry it, slide bite is terrible. Came with a box of Band Aids and coupons for more.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I had one and it was my daily carry gun between 1986-89. It was one of my off-duty guns my first year on the job in 1989, I carried my own department approved Beretta 92FC (13 round 9mm) and the PPK/s had the same safety/de-cocker system as my Beretta and my S&W 669.

In 1990 I was issued a SIG P226 and I sold off the Beretta, S&W 669 and Walther PPK/s and picked up a SIG P225 and SIG P230 for off duty use. (Again, same operating systems).

I liked my PPK/s - it was reliable and the one that I owned had a decent DA trigger. I did get bitten by the slide though - after 50 rounds blood was drawn.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I have a French made PPK that I still carried once in a while [ not often] Mine is in 32 auto.It is completely reliable but only using the factory mag that came with it. All the others have failed. A cousin was deployed in France in the early 70's and bought it there.
I have a Pre War Walther PP, also in 32 auto. It was my Great Grandmothers gun. I don't shoot it much, and have never carried it as a defensive pistol, Because I would not want to loose it. She ran with a rough crowd in the 20's and 30's. She owned Boarding houses, and Wash-a-teria's [Laundry's of the day]. She was also known as someone who would sew up a bullet hole and not talk about it! Both in people and suits. Or keep a pregnant girl hidden till her time was up. The Story of the pistol is one of her Boyfriends left it at her house , and his wife would not let him come get it back! She gave it to me because I was the least likely to get in trouble with it!
I also have an Italian Copy in .380. It is not reliable. I got it in a trade and agreed to it because it came with a really nice German holster. It maybe part of a police uniform. It has a waist belt and a cross body shoulder strap. it is a very shiny black almost like Patton leather. I have never seen another like it. The holster was worth more than the pistol. DR

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Beautiful and historic pistols. The Smith & Wesson versions were unreliable. The newest version I found very reliable but the grip frame edges were sharp and cut the hand.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Joel,
I think you’ve got some “Bond” in you. I had one in the early’90’s. Wouldn’t feed hollow points and made my hand bloody. Needles to say....gone!

Al
(amadera from OSA)

·
Registered
969 Posts
No slide bite here.

It’s way bigger than my Sig Sauer P365 so my Interarms Walther PPK/S is only a range gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
I wanted a PPK for years, but now that they're finally making them again, I'm no longer interested. I'm more than satisfied with my two-tone SIG P290RS .380 with red/black enhanced grips. It's accurate, reliable, soft shooting, and sexy.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I like the PPK, but the PPK/S seems a bit big. I have a 1961 production in .32 and one of the last run S&W stainless guns (after they fixed the problems), also in .32. They have both been 100% reliable with Fiocchi FMJ. They get carried often and are very accurate.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I used to...it's an easy carry...gave mine to my DIL a couple of years ago when she first got her LTC. Missed it for a while but she's taking good care of it. I never experienced slide bite with it but she does. It's all about how you grip it.

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
I am a big fan of them what I have found

1. 380 is not made for the small guns it works fine in PP size frame maybe a ppk/s maybe but in a ppk it is just too much kick for me and many with bite
2. 32acp is the caliber to carry it in ...
3. The clones and non factory guns other then say the French built gun ( a they were basically German gun made in France due to arms control post ww2) are iffy at best ditto any non factory or mecgear mag ..

The best model to carry imop is the PPK/L model it is the only one you can pocket carry without felling like a brick is in there ..It is light easy to control and a joy to shoot ..Sad they are so rare now

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The PPK and PPK/S pistols made by Ranger Manufacturing for Interarms followed the same drawings as the German and Manhurin pistols. My experience with them (Interarms) has generally been very good. Now when S&W assumed the manufacture and began to screw around with the design (beavertail and feed ramp among others) the problems really started. Too bad the new models coming out of Ft Smith follow the wayward path of the S&W guns and not the original Walther design.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I don't carry mine much anymore. I do occasionally get the "railroad tracks", but not a lot. It is accurate. Mine is 100% reliable with hot loads (SuperVel, CorBon, hot handholds) and is 100% with Glaser Blues and ARX ammo. No prob at all with hollow points as long as they are hot. My hand load of 4.4gr Unique/90gr Sierra JHP worked great and was my carry load before CorBons. I keep it for nostalgic purposes as it was my first good carry gun and was purchased 53 years ago.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I have a Walther PP in 380 that I inherited. It’s a cool gun but the DA trigger is crazy heavy. I’d like to shoot it more and eventually get a holster so it’s at least an option.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I bought a SS Interarms PPK for carry back in the day but now it's as large as and as heavy as (or heavier) than my P290RS 9mm. It's relegated to the safe most of the time now.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Don't have one, but have always wanted one - it's kind of a shame that they didn't release the new ones in .32acp as well as .380 though.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts