Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Email I received yesterday:

Statement from Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director, regarding inaccurate NBC story alleging that NRA won't oppose background check bill

An article appearing today on NBCNews.com is falsely reporting that NRA will not oppose legislation being negotiated in the U.S. Senate that would mandate background checks for all gun purchasers.

The story posted on NBCNews.com alleges that NRA will not oppose expanding the background check system to include all private firearm sales, "provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks". This statement is completely untrue. The NRA opposes criminalizing private firearms transfers between law-abiding individuals, and therefore opposes an expansion of the background check system.

The NRA supports meaningful efforts to address the problems of violent crime and mass violence in America, through swift and certain prosecution of violent criminals; securing our schools; and fixing our broken mental health system.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The NRA denies being part of any agreement. "We do not take positions on hypotheticals. We will make our position known if and when legislation is introduced," said Chris Cox, the group's top lobbyist.

The NRA is still adamantly opposed to expanding background checks to private sales. "To be clear, the National Rifle Association does not support legislation that would criminalize otherwise lawful transfers of firearms between law abiding Americans," Cox said.
It seems the headline comes not from the NRA, but from what other people think the NRA will do. Still if you are concerned, contact the NRA.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Email I received yesterday:

Statement from Chris W. Cox, NRA-ILA Executive Director, regarding inaccurate NBC story alleging that NRA won't oppose background check bill

An article appearing today on NBCNews.com is falsely reporting that NRA will not oppose legislation being negotiated in the U.S. Senate that would mandate background checks for all gun purchasers.

The story posted on NBCNews.com alleges that NRA will not oppose expanding the background check system to include all private firearm sales, "provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks". This statement is completely untrue. The NRA opposes criminalizing private firearms transfers between law-abiding individuals, and therefore opposes an expansion of the background check system.

The NRA supports meaningful efforts to address the problems of violent crime and mass violence in America, through swift and certain prosecution of violent criminals; securing our schools; and fixing our broken mental health system.
Thanks. I hope your email from Cox is accurately describing the situation. I can see this as a card being held and it being played willingly if there was enough support for the whole gun package. As things stand now, there's no reason to compromise on any additional gun restrictions.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems the headline comes not from the NRA, but from what other people think the NRA will do. Still if you are concerned, contact the NRA.
Have, but have not gotten a response yet.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
NBC News... the folks who edited the Zimmerman/Martin 911 tapes to emasculate Zimmerans story.
NBC News... the folks who edited the video of a Sandy Hook parent's interview then cried "Heckler!" when a pro-rights audience member answered that parent's question.
NBC News... the folks who hurried to release completely inaccurate information regarding the weapons used at Sandy Hook.
NBC News... 'nuff said.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
NBC News... the folks who edited the Zimmerman/Martin 911 tapes to emasculate Zimmerans story.
NBC News... the folks who edited the video of a Sandy Hook parent's interview then cried "Heckler!" when a pro-rights audience member answered that parent's question.
NBC News... the folks who hurried to release completely inaccurate information regarding the weapons used at Sandy Hook.
NBC News... 'nuff said.
NBC is owned by that mega rich billionaire maggot Soros.

·
Super Moderator
22,275 Posts
NBC is owned by GE (49%) and Comcast (51%).

·
Registered
606 Posts
NBC News... 'nuff said.

Don't forget ABC News. They were just caught "editing" too.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'm a +50 year lifer with the NRA. My Grandfather bought all his grandsons a Life Membership on the day we were born :top:. The NRA has always been at the forefront my legislative advocacy related to 2nd Amendment issues. If they begin, in my view, to waver from prioritizing the interests of its members I will drop my support like a hot horseshoe. I suggest y'all do the same. Until such time, they are historically our strongest ally. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
The first line of the NBC report: "Senators negotiating a bill mandating background checks for all gun buyers are privately expecting the National Rifle Association not to fight the measure -- provided the legislation does not require private gun sellers to maintain records of the checks, NBC News has learned."

Care to make any wagers on which senators she is referring to, or what "privately expecting" translates to?

The NRA has made its share goofs in the past, but it still amazes me how quickly some folks are willing to take the words of the anti-gun media at face value. They have proven that it is their intent to divide NRA membership from its leadership, yet many seem instantly willing to take the bait.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
The NRA has made its share goofs in the past, but it still amazes me how quickly some folks are willing to take the words of the anti-gun media at face value. They have proven that it is their intent to divide NRA membership from its leadership, yet many seem instantly willing to take the bait.
Mike, it's because too many people in our camp would rather circle the firing squad than tangle with an enemy they don't understand.

I write about Cox's statement here, down about halfway:

Doctor refutes research about gun laws, deaths - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I think and Im the first to admit Im not the brightest bulb in the lamp, that a lot of us and I mean a lot that have followed the lead of NRA and " lets be responsible and not upset the sheep" are sick and tired of almost every organization and politician on our side arguing from a stance that ANY of this stuff is legal!!!! Or ever was!!

The Constitution says what it says and it does not any place give SCOTUS POTUS or any other otus or anyone else any authority to regulate guns their ownership or carry period. What is wrong with simply stating the facts that all this illegal. could be grounds for being tried for treason etc etc and standing on that instead of bleating and bleating arguing with those who HAVE NO DARNED AUTHORITY TO DO WHAT THEY HAVE BEEN DOING FOR A LONG TIME AND should be on trial for trying it. Acting like they have some legal ground to stand on when they absolutely do not and never did have!!:aargh4:

Its not that we dont understand. We dont understand why our advocates dont understand that illegal is illegal no matter who is doing it and that this whole thing should be fought from that point and that point alone. And backed up any way it needs to be to enforce it. Ok rant over. But somebody more important than me needs to be saying this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Why re people so interested in believing the bad? The NRA has done more for gun ownership period. The place they really shine is education of children. Placing standards of instruction that don't exist in any other organization.

Ther is a time in our nation that men and women must stand shoulder to shoulder and that time is now. Quit listening to the dividers of truth. When the NRA is ready to make a stand they will notify all members. There is not a single law in writing just a bunch of feel good liberals beating their gums.

Lets wait and see how the laundry hangs out and again stand shoulder to shoulder.\\

Just my opinion.

Bill

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Why re people so interested in believing the bad? The NRA has done more for gun ownership period. The place they really shine is education of children. Placing standards of instruction that don't exist in any other organization.

Ther is a time in our nation that men and women must stand shoulder to shoulder and that time is now. Quit listening to the dividers of truth. When the NRA is ready to make a stand they will notify all members. There is not a single law in writing just a bunch of feel good liberals beating their gums.

Lets wait and see how the laundry hangs out and again stand shoulder to shoulder.\\

Just my opinion.

Bill
Im not knocking NRA by itself understand. But why do we continually act as if they had the power to pass the very first gun reg?? They didnt. It is expressly forbidden in 2A. It was criminal then and its criminal now.
As far as looking for the laundry hanging theres enough already hanging to throw up over.
We should not have to go thru a check to get a gun. Or a permit to carry one concealed or open anyplace anytime end of story. That is our legal right guaranteed by the Constitution and not to be interfered with. Ever.
Theres nothing to wait on. Enough has already been done to violate 2A that heads should have rolled years ago. Waiting now is just waiting for them to pass something else they HAVE NO DARN AUTHORITY TO PASS.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts

Just my opinion.

Bill
I agree, but I don't see anything wrong with the OP getting a concern out there to be viewed though it should be looked at carefully. Everything needs to be constantly scrutinized now days because there's not much out there that would actually surprise us anymore.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Well, I don't care for a lot of what the NRA does either! They're so big now they don't care about anything but the dollar anymore.

I don't like all the spam I get, I don't like that they are NOT a zero compromise organization, they were founded to sell magazines by golly!

I especially despise the tens of millions they squander on their historic private gun collection and museum, their exorbitant salaries for executives, etc. instead of using our membership monies for the intended purpose. They are empire building plain and simple!

However, their the only game in town that is effective in swaying legislation back to the people.

I would suggest Gun Owners of America (GOA) as the only non-compromise and efficient organization for your 2nd Amendment freedoms.

The NRA has done more for our firearm freedoms as an organization based on membership than anyone. I absolutely hate some of the things they do and stances they sometimes take, however, I'll continue to support them as long as they have my interest at heart.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I received the following email from the NRA this morning regarding this matter:

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
True or false, the story has achieved one goal, it has led to many members questioning the NRA on it's stand on the issue. If we allow these stories to cast doubt within our ranks and of our support organizations we have lost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts