1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Grew up with Copperheads; not nice snakes. They don't rattle or warn you, and on a bed of leaves they are absolutely invisible. God's own blessing I wasn't bitten a few times. My old Redbone hound wouldn't leave 'em alone. He got bit so many times it hardly bothered him.

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
I like to watch the stars in the evenings. Oh hell, watching where i step outside is an understatement .

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Seen more than a few in my time. Biggest copperhead I ever saw was in the Dismal Swamp. That feller has a big a round as my wrist. Well fed.

I enjoy cowboy camping. Had a snake go across the foot of my bag early one morning. Quite a wake up call.

Definitely watch your steps.

·
Super Moderator
16,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Saw an article where a local kid got bit by a Copperhead. Needed 13 anti-venom injections and hospitalization. Total bill: $230,000.
I got bit by a real monster, a whole 10 inches long. By the time I got to the ER my finger had doubled in size and was already turning black. There were several people in the waiting room but the Triage nurse took me immediately to the back. I was lucky I did not need antivenin; the nurse would come in periodically and record how far the swelling had spread and the diameter of my arm. She would then use an instrument similar to the one used for the TB-Tine test to get some blood flow and time how long it took to coagulate. I had swelling from my shoulder down to mid thigh. Funny thing it took me two months to heal but two of our dogs were bit and they healed in four days with no tissue damage.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I think maybe dogs have some resistance to the venom. My Redbone hardly suffered at all when he got bit, and my dad had a Brittany Spaniel that took a heavy bite on the nose - dog looked like a boxer the next day, but, as you noted, was fine 4 days later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts