Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, for you folks that have both or have shot both, what do you think? at twice the money and German made is the Walther twice the gun as the keltec?

To those that have carried each, what about weight/size comparison?
Recoil comparison?
Trigger pull?
Overall durability comparison?
I read where the Kel-tec has a life span of aprox 7000 rnds?
How about the lifespan of the Walther?

I have held each firearm but not together at the same time.
I have read some on both firearms.
Now I would like to hear from those that own, have carried or have shot both.

Thanks all...

Griz

·
Registered
12 Posts
Since you have held each you know the weight/size differences..

The Walther has a euro style mag release located under the trigger guard. Some like it.. Most hate it..

I was interested in buying the Walther but when I found out that if the removable backstrap is broken off or comes off in a gun drop or for anyother reason the gun is no longer functional. That's a deal breaker for me..

Are far as build quality goes the Walther is a beauty. Comparing the two is like comparing a Mercedes to a Chevy.. but the price difference reflects that doesn't it..

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
If it was me, I'd go for the Walther. I don't have either one, but I did evaluate both over the last few weeks for my xmas present to myself. I compared the G26, Walther PPS and the Kahr PM9 as well as the PF9. IMO right now they stack up as fallows. Glock, Walther, Kahr and then the PF9. I'm planning on adding the G26 in the next week or two, but wouldn't mind having the PPS either.

IMO all are good quality SD pistols, but both the Kahr and the Kel-tecs have had problems that you can read about from members on this site. For SD, I'd go with one of the more reliable defensive pistols. I'll experiment with other makes and models, but I have my main defense pistols that I carry daily and use the other purchases to add to my collection pretty much for the cool factor. FWIW

GBK

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, on the Walther, the backstrap thing brings up a good point, I did not mind the mag release. I will google that backstrap "drop or breakage" point, some one that has a walther please chime in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I personally can't see spending almost $800.00 for it either. for that much I would spend a little more and get the EMP9mm

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am a big fan of Kel-Tec but also a big fan of Walther. I own two PPS's (9mm and .40) and while I don't own a PF-9 I have shot one many times at my club range. Simply put, there is no comparison. The Walther is a far superior pistol in every category. Accuracy, Fit, Finish, Reliability, Quality Control, Brand Confidence, MRBF Rating, German Manufacture & Proofing at Ulm just to name the obvious ones.

I acrry a PPS every day in an Alessi CQC-S and I will admit to the same anxiety about the back strap. I have often considered putting a Hogue slip-on grip in place just to hold it on in case of an accidental drop.

Don't think I am bashing the KT, i really do like their products but this is really an apples to oranges question. I had a P3AT and I thought highly of it. I replaced it with an LCP and have been eyeballing the new Walther PK380 and the new Sig .380 too.

I have an idea, get both! After all, building a pistol collection is equal parts hobby and sickness. :bier:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Does anybody have any information to someone who's backstrap has broken? I don't make it a habit of dropping my guns, but if I did drop my PPS, I'm sure the backstrap would survive the drop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks,

Good feedback on all sides, I just found the waltherppsforum and am reading some good stuff out there.

I have some back trouble and have begun looking for a lighter, thinner, reliable carry. My kimber Ultra 27 28 oz? is getting a little heavy, at about 22oz for the Walther I am not sure the 7 or so oz ? would make that much difference, that is why I was looking also at the Kel-tec PF-9.

I recognize it is apples to oranges
Thanks

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If you are worried about the backstrap release being depressed by accident (anything can happen to almost any gun) with the PPS why not look at the P99SC.

Just about the same size and weight..PPS is a fraction slimmer.
Holds 10 rounds of 9mm and 8 in .40S&W
To take the backstrap off you have to punch out a drift pin.

In my book a better design. I have both the P99SC in 9mm and the full sized P99 in .40S&W.

Both easy to shoot and very easy to conceal.

bosco

·
Registered
420 Posts
I personally can't see spending almost $800.00 for it either. for that much I would spend a little more and get the EMP9mm
Neither could I. Fortunately, the PPS is closer to $600. I paid $625 for mine.

I acrry a PPS every day in an Alessi CQC-S and I will admit to the same anxiety about the back strap. I have often considered putting a Hogue slip-on grip in place just to hold it on in case of an accidental drop.

I think the fears over the back strap, particularly the small one (which is the one you showed a picture of) are a little overblown. If the gun lands flat on its side, it's almost impossible for any real stress to hit it. If it drops butt first, it's recessed enough that the impact is either going to be on the rear of the slide or at worst, on the very bottom tip of the back strap, and the window for the angle to be right to hit it instead of the rear of the slide or the butt plate of the magazine is very very small.

The large/fat back strap is more vulnerable to a straight-down drop, but I've got to think that even in these days of reduced quality control, the most basic drop tests would have revealed such an obvious defect should it exist. The PPS has not been problem free in its brief life span, but this hasn't been a significant problem if it's been one at all.

Edit: One other thing -- the above opinion on the back strap was with the six or seven round magazines inserted. I don't have an eight rounder, but looking at pictures of the eight rounder, it would appear that it would confer protection from impact for even the large/fat back strap.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would go for the Walther giving the choice. Spending my own money right now I'd do like I did and buy the PF9.

Also I thought the Walters are now made in the states by S&W?

If you are that worried about the back strap breaking off in a drop get some thin leather strips and wrap the grip. Non slip surface and now you don't have to worry about it coming off. Non skid tape would do the same.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the PF9, but not the PPS. I've fondled the PPS, but couldn't afford it. That's why I bought the PF9. I am looking now for this year's Christmas present and am currently looking at the G26/30/M&P guns that run a little less than the PPS.

Another option if you're worried about the back strap coming off is to wrap it with a piece of a mountain bike inner tube. I did that on my PF9 to help cushion the recoil and make it more grippie....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Walther vs Kel Tec

I have a Kel Tec PF9, P11 and P32. All three have issues. The best of the lot is the P11 but you have to modify the hammer spring to get an acceptable trigger pull. The PF9 is my second one. Kel Tec replaced the first because of failure to feed AND failure to fire. The new PF9 is better but it won't feed the last round in the magazine. I'm working on that. The P32 had failure to feed problems. I called Kel Tec and they said I needed a modification that they would sell me. It's a bar that goes in the magazine which forces the bullets at a different angle. So now I can't use certain ammo because the magazine is not as deep. Now if Kel Tec knows there is a design flaw in their magazine why didn't they provide me the fix free. It was only a few dollars but I don't think I should have had to pay for it. But the P32 is so light you can easily carry it in a pocket and not even feel it's presence. Bottom line, you will find, there are people who love Kel Tec and people who hate them. Maybe, if your mechanically inclined and want to tinker you may be in the first group. If your a paper pusher like me with little mechanical aptitude, you will definitely be in the second group. If you go to the Kel TEc forum, don't bash their guns. The guys there are very sensitive! I saw a PPS 9 today at my favorite gun store for $599. I may have to go buy one tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems with the Keltecs. I've had a PF9 for about 2 months now and it has been absolutely flawless. Runs like a champ and the only time it has jammed is when my daughter (13 years Old) shot it and limp wristed it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have the P3AT and the PPK .380. The Kel-Tec has been flawless, but the Walther, new out of the box, FTF the first time I attempted to fire it. It turned out to be a burr on the ramp. I think for the price difference you ought to consider the Kel-Tec. I take issue with the 7000 rnd. lifespan of the KT as they all come with a lifetime warr and from what I hear , they take it seriously.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts