Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
36,132 Posts
I think he should have written it while he was angry. But he's right.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
This isn't news. Perhaps the best that will come out of this is new leadership.

But don't take your eye off the ball. And that ball is the dissolution of a political organization when the alleged bad actors should be punished.

So stand up and back the NRA, don't stand around a whine. You can fix the leadership later.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
He’s right. You can’t have a board with that many people and expect them to be effective. So there is likely no oversight of Wayne’s behavior, and the officers like Charles Cotton and Meadows are aligned with Wayne.

The organization needs to be gutted and rebuilt with a real leadership team and a real functioning board.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Personally I've given up on the NRA. I never trusted the organization enough to become a life member, but still have an active membership from paying up several years worth rather than pay for gun show entry fees. I've voted and sent letters and emails. Neither Wayne nor the Board of Directors care what a mere member has to say. Further, the BoD is collectively complicit in Wayne's World.

Simply replacing leadership is not a viable COA at this point. New leadership would merely replicate Wayne's World and be more skillful at flying under the radar while remaining ineffective at advocating for 2A rights. No thanks.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
One thing I do not agree with in the article is his premise that the NY AG should not seek to dissolve the whole organization, but just punish the offenders. I would agree with that if this was the first shot over the bow, but this has been going on for a couple of years and the NRA leadership has not done the right thing. So the organization is showing itself as being an organization that cannot represent its members properly. Even though the NY AG is doing this for political purposes doesn't mean she is wrong.

There are things that the NRA should have done a long time ago and everyone knew it:
  • Get rid of WLP. No matter what he is, or is not, guilty of, there is reason for the members to no longer have confidence in him. I refuse to believe that the effectiveness of the whole organization rests on him personally. If that were true, why do we need the whole organization? Just hire him as a solo lobbyist. But of course that is not true.
  • Reform the board. As the article says, 76 board members is way out of whack. I think it is a way WLP keeps control. With that many board members, he can keep a broad base of support and no single board member, or small group of board members, can wield significant power against him.
  • "Move" the non-profit registration to another state, like Texas as Trump suggested. The problem for WLP, is it appears NY State law doesn't permit you to just move a non-profit and jus moving does not get you out of NY's clutches. It appears that the NRA would have to create an entirely new non-profit in another state, then merge the NY entity into that new state entity, and they dissolve the old organization. The new entity may or may not have Wayne as the CEO and have 76 board members. It would be started from scratch. And to completely get out of NY's clutches, it would have to stop doing business in NY. So no NY members or programs.
The current NRA seems incapable of doing thosd obvious things. And there are a whole list of other things they would be well advised to be doing differently also.

This suit could be a good thing. It could force WLP out and force the creation of a new NRA organization from scratch. If it does, I will go back to supporting the NRA in word and deed and I think I am not alone.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
For everyone that will reply to this thread with complaints (valid) about the NRA, have you contacted the NRA to voice those complaints, and have you voted? Please do if you have not.

But don't get played by the NY AG.

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Good article, says what the mass of the membership has been saying for years - remove WLP. That's not enough now. Clearly, the membership means nothing to the leadership. They may have been effective years ago; they are not now. The leadership is complicit in all that's going on, even if it's only ineffectual representation. Here's another place we need to drain the swamp.

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
For everyone that will reply to this thread with complaints (valid) about the NRA, have you contacted the NRA to voice those complaints, and have you voted? Please do if you have not.

I used to, but I gave up on it. It does no good. As I said before, just because the AG is politically motivated doesn't mean she's wrong. And there is no chance of getting "played" by the AG. We have no influence on what she does, so whether we believe her or not is irrelevant. I had written the organization off long before she got involved.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I used to, but I gave up on it. It does no good. As I said before, just because the AG is politically motivated doesn't mean she's wrong. And there is no chance of getting "played" by the AG. We have no influence on what she does, so whether we believe her or not is irrelevant. I had written the organization off long before she got involved.
By getting played I mean focusing on the alleged abusers of the NRA instead of the abuse of law by the NY AG. The more NRA members rehash stuff they have been hashing for the past year, the weaker the organization becomes. Mission accomplished.

If people buy into this bullcrap lawsuit, then they should be asking why every other non-profit is not dissolved when there is alleged malfeasance. The lawsuit is a clear abuse of the AG's power, and too few NRA members seem to even notice this.

This is a typical failing of conservatives in general - failing to address abuse of power when the abuse of power is used to address a conservative failing. That is not to say the underlying failing should be addressed, but people also need to stand up to the abuse of power. If they fail to do so, we're sunk.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts

Yes. I’ve complained to the NRA. It does no good. Wayne is protected.

I even seen on another forum run by one of his cronies the censorship of anything even remotely negative about the NRA.

·
Registered
7,644 Posts

Now, I have no quarrel with the New York AG taking Wayne to task for what he’s allegedly done. I have not seen the evidence. I have not seen the receipts. I can’t imagine that a state Attorney General would make claims it could not back up in court (unlike, for example, the Mueller team with General Flynn). Some, or even a large part of the lawsuit may be smoke and mirrors.
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? Remember first and foremost that this is the NEW YAWK AG. Yeah people of the same fundamental understanding of the law that say a judge has authority to be judge, jury, and prosecutor - even if the prosecutor with jurisdiction says he will not prosecute.

I have not renewed my NRA membership, and may not ever. But I will never, never, never like or trust anything coming out of NY again. Period.

That is the legacy of NY. NY voters...it is YOUR legacy.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,376 Posts
The liberals are dissolving the NRA with help from gun owners. Next is the Second Amendment and then the USA.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
All of this came to light nearly 18 months ago. And the only thing the top brass have done is solidify their positions!
While the NY AG is only making things difficult for the NRA for political reasons, it doesn't make her allegations any less true.
18 months ago Wayne was trying to make the NRA build him and his family a 25 million dollar house! So in the time since what has changed?
Other Non Profits have gone through this too. For them to survive they had to purge the guilty management and get back to there core values.
But that won't happen till the guilty are removed. DR

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I want the NRA to survive. I want the NRA to get back on the right path. They can't do it with the current leadership. That leadership needs to take one for the team. Reorganize.
Sometimes I can't tell the difference between the NRA, AARP, Publisher Clearing house and any number of organizations to big for their britches.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
The liberals are dissolving the NRA with help from gun owners. Next is the Second Amendment and then the USA.

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -- Benjamin Franklin
With all due respect, I have limited time and resources. Those aren't going to be used to extend the reign of King Wayne and his court. If the organization, service to gun owners, and the 2A meant more to them than their own pockets they'd have listened to NRA member inputs long ago, and would have resigned their leadership posts by now.

If others wish to continue supporting the NRA, I truly wish you good luck. But what I see is an organization that's doubled down on protecting corrupt and self serving parasites rather than fixing problems. There's no need for my loyalty because the other half abandoned me long ago.

Honestly, I do try to live the Air Force core values (integrity first, service before self, and excellence in we do); associating with and defending an organization that seemingly operates contrary to each of those values would put me in an untenable position with my own ethics.

·
Premium Member
5,278 Posts
I hate to see an organization like the NRA go away. For decades it's been a defender of the 2A, gun safety and great information.

Clearly it needs new leadership and re-organization but that can be done without dissolving it.

If the Liberals win this one, they will be even bolder going after gun ownership. We can't let that happen.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
The NRA is far from perfect, but as of this minute, it's still our best organization to fight the Libs for our 2nd Amendment rights. Hopefully the NRA does some house cleaning, but I will still support them. As a native New Yorker and retired LEO from NYC, I learned a long time ago that Letitia James is a political hack that lies every time her lips move. She is definitely not a friend of Law Enforcement or the 2nd Amendment and her thoughts and actions are directed by Gov Cuomo.---Sturgis

·
Premium Member
34,141 Posts
The end of the NRA as a political entity and the abolition of Second Amendment rights is the agenda here, not making crooked things straight in Fairfax. Rag on Wayne all you like, enjoy the schadenfruede as it comes, but understand that if the NRA goes, so do most of the concealed carry certification instructors in the entire country.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts