Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a PPS. Confused by forums on which to get, the 9 or 40. Some say the 40 has too much recoil for a small light gun compared to the 9. Is one of these more reliable than the other for not jamming, etc? Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I am getting a PPS. Confused by forums on which to get, the 9 or 40. Some say the 40 has too much recoil for a small light gun compared to the 9. Is one of these more reliable than the other for not jamming, etc? Any and all help is appreciated.
I have both but carry the 9mm daily. The .40 sits in the safe and get range time on occasion. Both are great. Both function flawlessly. I like the 9mm because I purchased it first. :bier:

·
Registered
712 Posts
I tried both before I purchased the 9mm. I am using it as a BUG and I liked the higher round count. There is a difference in recoil because the .40 has a heavier bullet. Not too bad but I chose the 9mm. My main carry is usually a .45 but I do use the .40 and 9mm on occassion.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I definitely prefer the 9MM over the .40 due to my ability to handle followup shots quicker with greater accuracy. I get better overall shot placement.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Get the 9mm. The recoil is slightly less and practice ammo is much cheaper. 9mm is ubiquitous. You also get 1 additional round per magazine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got the PPS 9mm after much review and being a volume shooter. Putting a lot of power in a small gun goes back many decades (i.e. .45 ACP Commanders) with unrealiabilty. Sure enough, check the forums and the PPS .40 has it's share of problems. Using a 147 gr. JHP 9mm in the PPS is very shootable, accurate and plenty for self-defense. Although I shoot almost everything, including 10mm and .45 ACP, my G22 .40 S&W is my least favorite. Now put that .40 S&W in a PPS or a small G27, and it's no fun. By the way, second shot recovery is much better in 9mm.

·
Registered
281 Posts
has walther resolved their issues with FTE and slide problems I have read on the PPS's
I believe that was pretty much real early models. I had a few FTE's during the first 50 rounds but no failures through 1000+.

I never was one for believing any gun needs breakin to not fail.

After building my Custom Defender I pretty much have my gunsmith look at anything I buy to see if it can b tweeked to be even more reliable.

only guns I have NEVER had any failure EVER bone stock are

H&K USP compact .40 and Walther P990.

I sold a Kimber Raptor that would not feed 5 rounds in a row to save it's life. Not a big Kimber fan from that Experience

Walther stuff that comes from Germany (avoid the s&w stuff) is top notch product IMO!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Works for me

Although my usual gun of choice is a 1911 in 45ap, I do carry a PPS in 9mm and love it. Never had any feeding or other malfunctions and it feels great in the hand. I would say 9mm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at picking up a PPS in 9mm soon.

The owner at the range I go too said too not even bother with the 40 as the kick was too much, also, according to PPS Owners Forum, the 40 has/had the majority of the problems.

There's an excellent write up here on how to properly care for your PPS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts