Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I don't know of any legitimate police trainer that would advocate warning shots! Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I have heeded the suggestion that EVERY round in my gun has a lawyer attached to it. A warning-shot may look good in old Westerns, at the saloon, to stop a fight. But movies are...MOVIES! :image035:

·
Registered
862 Posts
1. The use of deadly force is justified; ok, I have a deadly force situation, but I am going to fire a warning shot, risking the bad guy killing me or someone else while I try to prevent injury to the bad guy?

2. The warning shot will not pose a substantial risk of injury or death to the officer or others; So I am going to risk injury to someone else to prevent injury to the bad guy. If the bad guy shoots someone after my warning shot, everyone is going to say I should have shot the bad guy.

3. The officer reasonably believes that the warning shot will reduce the possibility that deadly force will have to be used. Jus how am I going to know that?

1. No
2. No
3. No

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
Not meaning to be the contrarian to all the everybody-knows traditional wisdom on this particular topic, but I can think of several scenarios in which warning shots might be appropriate.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Not meaning to be the contrarian to all the everybody-knows traditional wisdom on this particular topic, but I can think of several scenarios in which warning shots might be appropriate.
Like being on a boat in the middle of the ocean and some guy onboard is threatening to throw an angry, accidentally-caught squid at me. He gets one warning, fired into the deep blue, before I turn him into shark poop.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Same here, and you can bet there's going to be SOP orders on when it is and isn't acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
While you are looking around to see if it’s safe to fire a warning shot you are giving the criminal more time to shoot you, I think not.

Reactions: PM

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
While you are looking around to see if it’s safe to fire a warning shot you are giving the criminal more time to shoot you, I think not.
That's not when it would be used, not judiciously anyway.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've never personally been anything even close to a LEO of any type, are they currently forbidden to fire a warning shot under any circumstance whatsoever? I'm sure it will vary by department and locality but generally speaking.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Well shoot. All that time training with the PD right out the window. If deadly force is needed then your suppose to shoot them to the ground. Now there are more tools in the tool box to set up the officer for failure. What a great time this will be....

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
"Cunningham was struck by the anecdotes of situations in which warning shots saved a life — or might have, had they been allowed."

Maybe if he was struck by an errant bullet from a warning shot he might alter his perspective......just sayin...:confused:

This article proves that there are REMFs everywhere........

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Same here, and you can bet there's going to be SOP orders on when it is and isn't acceptable.
So what would be acceptable circumstances for warning shots.

BTW, some of the SOPs in my workplace read like they were written by a 4th grader. 8^(

·
Banned
19,639 Posts

BTW, some of the SOPs in my workplace read like they were written by a 4th grader. 8^(
I'll leave that to the admins who will set the guidelines. I can't answer the question as I no longer fall under leo SOP's. I think Harry makes a great point in that when you give people more options it gives them more options to incorrectly apply it.

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts

Looking at him through the Leupold at 400 yards while he is doing whatever he is doing immediately comes to mind. It worked on some dope harvesters here back in the seventies.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking at him through the Leupold at 400 yards while he is doing whatever he is doing immediately comes to mind. It worked on some dope harvesters here back in the seventies.
Nothing says "get out of here" like some bullets whizzing by, I guess.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts