·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Good info in there.

Wonder if burglars look in the cat litter boxes?

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Have all of those covered. Hopefully will not have any problems.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Someone's home 99% of the time here due to unemployment. For the few hunting guns I have and maybe some tools, its not worth a burglar(s) losing their life. We bother no one and expect the same in return. Don't mess with country folks...

·
Registered
6,444 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
These two stuck out at me:

“Dogs are a deal breaker for me,” said one inmate. “Big breeds, home protectors are the best to keep people out.”

7. Did you typically knock on the front door before breaking into a home?

Yes. All of the inmates who responded said they would knock on the front door before breaking in.

Knocking on my door is a 1000% guaranteed method of getting Hadley to use her big girl voice and bark and growl the living crap right out of anyone who comes to the door.. heck, if she hears so much as a car door close, she's on it.

I usually have to go out and meet people on the porch instead... that poor Schwan's guy...

Good to know what the actual burglers say. I won't be leaving plasma tv turned on though. We do open the blinds, not leave porch lights on (why would they be on if you were home, ya know?), and we keep bushes and trees trimmed and the side of the house visible.

Oh, and don't forget to actually lock your doors and windows! You'd be surprised how often someone opened a window a couple days or weeks ago when it was nice out, closed it, but forgot to lock it! I also lock my aluminum storm doors. They will NEVER be secure, since they can be ripped right off the house and those flipper latches are cheap, BUT, if it's locked, they can pull it open and force their way in, but it will make HUGE AMOUNTS OF NOISE that no sleeping person or dog is going to miss.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
i remember reading an article about home invasions in the UK. a much higher percentage occur while the residents are at home. they are not afraid to face the homeowners over there. our buglers have phobophobia (fear of lead).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Thanks for posting, Stirling XD.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Some of these guys could try to steer you wrong. Like the one who claims that the blinds closed and the lights on is a target. I keep the blinds closed and the lights on and he can guess where I'm at when he comes in. Anybody who turns the lights on and leaves the blinds open is just telling somebody where they are in the house and what they are doing. The guy who walked into our house didn't bother to knock he just walked down the street until he saw my wife get into our car and drive away. I heard him walk through the hallway and went to ask my wife what she forgot. I had a good sized wrench in my hand because I was working on something and he looked down at that wrench and said "I think I made a mistake, I thought I heard somebody say come in." I said YEAH! You made a mistake and he left in a hurry. My wife was just gone for a few minutes to pick up the kids and we still wonder what would have happened if I hadn't been home when he walked in. We figure he would have been in the house when she got back and that is scary.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Some of these guys could try to steer you wrong. Like the one who claims that the blinds closed and the lights on is a target. I keep the blinds closed and the lights on and he can guess where I'm at when he comes in. Anybody who turns the lights on and leaves the blinds open is just telling somebody where they are in the house and what they are doing. The guy who walked into our house didn't bother to knock he just walked down the street until he saw my wife get into our car and drive away. I heard him walk through the hallway and went to ask my wife what she forgot. I had a good sized wrench in my hand because I was working on something and he looked down at that wrench and said "I think I made a mistake, I thought I heard somebody say come in." I said YEAH! You made a mistake and he left in a hurry. My wife was just gone for a few minutes to pick up the kids and we still wonder what would have happened if I hadn't been home when he walked in. We figure he would have been in the house when she got back and that is scary.
Smart dude. He probably thought you might use that wrench to lay down a Vulcan Death Grip upon one of his bony joints.

You got all you need, GpTom, except a tutor, and who doesn't need a tutor when it comes to self defense?

Caine_and_Master_Po.jpg

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Most folks refuse to remember burglars prefer daytime break-ins, when the residents are at work, school, etc.
I remember many cases where burglaries occurred while the residents were in the backyard while the front door was unlocked.
The alarm company signs are a great deterrent as are most dogs.
A radio during the day and a TV playing at night (with good exterior lighting) are excellent deal breakers.

One good thing to remember is how Bold some of these perps can be... most are under the influence of alcohol &/or drugs with many looking to show off to their cohorts (waiting in a vehicle) how brave they are.
There is no time of day where one can really let their guard down. Most criminals do not get up early, but some don't go to bed until noon.
One trait they seen to share is laziness, so make em work at your house and it won't take much to get then to move on to an easier target.

[I do not understand the statement about closed blinds/curtains, either]

·
Registered
419 Posts
Even when we are home, our front and back doors are locked... front door isn't a main door for us, so it's locked on the knob and deadbolted, but the back door, at least has one of the two locks engaged. The FIL sometimes comes over, and he'll just open the door and come in, well, tries to. He usually just walks into the door head first now, being that it's LOCKED. Despite us being home.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
i remember reading an article about home invasions in the UK. a much higher percentage occur while the residents are at home. they are not afraid to face the homeowners over there. our buglers have phobophobia (fear of lead).
That is because unlike our US (which has stand your ground laws and the right of self-defense), Britain does not enjoy either one. British homeowners have a duty to retreat, may only use self-defense as a last resort, and even then may be arrested for assault and have to justify their self-defense in a court. Sad, very sad. Anyone who does not like living here need only go to live anywhere else in the world for a period of time to note the differences.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
These two stuck out at me:

“Dogs are a deal breaker for me,” said one inmate. “Big breeds, home protectors are the best to keep people out.”

7. Did you typically knock on the front door before breaking into a home?

Yes. All of the inmates who responded said they would knock on the front door before breaking in.

Knocking on my door is a 1000% guaranteed method of getting Hadley to use her big girl voice and bark and growl the living crap right out of anyone who comes to the door.. heck, if she hears so much as a car door close, she's on it.

I usually have to go out and meet people on the porch instead... that poor Schwan's guy...

Good to know what the actual burglers say. I won't be leaving plasma tv turned on though. We do open the blinds, not leave porch lights on (why would they be on if you were home, ya know?), and we keep bushes and trees trimmed and the side of the house visible.

Oh, and don't forget to actually lock your doors and windows! You'd be surprised how often someone opened a window a couple days or weeks ago when it was nice out, closed it, but forgot to lock it! I also lock my aluminum storm doors. They will NEVER be secure, since they can be ripped right off the house and those flipper latches are cheap, BUT, if it's locked, they can pull it open and force their way in, but it will make HUGE AMOUNTS OF NOISE that no sleeping person or dog is going to miss.
It is truly amazing how many people don't lock up!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Years ago I was at a lecture with John Lott and he brought this up. The reasons are just what you suspect. In the UK the bad guy has no real sense of fear of getting hurt breaking into even an occupied home, In fact, if he is injured by the home owner, he has a better that even chance of successfully suing the homeowner. In the US, the bad guy usually wants to make very sure the home is not occupied due to the real danger of lead poisoning. That said, however, I have recently heard a statistic that claims now one third of home invasions are in occupied homes. Don't know if that is true, but that surprises me. Maybe US bad guys are getting bolder.

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
194 Posts
I follow most of those suggestions except the "car in the driveway" one. My reasons are simple. The only thefts in my sub-division in the five years I've lived here have been from vehicles, and my home came with a very nice garage. Those thefts have always been at night. They almost always come in groups, with anywhere from ten to thirty cars hit in a single night, and most often between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Some were broken into, some were easier targets. One irresponsible idiot complained to me after last fall's hit, that it was "the third damn time" someone stole a handgun from his (never locked) truck.

Years ago I was at a lecture with John Lott and he brought this up. The reasons are just what you suspect. In the UK the bad guy has no real sense of fear of getting hurt breaking into even an occupied home, In fact, if he is injured by the home owner, he has a better that even chance of successfully suing the homeowner. In the US, the bad guy usually wants to make very sure the home is not occupied due to the real danger of lead poisoning. That said, however, I have recently heard a statistic that claims now one third of home invasions are in occupied homes. Don't know if that is true, but that surprises me. Maybe US bad guys are getting bolder.
Or, perhaps, a somewhere close to 1/3 of the US homes that get invaded belong to folks in the drug business.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Umm, 100% of home invasions are in occupied homes. Otherwise, it's just a burglary.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I was amazed to hear the comments about the NRA bumper sticker equating to lots of guns to steal. I would have assumed the bad guys would view the NRA bumper sticker as a deterrent, because the sticker means the owner definitely has guns and burglar would be in danger of getting shot. Fascinating..............

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
I was amazed to hear the comments about the NRA bumper sticker equating to lots of guns to steal. I would have assumed the bad guys would view the NRA bumper sticker as a deterrent, because the sticker means the owner definitely has guns and burglar would be in danger of getting shot. Fascinating..............
If I saw an NRA sticker and took that as a sign that there were guns, and I wanted guns, I would just wait until they are not home.

The thing about knocking on the door caught my attention. When my door bell rings, I usually look to see who it is, but dont usually answer because its usually just someone wanting to sell something, or convert me to their religion. It sure would be interesting for someone to knock on the door, think im not home, then walk around back, and make some noise opening the gate, and then get greeted with the business end of a firearm.

Reactions: xXxHeavy
1 - 20 of 35 Posts