Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Went to my local gun store today to try on several holster variations for a Glock 27 without any satisfaction except putting it back in my pocket and walking out when I talked to the owner and asked her what she recommended. She has a Springfield XD with the same problem with concealment. She did tell me that a couple of guys in town bought the Supertuck without having to alter there wardrobe. She was even considering one herself and so was I. So my first Glock concealment holster will most likely be a Supertuck. My second choice is a Fist #42

I than proceeded to ask her about a better concealment weapon that is slimmer and trimmer with some of the features that I am accustomed to in the Glock. She showed me a Walther PPS in a .40 and a 9MM. I have to tell you I fell in L-O-V-E with this little gun except for the mag release at first until I played with it a little.

Was a little small for my hand but so is my Glock 27. I also looked at a Springfield 1911 SA Stainless in a 4 inch that looked quite appealing but I do not know anything about how safe they are with the hammer in the cocked position or if I really want to remember a safety for the thumb to remember vs pulling gun and pulling trigger like the Glock.

My question for you guys and gals that own a Walther PPS is how do you like it and would you buy another one and if there are any complaints other than the recent Recall that I just found out for Models from Feb 2009 to previous years.

I really want a reliable narrow gun that conceals well particularly with OWB. in at least a .40 or .45.

Thanks in advance.:tumbleweed:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I am curious too and also wonder how recoil compares from 40 to 45

·
Registered
93 Posts
You mentioned that the PPS was a little small for your hand. Did you know that it comes with 2 backstraps(also acts as a safety because it will not shoot without it). One for larger hands and one for smaller hands. Try it with the larger one next time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought a PPS in 9mm. The gun came with a 7 round magazine, and I bought the 6 rounder for EDC. It just hides better for me. I absolutely love this gun. It disappears when carrying it all day.

Here is mine with the 6 round magazine in it. I bought two holsters for it, one is a Walther pancake with a thumbreak, and the other is a Walther beltslide version. Both are top notch leather holsters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a PPS 9mm as my EDC, and I love it. I use a Milt Sparks VM2 holster. I carried it for about a month without a round in the chamber to verify (for myself) there were no problems -- of course, the pin never dropped on it's own. I've been carrying my PPS in condition 1 for nearly a year now.

Like mk70ss said, it disappears. I use the 7-round magazine. The VM2 tucks it into your body nicely. I generally wear an unbuttoned cover shirt, but I've also used the clips and tucked a shirt over the PPS when I've needed to dress up.

I would definitely get another if I dropped mine in a lake or something.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did not know that was an option. It was not bad with the extended mags just had to tuck the pinkie finger underneath on the 6 round mag. I cannot get too excited yet as I do not have $600 to plop down right now. I am more just checking what my options are and this one is at the top of the list. Thanks for the info on the grips.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My question for you guys and gals that own a Walther PPS is how do you like it and would you buy another one and if there are any complaints other than the recent Recall that I just found out for Models from Feb 2009 to previous years.
I have the PPS in .40 and absolutely love it. Much more accurate than I expected and so easy to conceal.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I love my PPS in 9mm. Mags are a little expensive. I believe the newer ones also have a trigger pull that is a little higher that mine which is about 5.5. VERY accurate little gun. Glock is missing out on alot of sales since they haven't released a gun like this.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Nothing but good to say about my PPS .40. Recoil is not bad at all. On the other hand, I love my 1911's also, and they get carried way more than the PPS. No modern handgun is really any more safe or not safe than the rest. They all require the same thing to fire, finger pulling the trigger. I like the PPS and my Glock triggers and feel they are perfectly safe. I like the 1911's trigger much better than any of my other carry guns, that why it gets carried more. As for the manual thumb safety, practice, practice, practice, and it will become one motion without thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I like my PPS 40 and my wife carries a PPS 9mm. Great guns, no malfunctions.

When you mention a recall, I assume you're talking about the PPK, PPK/S recall as I'm not aware of any PPS recall.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I can't comment on the PPS, but can on the 1911...It was designed to be carried 'cocked and locked' and truly is one of the safest pistol designs on the market...Yes it does take some practice to get used to the thumb safety, but not as much as you think... You can practice at home, with the gun unloaded... The consistent trigger pull is a big plus for accuracy...

Whether you get one now or later, get one...everyone should have a 1911 in their collection....

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't have a PPS but I have a p22 which is a little .22 that has the same mag release as the PPS - I absolutely love that mag release. I operate it with my index finger and there's no way to accidently release.

My "real" gun is a M&P9 and I definitely prefer the walther style release. OTOH, I'm new to handguns and bought both within a few months of each other so the standard mag release location wasn't burned into my brain.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Does the 40 kick a lot, I admit I dont like excessive recoil. I had a Glock 27 that I hated but still want a 40 cal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i carry a PPS and a 5" 1911 both pretty regularly.

both are fantastic weapons each in and of themselves.

the PPS is pretty glock-like in its function. the fit and finish is better IMHO but you pay more for it. 6 pack/half a 12 pack etc.

anytime someone throws up two weapons to pick from that are different calibers i stop and think about that. spend some time thinking about your caliber criteria. do you have any specific reasons for wanting one or not wanting one?
some people prefer to buy weapons in calibers that they already have. some are the opposite and want to brand out and increase their options. etc.

the other big thing i would point out is the manual safety and the SA 1911 vs the striker-fired 'DA' of the PPS.
i like the trigger on the PPS. i really do. but as far as my personal subjective preference it doesnt compare to the 1911 SA trigger. i love the 1911 trigger. different ballparks. but with the SA trigger on the 1911 comes the responsibility of a manual safety. it takes discipline and training to adjust to using a 1911 in a combat situation where the safety can be disengaged while drawing and still not raking the muzzle across others. it doesnt sound complicated but it should not be something that you have to think about when drawing in any grave situation.

note my above points are not to be read as comments on the safety or perceived criminal liability of the SA weapon. i dont consider either to be an issue if the weapon is carried properly. im just pointing out that the triggers are different (to each their own here on this subjective point but most people seem to prefer the 1911 trigger if theyve shot it) and that there are mechanical considerations with regards to deployment that are not an issue on the striker fired or DA weapons.

i guess at the end of my ramble id say that if you are willing to train and become proficient with the manual safety (if not already so) then its a great weapon. otherwise the PPS would be something that would be much more natural to you if you are used to glocks etc.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I absolutely love the PPS and drool over them everytime I walk in the shop. The only real problem I have is the fact that the PF9 sitting next to it is smaller and 1/2 the cost. Does anyone own both? If so, how do they compare in terms of reliability and accuracy?

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
The 1911 has been carried cocked and locked for almost a century, if there was an unsafe design flaw, I don't think it would be popular anymore.

With a C&L 1911 its really just a visual thing that makes some people uneasy, and with striker fired weapon its all "out of sight out of mind".

I'm a big fan of 1911s, and my EDC is a full size 1911. With training and practice, you can develop muscle memory so that dis-engaging the thumb safety is something you don't even think about during the draw.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I absolutely love the PPS and drool over them everytime I walk in the shop. The only real problem I have is the fact that the PF9 sitting next to it is smaller and 1/2 the cost. Does anyone own both? If so, how do they compare in terms of reliability and accuracy?
I have both and it's really hard to compare. The PF9 has been reliable for what I have shot it other than it won't feed Remington Golden Saber ammo. Has fed everything else I've put through it. While the trigger on the PF9 isn't terrible and I understand it's a huge improvement over the P11, it's not even in the same league as the PPS. For fit and finish, there's just no comparison. My PF9 has the blued finish and it looks like someone painted it with one of the Birchwood Casey touch-up pens. There is some side-to-side slop in the slide though it doesn't seem to affect accuracy too badly. The PPS exudes fine workmanship, as much as you can on a polymer pistol. Fit and finish is excellent and everything fits like it's supposed to. At 10 yards, unsupported, I can shoot groups with the PPS that are about half the size of the PF9 groups.

All in all, I don't think the PF9 is a bad gun, it's just not a fair comparison to the PPS. It's like comparing a Chevrolet and a Mercedes. They'll both get you where you're going, one just does it with more style.

Hoss

1 - 20 of 41 Posts