Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making this post on two different sites to get as much feedback as possible.

I am seeking some advice on formally educating a LEO officer after the following incident.

Several weeks ago I was open carrying (legal in my state) and I was confronted, handcuffed and placed under arrest. I tried to explain to the officer that open carry was legal in NH, and he was quiet sure that it wasn’t, and he was very rude in the process calling me “ignorant” on the law, along with the general sermon that one can expect on why guns are dangerous for those not in law enforcement to carry. Well, as it turns out I happen to be good friends with the Police Chief of the town were this occurred, and when he heard of what happened (my lawyer called him) he came in to talk with me. I explained what happened and after he heard his officer out, he assured me that I was in the correct in the law and that charges would be dropped, but the officer was refusing to let it go. This led to some legal issues. These issues are now resolved and I have had a long talk with the police chief and with my lawyer present we talked with the arresting officer (and his lawyer) and we came to a resolution. With the blessings of the police chief, I threatened a law suite, but would agree to not pursue the lawsuit IF the arresting officer went through some extensive training regarding the right to carry, 2nd amendment etc, as well as not having anything on his record for this false arrest.

Now that the legal stuff has been cleared, I have until Monday to provide a training program for the officer (pending approval by him and his lawyer). We have agreed to the officer taking 20 hours of training. In this state there is requirement to take a course but I have made arrangements with a gentleman who has taught in Virginia extensively, and now lives here. He informs me that with this officer, he can take up 4 to 6 hours of the 20 hours agreed upon.

The question is, what should I propose? I have this LEO over the barrel. If we can’t agree on what he can take, then the lawsuit can be followed through on along with a permanent letter of reprimand in his file, but I don’t want to do this because the Chief is a friend of mine (and 2A friendly). He has been in my corner the whole way, and I want to try to convert an anti LEO into a pro. Something I think I can accomplish.

So any suggestions on what to suggest for 2A training?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'd suggest that he join this forum and participate in a constructive manner and read posts.
Hopefuly, he will begin to understand the mindset of law abiding citizens that exercise their rights as prescribed in the 2nd amendment of the Constitution.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I second the motion of having him join CC !!

Maybe buy him serval books and have him write a 1000 word essay about the book he reads and why 2A is important for americans. Count each book as 3 to 5 hours and essay must be done in one week. Just an idea.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Five seconds to tell him "A gun is legal for a NH citizen to open carry" and 19 hours 59 minutes, 55 seconds of him processing Armed Citizen stories.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Send him to an anger management class.

Really, maybe he can write a short essay regarding the legality of open carry in your state and submit it for publication in a newsletter or something else that all the police in your state read.

Let him spread the good word to all the other LEOs that may not be aware of our rights.

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
there are good and bad folks in every job out there. While retraining is in order, perhaps having him not carry his gun for a week (off duty )might be a good reminder why all citizens should have 2nd Ammend. rights.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
+1 for Steve db. Awesome idea. cszy67 also has a good idea. Maybe have that distributed to all LEO agencies in NH and posted someplace for them to read?

It's good to see you are looking to help this LEO see the light and not nail him to a cross. Thats very big of you, man. Lots of respect for that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with steve_db.He could really learn alot from these foums.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
All great ideas and I think you should choose the top 4 ideas and spread that out over 20 hours as you see fit. I am loving the fact that you actually have the say so as to what he (The LEO) must do in order to serve his time as we would have to do if it were us.

Think like a judge and sentence him accordingly. Nice job by the way!

Ti

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Nothing that I have ever seen as broken down the us-vs-them barrior better than a four day handgun course at one of the "sights" school. I have seen it time and time again. An LEO or a group of LEO's will come into the course and be very standoffish. As soon as they see the quality of the citizens in the course the walls begin to be broken down.

At the end of four days of learning, sharing, helping, and comaraderie, (sp?) the officers leave with a whole new pespective on what a good armed civilian is really all about.

This goes way passed 20 hours and is definitely not a form of punishment. But what better way to show a confused LEO what law abiding gunowners are really about. If we pass at the chance to exact our revenge, give him something that will really show him the errors of his ways, and that will also benifit him, armed Americans will be shown in the very best light possible.

I have some cheap certificates, I will donate some of the expense. If anyone else thinks this is a good idea and wants to kick in, let me know.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Not to be a jerk and that is a good idea Sweetnbullets, but the expense should come from the officer that does not know his job as he should, not the guy falsly arrested or the forum member or members that would help either. This is a lesson he needs to learn and learning that lesson at his own expense is part of it IMO.

Ti.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It might be more effective is a statewide letter gets sent out to all law enforcement in the state on the 2a laws. This would (in theory) help others in the state with this problem. Maybe requiring an hour or so of training for all Fixing this one guy isn't really going to help anything, other than getting a little revenge.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
jarhead79 said:
It might be more effective is a statewide letter gets sent out to all law enforcement in the state on the 2a laws. This would (in theory) help others in the state with this problem. Maybe requiring an hour or so of training for all Fixing this one guy isn't really going to help anything, other than getting a little revenge.
I like this idea, but how about expanding it? What if he writes an X page article for a statewide or other LE journal on NH 2A and/or carry laws? He would learn what's there and would be educating others at the same time.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Make him join this forum, give him a list of subject to study from here, and have him write an essay covering these points. Also try to arrange for you, him and a knowledge person to go shooting with. You might be able to teach something and turn him into an ally.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
You have an outstanding resource right there in New Hampshire. Introduce the Officer to Massad Ayoob.

·
Registered
813 Posts
My hat is off to you, sir, for the way that you have dealt with the situation thus far. A couple great ideas here already. I like the essay as it turns this gentleman into a guinea pig (NO L.E. pun intended) for the 2A cause. Props to you for not busting balls too much and keeping the chief in your corner/ not burning bridges. Good luck...be sure to let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
380 Posts
For DMan,
That others of us in New Hampshire can be on the watch for inappropriate action towards us by uninformed LEOs as we are out and about, in what New Hampshire town or city was this incident?
I personally like the idea of having this LEO in question attend Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute, Levels 1 through 3 at least. Check it out at www.ayoob.com
Those 3 courses should cost the LEO probably $3000, spread out over a year or two if he can get space in the courses. Spending about two weeks overall in the classroom and at the range with Massad and us citizens who carry should get this LEO straightened out.
I hope your ideas to educate this LEO work. Can you report back to us with future results you have?
Thanks, bones

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great suggestions, guys.

I think one of the diligence would be the reading of this particular thread which would show any reasonable person that what we are about is education and safety, not revenge (as satisfying as that might be). Your most ardent proponents come from your most vocal critics. He may just need a hand, not a fist.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts