Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a small 9mm. I was considering a Glock 19 or 26. My wife does not like the lack of safeties (something I consider an advantage in an SD firearm, but gotta find common ground). The Walther PPS popped up on my radar because of the back-strap safety/decocker.

Are there any PPS owners that would like to let me know what you think? How safe is it without the backstrap? Can a bright, inquisitive kid defeat it?

Also, I noticed the PPK/S recall thread. Is the PPS included in that?

Last, on forums elsewhere, I've seen mention of failure to return to battery after 20 to 40 rounds, on new PPSs. I believe that the return spring on the slide was popping out of place. Anyone experience this?

Thanks!
-M

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
PM Siafu...he is a big proponent of the PPS. I think he has one in 9 and 40.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
The PPS is a good sized gun for CCW, there is not decocker unless this is a new version you have seen. The backstrap safety is really a storage only , a good gun safe or lock would serve much better in that aspect.
The PPK recall does not include the PPS as it is a different model of gun. No idea on the return spring issue , as I have not had any issues.
Overall the gun is a good carry piece with a good holster to cover the trigger. It is a bit bit for easy pocket carry but works (albeit with some printing in cargo shorts or causual pants).On the waist my PPS disappears . I wear mine in a high ride appendix position.
One down side is spare mags are expensive if you want more than the 2 provided by the factory. Recoil is very mangable in the 9mm version and the single stack grip fits well , with a angle similar to a 1911 rather than a Glock .
I see you are in MI, if you are close or in the N. MI area feel free to PM me, maybe we can get together for you to try mine.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have over 3500 rounds thru my 9mm PPS over the last year. It is accurate and dependable. I have the G26 and G27 but the PPS is much thinner for pocket carry. I don't see much difference in carry safety between the Glocks and the PPS. The backstrap is a storage safety. You can accomplish the same thing by unloading the gun and seperating the ammo. The PPS is NOT included in the PPK recall. Completely different frame and design.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have one in 9mm, very nice, no problems, but no external safety, if that's an issue. I recommend putting on whatever backstrap is most comfortable and leave it on. Dry fire for disassembly and cleaning, just like it was a Glock. I like mine for comfort and concealment.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you're worried about making a gun safe for storage around kids the backstrap "safety" would probably work OK. It's not meant to be a decocker in the traditional sense of the word. Other than storing the gun without the backstrap on the gun its very Glock-like. I have a Hogue hand-all on mine which makes the backstrap non-removable. It is extremely concealable in an IWB holster but, unless you've got cargo pockets, hard to pocket carry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I own a PPS. I am thinking that I will sell it and purchase a glock 19 for the following reasons:

1.) Higher capacity in the glock
2.) Cheaper mags, $20 vs $50
3.) The weigh nearly the same
4.) The difference in dimensions isn't great enough to make the glock 19 that more difficult to conceal for me.

My PPS has been reliable, I bought it used with 3 mags, great gun but I think a double stack 9 is what i'm going for, and the glock 19 seems to fit the bill the best due to its dimensions and light weight. Also I think a double stack 9 is a better choice for home defense than a single stack (for me).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your responses. I am going to have to make another trip to the local dealer and give it another look. This does sound like something I may like for EDC. I like the chambered round indicator also.

Rocky: I really appreciate the offer. I'm in the Lansing MI area, so it might be a bit of a drive.

Here are the forums where the failures were discussed

http : // concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=954 (remove the spaces to make the link work).

The thread is from 2007, and it doesn't sound like anyone here is having the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
The PPS has always interested me. Something along the same line that I have always carried is the Kahr P9. Look in to the P9 and see what you think.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The backstrap safety is clearly just a storage action; just separate the magazine! VEry accurate and very comfortable; much more comfortable than my Glock 19. Your wife will be very happy with a PPS and will feel better with it versus a 19.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts