41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought a can of Lysol and a Bic lighter work even better. :image035:
I lit my bedroom curtains on fire trying that as a kid about 50 years ago! :yup:

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I electrocute spiders with my Zap Master. The marketing for it claims it is the original bug zapper racket. Spiders make a really distinctive "pop" when zapped!

bug zapper.jpg

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I didn't read the whole thread, but saw enough to know the efficacy of Wasp Spray as a self defense weapon has already been debunked.

Allow me to tell a story I don't repeat often:

I was living in New Braunfels, TX. It was a windy spring day, and I noticed a large wasp nest hanging from the 2nd story eaves of our house.

Around dusk, I tried to use a ladder to get close, but the tallest ladder I had wasn't close enough because the wind would blow the stream away from the hive.

Next, I climb partly out the only window on that side of the house, which was a small shower window. I manage to get my head and right shoulder out the window, no chance that I would fall out, and I'm maybe 6 feet from the nest. It's still windy, but I figured that stream that would normally shoot 25 feet would have no problem fighting the wind for 6 feet. I carefully line up my shot, press the plunger, and the spray goes forward about two feet before turning 180 degrees and spraying directly into my face and eyes.

The poison control people said to flush my eyes with water for 15 minutes and I'd be fine. The flushing was worse than the wasp spray.

It does work great on spiders though. We had a year when we lived in Arkansas where we had an infestation of these big spiders that would build webs across all the walkways around the house. I took to spraying them with wasp spray and gradually eradicated them. We lived there two more years and they never came back.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My mother in law keeps a can of wasp spray on her back deck, one by her sofa, and one by her bed. Convincing her that is ineffective will be about as easy as herding greased pigs. She doesn’t believe me when I tell her the little lever on her bath tub that switches water to the shower head and back has nothing to do with the drain.....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can't say much about wasp spray but I have pepper sprayed several people and it does not always stop them in their tracks.

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I can't say much about wasp spray but I have pepper sprayed several people and it does not always stop them in their tracks.
That's why I think the earlier point about training is important. When I took training on it, the main thing I took away is to assume it will not stop the attacker, but it may temporarily blind him. So you should always spray for the eyes and immediate move laterally or run in a direction that is not straight in front of him. There is no perfect tactic, but it beats just spraying and standing there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's why I think the earlier point about training is important. When I took training on it, the main thing I took away is to assume it will not stop the attacker, but it may temporarily blind him. So you should always spray for the eyes and immediate move laterally or run in a direction that is not straight in front of him. There is no perfect tactic, but it beats just spraying and standing there.
Yeah i always aimed for the eyes. I couldn't run to far because people I sprayed were in prison. One of them was able to punch me before he was wrestled to the ground.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I have accidentally sprayed myself in the face with wasp spray. The only disabling effect it had was on my wife. She was laughing to hard to walk.

The wasp spray had no produced no pain or discomfort. It would not have stopped me from doing anything.

Works well on wasp.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I have accidentally sprayed myself in the face with wasp spray. The only disabling effect it had was on my wife. She was laughing to hard to walk.

The wasp spray had no produced no pain or discomfort. It would not have stopped me from doing anything.

Works well on wasp.
Lol! It's time for the "accidental" vs. "negligent" discharge debate. :)

Need more training, practice, and diligence with those wasp weapons, sir, but thanks for sharing so that others may not ... cause their wives pain from laughter.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts

Works well on wasp.
I can attest that backsplash from brake cleaner has the same effect on wives, but is more debilitating to the husband.

·
Super Moderator
18,253 Posts
Defensive Carry Forum Statement

It will be noticed that no wasps were actually harmed in the participation in this thread.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The active ingredient in most wasp spray is pyrethrin. It's a plant extract that disrupts insects nervous system but has no effect on humans. Its derived from a popular flower but I can't remember which one.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Beware of the wasp spray because it is caustic and has caused blindness when humans get it in there eyes it can also burn and scar the mouth and throat. Take and read the label then look up the stuff named in the warning label as you could yourself in court.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts