Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a 1911 but money is tight,I'm looking at $600.00 or less,I want it to be mil-spec.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Springfield Mil Spec 1911A1

·
Registered
312 Posts
Springfield Mil Spec or GI, Taurus, Rock Island, all make a decent 1911 for that price range. You might even look for a higher end used model.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The new Para Expert has been given great reviews. Lots of features and a $600 list price.

·
Registered
829 Posts
For that money you can get close to a SA Milspec, for me it would be worth skipping a few lunches and coffee's and hold out for the selection of the Loaded Pistols Springfield has... Milspec is a good base pistol only two models, not sight options, etc... Would depend on intended use somewhat. I am considering the GI to convert to a carbine... only need the lower so the barrel and sights and other extras don't mean as quite as much...

you may want to check the 1911 forums and other gun boards listing guns for sale, you may be able to grab a used in good condition with the higher end features...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Tauras PT 1911

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I bought a Springfield (GI) a couple months ago . . . I couldn't be happier with it. Nice gun, shoots great and very accurate for the old style (low) military sights. I gave about $500.00 for it NIB.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
The Springfield GI45 or Mil-Spec is probably the best you're going to get on that budget, or the Taurus PT1911.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Tauras PT 1911
Seconded!

As within the parameters requested/required a new Taurus PT111 can be had for as little as $580 and $590, shipped (!).

Code:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_cat_search.php?cated=26&manufacturers_id=85&ITATR_list[2]=5758&ITATR_list[3]=302&ITATR_list[4]=&ITATR_list[5]=&ITATR_list[6]=&ITATR_list[7]=&ITATR_list[8]=&ITATR_list[9]=&ITATR_list[0]=

Note: Copy and paste the entirety of the above URL string into a new browser window.
- Janq

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am a Springfield fan. If I could not find what I wanted I would look at the Taurus 1911's. They seem to be a good gun and you can get stainless in that price range. If price was not a factor, Springer all the way.

Armydad

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I want to get a 1911 but money is tight,I'm looking at $600.00 or less,I want it to be mil-spec.
Any suggestions?
1. All 1911's are MIL-SPEC... a 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911.
2. I bought an Auto Ordinance 1911 for about $500ish. I love it :smile:

Also check out High Standards, Rock Island's and lower end Springfields. Just gotta look around.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Rock Island Armory Tactical.

And you'll still have money left over to buy ammo & a holster.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I've got a Taurus PT1911AR, no complaints here (other than the lack of available holsters for the railed version)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Count another vote for a Springfield Mil Spec. I could not be happier with mine. You can still find them used in good condition for under $500 if you look around.

-B

·
Registered
88 Posts
Any suggestions?
Gotta love the rock island models, dang fine guns for the price. Even better if you can find one is the doublestar 1911's have seen them on buds every so often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have two SAs. A 5” and a 4”. They started off as GIs but have been considerably upgraded. When I bought them a few years ago they were less than $500 and out of the box they never had an FTF and ate any ammo I fed them. I highly recommend them as a great place to start with any 1911, but beware, after the bug bites you will have them looking like a Loaded Springer before your through.

Deadshot

1 - 20 of 28 Posts