Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Choosing a new flashlight, and in the same light, I have the option of warm or white. Curious as to what everyone prefers and why.

Thought I read somewhere that warm is better for rainy/foggy conditions? Could be totally wrong though.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Negative. Did some more research, and I guess it boils down to the led bulb. From what I can tell, warm is easier on the eyes and produces a richer color (doesn't wash out as easily). Warm is what old school flashlights would be similar to. White is brighter, and washes out colors. Sounds like most folks prefer white in their tactical lights. If you are on the receiving end, the truer the white, the more difficult/distracting the light would be.

Think I'm going with white vs warm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with neutral white vs. Cool white with mine. Just as bright but easier on the eyes and truer colors for outside and emrrgency medical work. The light can blast a strobe of 800 lumens though so I'm not worried about the extra harshness from the cool white making mich difference

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I prefer white.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Those are terms that refer to the color temperature of the light. It depends on your intended use, of course, but generally speaking, a whiter light is better for picking out details and for accurate color rendition while soft white is easier on the eyes for reading or other close work. For defensive use, the whiter and brighter, the better.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
3 D cell Maglight LED is the only light I keep around...one at each door and one in the nightstand. It will light up a target clearly at 100 yards, which is the exact distance from my back door to the shoreline of the lake behind me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts