Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm reading through my state's (Washington state) RCW's and have a few questions on RCW 9.41.300 on places prohibited to carry.

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places?Local laws and ordinances?Exceptions?Penalty.

I have been reading around that a lot of local business such as costco, target, safeway and others have a no firearm carry policy at
their establishments.

I am new to concealed carry and always abide by the laws, but nowhere in these RCW's can I find anything about their rules carrying
any law whatsoever. If they notice, for whatever reason, that I am concealing my firearm, would they just ask me to leave and i'd
simply have to agree to do so since it is technically a private property establishment?

It just seems kind of ridiculous that literally every location around my area has some form of a no firearm policy (in which I can find no
law saying their policy carries any law). I'm not questioning my 2nd here, and I know there has been some buzz about establishments
and their firearm policies, but if their policy carries no laws, I'm feeling like my business is better dealt elsewhere at this point.

My local starbucks was robbed and shot up a while back, and everytime I stop by, I still see their no firearm signs. Oh, the irony.

Is it just a better sort of judgement at this point?

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
You are wise to seek answers to these questions. The above link is a good one that you should become familiar with. You should also continue reading the actual RCW's to which Handgunlaw.us refers.

What you are talking about is the difference between store policy and law and your understanding is correct. The store policy is simply that and has no force under law. You cannot be arrested for carrying into such a place unless an exception has been written into state law. You can be asked to comply or leave and if you refuse to leave you can then be arrested for trespass.

As things currently stand, WA has what is called state preemption of firearm law, meaning the state reserves to itself the power to make laws governing firearms. Seattle has been trying to get around this for some time without much success. Currently in question is their recent dictum regarding safe storage.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Do note that while most gun buster signs have no force of law here, There are exceptions. For example if you carry onto federal property such as the post office or a military base you will be charged under FEDERAL law.

As Trave1ingEast said, hundgunlaw.us is the place to check these things out. One question which arises often is about carrying into a bar, tavern or other places that serve alcohol. The rule of thumb which I think pretty well covers the law is this: Pretend that you are under 21. If you would not be able to be in that place because of your age, then you cannot carry there. Sorry gun. You are under 21. You cannot enter.

Welcome to Defensive Carry

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I'd also suggest, in addition to the excellent suggestions already, that you join a local gun forum in addition to this one. I know that Georgia Carry Organization has much more specific answers and several local attorneys that answer basic questions like this one under Georgia Law specifically. I'm sure that the Pacific Northwest Gun Forum can provide similar local support to a new CC holder.

Reactions: bwaedon

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Only thing I'll add regarding the post office is don't stash your gun in your car in their parking lot. If spotted you could be charged.
Park in the public street.
True if it is a standalone Post Office, however it is a branch post office in a shopping center or similar there is no problem carrying in the parking lot or stashing a gun in your car. That is unless WA has some weird law about this, I have no intention of going there so I haven't looked.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
True if it is a standalone Post Office, however it is a branch post office in a shopping center or similar there is no problem carrying in the parking lot or stashing a gun in your car. That is unless WA has some weird law about this, I have no intention of going there so I haven't looked.
Only on federal property, mall parking lot would be ok. Its federal law not state law.

·
Registered
719 Posts
welcome to the forum, private (open to the public) like Costco, if you are discovered you may be asked to leave, remember your membership application ?? well maybe the store staff call the police...and ask you to leave...or trespass you, it is a civil matter, not criminal unless you make it...the list of RCW no-go places makes it a matter of law, court houses are interesting places in Washington State, here law requires local courts to provide lockers or a designated person for custody of your weapon while you do business in the court...my take...know where you can not go with a gun, under RCW, and keep it concealed always...the big sports stadiums in Seattle don't allow any weapon entry even to Washington Peace officers...good first post, thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts