Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I am asking is simple.. First I really don't know, and have not seen it discussed here as yet....

Lets say you are out and about, and a possible altercation starts up.. it can take many forms..

1-Guy looking in the window of your car, checking out what you have in the car, you say something, and he approaches angrily, fists clenched, cursing etc, and you say something like-
" Look pal I am armed, I have a gun, and you need to back off"

2- Or someone is panhandling, you don't give a hand out, and he gets really pissed, and approaches you in an aggresive, angry way.. You say, "Look,I have a gun on me, I want no trouble, just turn around and go"

Stuff like that,, You are in a situation that can turn bad real fast, and do NOT want to pull the gun, as brandishing can get you arrested, but you REALLY need the nasty looking, pissed off, BIG, tough guy to just let you be ,and quickly...

I hope never to be in this situation, I never want to have to pull my gun and fire, never want to feel the need to show a BG I have one, OR even warn him I have one.. However I am simply curious as to the consequences of telling a person thats way too close, or way too pissed , or both, that you are armed and they need to rethink their aggressive posture.. any thoughts on this?.... Could this be considered a form of "brandishing"? bob

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Personally,i would not give a warning,it may piss them off even more,plus I like the element of surprise. you should first try to retreat or defuse the situation,then if all else fails and you feel your life is in danger then go for it.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Sorry only warning he gets is the first round penetrating. ok seriously I am removing myself from the situation if I can. If it is going south I am not getting in a conversation with him. You get distracted when that happens , next thing you know he has your gun or he uses his. He will see the weapon pointed right at him . If it is to late for that see my first statement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been carrying for years and never been in the situation, but my training and plan would be that my weapon would never be mentioned. He would get a warning to "back off-your threatening me" while my hand was on my weapon. He'd know I had one when it was pointed at him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I think you're over thinking it. Don't you know where panhandlers are where you live? If so, avoid them in the first place. Second, angry guys coming up and looking in your car? When does this ever happen?

Avoid road rage situations, don't stop your car where there are panhandlers, keep your doors locked and windows rolled up. If you are unable to avoid those, then carry bear spray in your car. It's the one time when having 'extra gear' at hand doesn't hamper you. Again, though avoid those don't buy into them.

·
Premium Member
8,338 Posts
When you are speaking, your reaction time is slowed considerably. Why would you want to slow your reaction time when simultaneously warning a person that you are armed?

Regardless, Mike1956 tipped the more likely end result to this scenario.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
No warning...........back off, is sufficient if a weapon is not produced.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Personally,i would not give a warning,it may piss them off even more,plus I like the element of surprise. you should first try to retreat or defuse the situation,then if all else fails and you feel your life is in danger then go for it.
I think you're over thinking it. Don't you know where panhandlers are where you live? If so, avoid them in the first place. Second, angry guys coming up and looking in your car? When does this ever happen?

Avoid road rage situations, don't stop your car where there are panhandlers, keep your doors locked and windows rolled up. If you are unable to avoid those, then carry bear spray in your car. It's the one time when having 'extra gear' at hand doesn't hamper you. Again, though avoid those don't buy into them.
ScreScrew

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would not show my hand. I see you are in NY which would make me even more leery about saying anything. Reason; if it doesn't go anywhere in the way of a problem, you know they will call 911 and say you threatened them (even if you didn't).
The less you say could be more, remember, actions speak louder than words. Like other have suggested, if you feel a threat, have you hand on your weapon and be ready to draw (and fire if necessary).
Be prudent and humble at all times when CCW'ing.....IMHO, no one needs a problem or risk of loosing your permit.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Second, angry guys coming up and looking in your car? When does this ever happen?
when you're in your neighbors Lexus with his wife? :hand5:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I could not have said it better!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Those were just theoretical scenarios of course.. Any type of situation, that was escalating, that might get physical, and might not be easy to walk away from.. plug in any scenario you would like.. I simply want opinions on if this is a justifiable course of action when a situation deteriorates quickly.
Let the guy get close enough to hit or grab you?
Let him hit or grab you before producing the weapon?
Warm him you are armed and ready to defend yourself?
When he approaches with anger, just wheel and fire?...
I dunno, it seems to me that a warning is the best answer, but I could be 100% wrong in the minds of the membership here.. thats why I made this thread.. Good robust debate. Get people thinking... bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ask Paul Lathrop about what can happen if you warn someone you are armed:

Charges Dropped Against Paul Lathrop - His Story

Yep.. "Silver Glock Revolver".. Where can I buy one??..... That alone should have told the cops the complainant was full of ****...
Otherwise a very scary story simply for telling someone you have a gun...

I suppose if you say, "Back off unless you want a bullet in the head" rather than, "I am armed, you need to back off" it might go worse for you.. or not... I guess I figured it was better to let someone know that his threatening stance needed to stop NOW, was better than drawing and firing... I just wonder where that line is drawn..

If a guy is aggressive and ready to strike, but doesn't for some reason its all good..
If a guy is aggressive and ready to strike and does, and you don't pull your weapon, you might be dead, or badly injured.
If a guy is aggresive and ready to strike and you warn him, and he does back off, YOU might go to jail, and lose your right to carry and gun ownership... Seems like the odds aren't in favor of CC folks..
I was under the impression that our weapons helped our odds in a bad situation.... These types of write ups make me wonder sometimes... bob

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Umm, guns should never be used to threaten. They are meant to be used or not used. There is no third choice.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I use a weak hand 'stop' gesture as I grasp my arm with my strong hand . Having done this more than once my look and demeanor are very convincing . If I have to speak it will usually sound like ,
"There's gonna be a lot of loud singing and slow walking at your house tonight if you take a step closer ."
That is not a threat , it is a promise ..............

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Um, why would you want to give him the upper hand in any way by verbally warning him you have a gun........ It is a good question you need to be aware of the consequences and think through completely and understand your decision before you carry in public.

Sounds like; I have a gun and I might use it.
I have a gun and I dare you to make me pull it out and use it.
I promise you I have a gun and you better stop or I might be quicker than you.

If you feel the need to warn him then it should already be out.
He could likely pull his own gun as soon as the words leave your lips.

If your gun is your only weapon to stop an aggravated assault you will want to have your gun on him first. And be 100% sure you will use & can use it next.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts