Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a warning at the password prompt when logging on to the effect, "This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised. Learn more." I don't click to learn more. Is this on my end or on the site's end? I can send or post a screen shot of the warning if necessary. Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm getting a warning at the password prompt when logging on to the effect, "This connection is not secure. Logins entered here could be compromised. Learn more." I don't click to learn more. Is this on my end or on the site's end? I can send or post a screen shot of the warning if necessary. Thanks!
Depends on your browser and the security measures that you added or are built into it.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
It sounds like yoiu are using Firefox. It just updated to version 52 and is letting you know that this site is not using the Secure socket layer (https).

Reactions: frgood and Arejay

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
It sounds like yoiu are using Firefox. It just updated to version 52 and is letting you know that this site is not using the Secure socket layer (https).
Yeah, I began seeing the same thing after a Firefox update (just during the last few days.)

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Anyone getting the "fake" Firefox updates?

·
Administrator
Community Manager
1,627 Posts
The gap in security your browser is pointing out is common on most sites, but Google has decided to start highlighting it now. (I've been seeing this on Firefox too.) It's telling you that the site is vulnerable to a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle), where someone intercepts what you are typing on the site. Since everything you type here is view-able to all, this has never been a thing it made sense to protect against. As long as you aren't typing your password into a thread in plain text, or your bank info, this doesn't affect you.

All that said, we are going to upgrade all our network over the coming months to HTTPS to make our pages secure.

·
Super Moderator
18,045 Posts
I am getting the same warning on my laptop running Linux and Firefox but nothing on my desktop running Win 7 and Firefox.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gap in security your browser is pointing out is common on most sites, but Google has decided to start highlighting it now. (I've been seeing this on Firefox too.) It's telling you that the site is vulnerable to a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle), where someone intercepts what you are typing on the site. Since everything you type here is view-able to all, this has never been a thing it made sense to protect against. As long as you aren't typing your password into a thread in plain text, or your bank info, this doesn't affect you.

All that said, we are going to upgrade all our network over the coming months to HTTPS to make our pages secure.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
These insecure logins really tax my self confidence.

Sent via my subspace communicator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts