Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really think about Walmart as an ammo source, although I'm there a couple times a week. I didn't even know they stocked it until a few weeks ago.

Anyway, today I snagged 900 rounds of .45acp Winchester, 230 grain, FMJ at $40 per box of 100. Not cheap, but its cheap for todays prices.

For those of you, like me, who didn't know they carry it - keep an eye out.

Now if they had 9mm and 40 in stock...
saa.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Our local Walmart has been getting wwb .40 165gr for $35 /100. They were out for sometime but past week seems to be getting it in every few days. They have some .45 thats been sitting there some time. No 9mm anywhere. I need to find some 9 as my wife just got a 9 yesterday and we have been looking for weeks with no luck. I went yesterday to 6 different stores since I was in a larger area (Springfield IL) and had no luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here they have had everything trickling in, it just depends on the day. One day they had 38,380,9,40 and 45 all in the cheap 100 round value packs... Some days they have none at all. Just depends

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I talked to the lady that runs the ammo desk at our Wal Mart. She told me that if they get ammo, they get it over night. They open at 7 am and if they have it out that's when they have it.

So, I was in the neighborhood where WM is (about 11 miles from home) at 7 the other day, so I went by. I got there at 7:05 and there were 15-20 people there. The aforementioned lady showed up a minute or two later and said they didn't get anything on the truck. Everybody left empty handed. It was such a sad sight that I almost expected them to play dirge music over the intercom.

Reactions: BugDude

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I talked to the lady that runs the ammo desk at our Wal Mart. She told me that if they get ammo, they get it over night. They open at 7 am and if they have it out that's when they have it.

So, I was in the neighborhood where WM is (about 11 miles from home) at 7 the other day, so I went by. I got there at 7:05 and there were 15-20 people there. The aforementioned lady showed up a minute or two later and said they didn't get anything on the truck. Everybody left empty handed. It was such a sad sight that I almost expected them to play dirge music over the intercom.
This seems like panic buying to me.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
My kid works there and they put it right out as the trucks get unloaded so you never know what time it will get on the shelf.
Buy it gets sold out in a matter of hours except for the 12ga where they got piles of it.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Makes Me Wonder

Why are some of you guys continuing to buy ammo from Walmart? :aargh4: I can understand it might be the only place for ample ammo for some areas. But buying there without checking the moms and pops gun stores first is very counterproductive. Companies like Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain don't care about the 2nd Amendment. They are only there to make money. They will also change their agenda as a result of caving in to the anti-gun movement. It's better to stick to private gun stores that support the 2nd Amendment and will stick to their philosophies/views even when it hits the fan.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Stopped by yesterday, all they had were a few boxes of 20ga and .410...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Why are some of you guys continuing to buy ammo from Walmart? :aargh4: I can understand it might be the only place for ample ammo for some areas. But buying there without checking the moms and pops gun stores first is very counterproductive. Companies like Walmart, Dicks Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain don't care about the 2nd Amendment. They are only there to make money. They will also change their agenda as a result of caving in to the anti-gun movement. It's better to stick to private gun stores that support the 2nd Amendment and will stick to their philosophies/views even when it hits the fan.
Picked up ammo from Dick's at the same price I paid 6 months ago. My local "mom and pop shops" are charging $3-4 more than they were 6 months ago. Ammo is not a political statement for me, it is a way I train to keep up my skills. I will go where it is the cheapest.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our Wally World puts ammo out at 07:00 am which really sucks because unless it shows up on the weekend I don't have a chance. I did luck out on Saturday and get three boxes in morning. They had bricks of 22 LR, a couple of 100 rd boxes of 45, some .40, .223, 9 mm, and 12 ga. It was as stocked as I had seen in a long time. I stopped by later in the afternoon, and it was all gone.

I'm glad I was stockpiling before this crap got out of control.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I only have one LGS within 30 miles of me. They don't have any guns or ammo in stock every time I go there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IF they cave to political pressure I would agree, and quit buying everything in Wal Mart. I have explained this sentiment to the manager of my local store, and I spend hundreds in that store every week between my home and business. So far, they have not quit selling anything at our local stores, when they have it! I buy ammo, holsters, and shooting supplies from our many excellent LGS's but the price difference can be substantial and I will buy it at Walmart when I can. Yesterday, a local LGS associate grabbed me when I walked in and told me they had just gotten in their first shipment of 9mm and .40 in over a month, and did I need some? Great service and LGS friendliness that you will rarely find at the big box stores, who have not had either caliber in stock for 3 months. I am so glad they had some, but I don't need it right now so I left those 30 boxes for someone else who really needs it. Of course it was $35 for a box of Blazer range ammo, which would be $15 at Walmart IF they had it, but the laws of supply and demand were WORKING and enabling there to be some for folks who really need it. I will continue to buy a both as long as they continue to support our 2nd amendment rights.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This seems like panic buying to me.
Well, there's no panic, but you have to buy it when you find it - at least it's that way here. .40 and 9mm are scarce and expensive.

The other issue is how much you shoot. I'm at the range every week with all calibers from 25acp to 45, so I burn 4 or 5 hundred rounds a week. At range prices that can get pricey. I was happy at $40/100.
saa.

·
Registered
773 Posts
the A-holes that work at walmart around me tell their family and friends when the ammo is there and it is completely gone by 8am. there is 2 boxes of 270winchester magnum at my local store and that is it. The entire display is empty and its a pretty large display. the local news actually just did a report on this here.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts