Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a new Ft. Smith version. Love it’s safety features, build quality, looks, and accuracy..... but not too reliable. Changed 2 springs which solved one problem and helped another. Tried to get a third, but they wanted it sent back, so we’ll see if they can fix it.

If this doesn’t work out, I’ll just stick with my snub noses - since switching to AIWB, I’m just not comfortable with any spring loading behind chambered primers (don’t care what safeties there are), and also don’t care for larger EDCs.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I am a big fan of them what I have found

1. 380 is not made for the small guns it works fine in PP size frame maybe a ppk/s maybe but in a ppk it is just too much kick for me and many with bite
2. 32acp is the caliber to carry it in ...
3. The clones and non factory guns other then say the French built gun ( a they were basically German gun made in France due to arms control post ww2) are iffy at best ditto any non factory or mecgear mag ..

The best model to carry imop is the PPK/L model it is the only one you can pocket carry without felling like a brick is in there ..It is light easy to control and a joy to shoot ..Sad they are so rare now

I have a couple of Italian made guns that resemble the PPK. But only the outside appearance. Internally they are nothing alike. They were made by Tanfoglio. I have one in .380 and the other in 32 auto. I have to agree that the 380 is a hand full. but the 32 auto is a lot of fun to shoot. I have not seen many of these, the 380 version was more popular, but they tend to crack their frames where the barrel is joined. So the 32's are the survivors.
Everyone that has shot them agrees that 32 is the way to go with these two. DR

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a couple of Italian made guns that resemble the PPK. But only the outside appearance. Internally they are nothing alike. They were made by Tanfoglio. I have one in .380 and the other in 32 auto. I have to agree that the 380 is a hand full. but the 32 auto is a lot of fun to shoot. I have not seen many of these, the 380 version was more popular, but they tend to crack their frames where the barrel is joined. So the 32's are the survivors.
Everyone that has shot them agrees that 32 is the way to go with these two. DR
How about posting some pics of these please? And sell me that .32 PPK.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I picker up yet another Walther yesterday, a NIB (unfired) stainless PPK model in .380. I don't find the .380 hard to handle at all. It's just that me and these guns, we are meant to be together! (LOL). Anyway, I took it to the range and IT.WAS.FLAWLESS. Man I love the accuracy of these things.
PPK with Walnuts .jpg
PPK Walnuts 2.jpg

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have two PPK pistols. I have owned two others but financial reasons back then saw me sell them. One of the ones I have now was made in 1944, .32 ACP and is made of duralumin material. That one is a safe queen. The other one is blued, .380 ACP and is marked Interarms. So far, it's been flawless in performance, even with hollow-points. I have never experienced the slide bite that some do. Since I live in a small town about 15 miles from a large city, this pistol or a J-Frame 442 will usually travel with me when I have to run to the store. I figure either one, with a reload, will take care of anything I need them to do.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The Sig P230/232 is my second favorite .380 pistol, right behind,,,,you guessed it! Walther PPKs.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I have one, and I do carry it from time to time. I shoot it well and feel confident with it and there are times when a smaller weapon is just what the doctor ordered.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a PPK/S 22lr with less than 400 rounds through it. It has always been finicky with regards to ammunition. Last week, it failed to eject several rounds. I decided to fire one more round with just the second magazine before I put it away for the day. It failed to fire, so I attempted to clear it. It is now locked up. I cannot, therefore, strip it, so it is in essence a paperweight.
My warranty said it was good for only one year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not enough mention of Walther online.... PPK is a thing of beauty.

And in 9mm and 40sw, the PPS and PPS-M2 are seriously underrated.

Walther just isn't a cool enough sounding name. Another brand, Kahr, seems to have faded away too.

Had an Indian Arms 380 pass thru my ownership years ago. Wished that I kept that beauty.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not enough mention of Walther online.... PPK is a thing of beauty.

And in 9mm and 40sw, the PPS and PPS-M2 are seriously underrated.

Walther just isn't a cool enough sounding name. Another brand, Kahr, seems to have faded away too.

Had an Indian Arms 380 pass thru my ownership years ago. Wished that I kept that beauty.
Perhaps it's because the last couple of generations didn't grow up with 007? As best I recall, that spawned a rash of spy movies about suave secret agents with little pistols out to save the world from certain doom, all the while maintaining an air of sophistication and "cool" around himself.

·
Super Moderator
18,337 Posts
Walther sounds highly cool as a firearms name to me
Glock sounds like some sort of curtain rod brand supplied to the household trade in the European Union.

Reactions: SmitKoWitz

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
Walther sounds highly cool as a firearms name to me
Glock sounds like some sort of curtain rod brand supplied to the household trade in the European Union.
Yeah, but it's a really gooood curtain rod.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a new Ft. Smith version. Love it’s safety features, build quality, looks, and accuracy..... but not too reliable. Changed 2 springs which solved one problem and helped another. Tried to get a third, but they wanted it sent back, so we’ll see if they can fix it.

If this doesn’t work out, I’ll just stick with my snub noses - since switching to AIWB, I’m just not comfortable with any spring loading behind chambered primers (don’t care what safeties there are), and also don’t care for larger EDCs.
I never had any Walter PPK or PPK/s that was reliable with any ammo. I had them all over the decades, and every stinker one chocked, even with ball....NO THANKS, I would stick with a snubby.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Man, that's a bummer. They seem to work very well for some people and not so good for others. They are very grip sensitive too; you must maintain a good firm grip and let the recoil do its job, and you have to be careful not to impede the movement of the slide when firing, which is very easy to do. My three (soon to be five) all run very well...with 95 gr FMJ.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do on occasion but it's barely once a month, if that.

I found a 1981 black PPK/S a few years ago for $425. It looked nearly new despite it's age. I took it from the gun shop straight to the range, but had a failure to feed/extract before I had gone though one box. So I stopped, when I got back home I gave it a deep cleaning, proper oil and lubrication, including the magazines. It took hours, the patches, qtips, etc just keep coming up black then finally

I don't and never had a slide bite problem with this. I've put maybe 500 rounds though it since and no failures. It does have a sledgehammer type kick to it. Not the most comfortable thing but it's tolerable. I actually like the heavy trigger pull for CC purposes.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I do on occasion but it's barely once a month, if that.

I found a 1981 black PPK/S a few years ago for $425. It looked nearly new despite it's age. I took it from the gun shop straight to the range, but had a failure to feed/extract before I had gone though one box. So I stopped, when I got back home I gave it a deep cleaning, proper oil and lubrication, including the magazines. It took hours, the patches, qtips, etc just keep coming up black then finally

I don't and never had a slide bite problem with this. I've put maybe 500 rounds though it since and no failures. It does have a sledgehammer type kick to it. Not the most comfortable thing but it's tolerable. I actually like the heavy trigger pull for CC purposes.
When I picked one up at my FFL recently, it was heavily coated in cosmoline; at least it sure it sure looked like it to me and I 've cleaned a bunch of weapons that were stored in cosmoline while in the USMC, back in the day. And yes, the mags were packed with it too. When I slid the baseplate off, I had to pull to get the follower and spring out and everything pretty much came out in a big, greasy clump.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I could never find or afford a real PPK in .22LR so I restored this FEG AP22 (mags are about $80 each). After finding several mags, I had it reblued and added some Marscal grips from Hungry.

My Fort Smith PPK/S is the nicest shooting Walther I have. It is also very accurate.

The after market grips made it very comfortable to shoot.

I have quite a few other Walthers and FEG copies but these two are my favorites.

Trooper Joe

·
Registered
34,726 Posts
I could never find or afford a real PPK in .22LR so I restored this FEG AP22 (mags are about $80 each). After finding several mags, I had it reblued and added some Marscal grips from Hungry.

Trooper Joe
He makes really great grips--if you don't mind the wait.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts