Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Army builds new 18.6-mile-range tank-killing weapon

The new weapon represents an exponential leap beyond existing state-of-the-art anti-tank weapons such as the TOW and Javelin missiles; the Javelin reaches ranges up to 2.5 miles and the TOW missile can hit targets out to 3,000 meters (9,842.5 feet). The Excalibur “shaped charge” brings an entirely new anti-tank weapon, able to reach as far as 30km (18.64 miles).

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/army-builds-new-18-6-mile-range-tank-killing-weapon

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The truly amazing technology is not the shell per se. It is getting the electronics to survive the thousands of G's involved in firing them out of a 155mm cannon.

·
Administrator
143,366 Posts
That might make tanks obsolete and so....what comes next???
Why is it that we can always come up with superior ways to wipe out bad guy humans but my cable blacked out right in the middle of Naked & Afraid XL ???

WHY can we not figure out a way to NOT kill my TV? :mad:
I apologize for the off topic but I was multitasking the forum & that show.

I guess I'll put my clothes back on sit on my front porch for a while. :rofl:

·
Registered
827 Posts
I am reminded of WW1's "Paris Gun."
The German Army and Krupp worked together to create a piece of conventional artillery which was capable of hitting targets 75 miles away, and even a little further. One of them was emplaced in a corner of the front line near the city of Laön, and it proceeded to drop HE shells into the center of greater downtown Paris. Pandemonium ensued.
No piece of conventional artillery has ever shot at such a great distance, either before or since. The German artillerists had to compensate for the rotation of the Earth while the gun's shell was in flight, and the shell's trajectory took it briefly into the stratosphere.

In the 1970s, the gun's concrete emplacements (there were, I think, three) were still visible and visitable. My former wife and I found and explored them. I believe that only one of them still exists today.
We visited the emplacements, and then we also visited the specific place in Paris where the first shell fell. It hit a cathedral church, it was on Sunday, and there was loss of life. Most of the other shells caused very little physical damage, but they caused lots of panic and morale damage.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Gun

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
That might make tanks obsolete and so....what comes next???
Why is it that we can always come up with superior ways to wipe out bad guy humans but my cable blacked out right in the middle of Naked & Afraid XL ???

WHY can we not figure out a way to NOT kill my TV? :mad:
I apologize for the off topic but I was multitasking the forum & that show.

I guess I'll put my clothes back on sit on my front porch for a while. :rofl:
I had the same thought.
The Aircraft Carrier made the Battleship obsolete.
What will replace the tank when you can wipe them out 18 miles away?
Maybe tanks of the future will have a system to track these coming in and take them out before they reach the target.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Army builds new 18.6-mile-range tank-killing weapon

The new weapon represents an exponential leap beyond existing state-of-the-art anti-tank weapons such as the TOW and Javelin missiles; the Javelin reaches ranges up to 2.5 miles and the TOW missile can hit targets out to 3,000 meters (9,842.5 feet). The Excalibur “shaped charge” brings an entirely new anti-tank weapon, able to reach as far as 30km (18.64 miles).

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/army-builds-new-18-6-mile-range-tank-killing-weapon
Hopefully that never gets in the hands of the Tangos!

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Tanks in some form or other will never be obsolete. You will always need a protected way to move, shoot and communicate on the battlefield.

We are already seeing active protection systems on tanks, which shoot down incoming projectiles.

Tanks alone, like infantry alone, are vulnerable. That’s why you fight as a combined arms team. Tanks, infantry, artillery, engineers, naval and air assets, all working together.

This artillery shell is just an adaptation of the Excalibur shell and a descendant of the old Copperhead shell. Glad it’s on our side.

But folks have been writing the tank off since the end of WW2. Measure, countermeasure.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Still need infantry and armored fighting vehicles to occupy territory.
With a precision guided weapon, you have to be able to find the target, maintain acquisition, and maintain uninterrupted communication with the weapon. Terrain and weather can make that difficult to achieve on a moving target.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts

·
Registered
33,951 Posts
Apparently I have been watching Naked and Afraid all wrong...

Reactions: M1911A1

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Please explain how GPS guidance is used remotely target a moving armor asset?

There has to some sort of active feedback control loop that isn't discussed in the article.

For all I know, my company is contributing to the development. Sounds right up our alley.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Please explain how GPS guidance is used remotely target a moving armor asset?

There has to some sort of active feedback control loop that isn't discussed in the article.

For all I know, my company is contributing to the development. Sounds right up our alley.
Most likely GPS gets the shell to the desired area, then imaging IR or a laser seeker takes over for the terminal dive onto the target. It could also potentially use millimetric wave radar.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Most likely GPS gets the shell to the desired area, then imaging IR or a laser seeker takes over for the terminal dive onto the target. It could also potentially use millimetric wave radar.
Yes- It would interesting to see what is being used for target discrimination and terminal guidance. A laser would support an advanced version of the Copperhead, and requires something with line-of-sight to paint the target. The others require some sort of intelligence on target selection, all while closing at up to a couple 1000 fps.

Reactions: 10thmtn
1 - 20 of 21 Posts