Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what is the difference between the PPK and the PPK/S besides the round capacity? Is one bigger than the other? Which one is better? I love the way they look and feel. Thinking about ordering one offline. They seem like a quality firearm for $500.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The PPK/S is a little larger and heavier than the PPK, and holds 1 additional round in both .32acp and .380. The PPK/S was developed to meet the import requirements of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The frame is the PP size and capacity with the slide being the PPK length.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
In addition to frame size of the PPK and PPK/s, the hammer (main) springs are different. I think the PPK is a bit more reliable, however, I really can't recommend the S&W made ones. I have owned 4 PPK/s and 1 PPK. Only the PPK was reliable, until the "professionals" at S&W performed the recall "fix." It would not reliabably feed after that.

If you are considering acquiring one, my recommendation is to look at the Sig P232 instead. A much better and more reliable choice in .380.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The P232 is a great pistol, I want one myself.

I would highly recommend trying to track down an Interarms-made Walther PPK or PPK/S. Although the folks on the Walther PPK forum have mostly been happy with the S&W version (both before and after their recall fix), there are those reporting issues like CTR's above. It's up to you. I found a phenomenal, lightly used Interams Walther PPK/S a few years ago and I love it.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The grips are a bit different between the PPK and PPK/S.

Here's a comparison between the PPK/S and the Sig P232. Both are world class CCWs.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I like the look of the Walther PPK/s but have a love/hate relationship with owning and shooting them. I had 2 different Interarms guns several years ago. They were reliable when I had them but they always drew blood when i shot them due to the small beavertail. Fast forward to a couple of years ago. I bought one of the S&W Walthers with the larger, redesigned beavertail. Finally, I could shoot without bleeding....at least I could until several small internal bits went flying out of the gun while I was shooting it. It went back and was fixed by S&W. After I got it back I did a bit of soul searching and decided that the weight, the 17lb double action trigger pull, and the whole internal-bits-flying-out business made it a gun I didn't want to carry. I subsequently traded it straight across for a Walther P22 for my wife.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if the ppk is smaller than the ppk/s which is smaller than the p232, I want the ppk! p232 kinda big for being the same as the ppk.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Back in the 1970's, I had a German made Walther PPKS that was imported my Interarms. It was one of those guns I regretted ever getting rid of. I ended up purchasing one of the USA made models that ended up being a jamomatic. I should have kept the imported one. I haven't heard if Smith & Wesson improved the PPKS since they have started building them.

Randy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I know I am not talking apples and apples but, the FEG PA63 is close cousin to all these guns and carries and shoots very well for a whole lot less money.

9x18 ammo a little more powerful than 380acp and Silver Bear makes a nice HP round that feeds well in the PA63.

I would compare PA63 and new S&W PPKs and would believe PA63 would win.

JMO YMMV

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had good luck with both a ppk and ppk/s, both made in Germany. Very accurate and easy to carry. Both are very reliable. I do at times "donate blood" when I shoot one on the draw. If it not perfectly in my hand, it "BITES ME".

Doc

·
Registered
62 Posts
Slide biting in the PPK/PPKs is a very real thing, but it depends on the shape and structure of your hand. I don't have tiny hands, but my PPK/S (with the short Interarms tang) has never bitten me, not even once. It has cut friends who've shot it, and for the life of me I can't figure out why it snags some and not others. Something to check out for yourself before you buy.

I loved shooting the Sig P232 as well, although it has a European style magazine release (on the bottom of the grip). Great design, but it wasn't something I was comfortable with.

The both shoot like lasers for me - they make me more accurate :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Had a PPK/S, West German made, great little gun. Traded it for a Sig 228, a better gun. Always missed the PPK/S until I bought a Ruger Elsie Pee, now I don't look back. MUCH easier to carry, reliable and accurate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts