Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a demonstration today in our small city to protest the death of George Floyd. Both our city police chief and county Sheriff were there. There was no violence, no police cars were burned, and the entire event was peaceful. I did not learn about it until this evening.

That's the way it should be.

101335772_10220230549052190_8319404776802484224_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
We had something similar here at our local mall. The mayor of the town joined the peaceful protest for awhile.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
We have had....nothing. We were in town today,ate lunch at the Mexican cafe and went grocery shopping. People were at church, at the baseball tournament at the park, swimming at the river, a few yard sales going on...nothing in the news and no gossip about this stuff at all.

Glad at least yours were actually protests and not street thugs unleashed.

·
Premium Member
33,804 Posts
Here is a shot from the demonstration at Marion Ohio City Hall yesterday. Peaceful, orderly and well-organized. I'm friends with one of the organizers. I would have attended had we not been in Indiana celebrating my nephew's graduation and departure for the Marines.

marion protest.jpg

·
Registered
Various
15,567 Posts
We had a demonstration last night with some rioting and damage downtown with around 100 people participating. The mayor has declared a state of emergency with a curfew from 8:00 pm until 6:00 am. We are several miles from the center of town.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I cannot say the same thing about Houston. For two nights in a row, there has been a lot of property destruction and looting. Today, my wife and I had to drive through downtown on an errand. The Police were already staging in various parts of downtown for the what has been reported in the media and another inevitable night of property destruction and looting in the name of protesting. I have never understood the rationale that protesting devolves into property destruction and looting.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
They closed a lot of businesses around here because of demonstrations. I don't think there was a lot of violence or looting but we will find out more about that in the next few days. My neighbor was worried about his family members that were in town when this all started today. He told me that his daughter was in WalMart when the police had it evacuated and closed down due to demonstrators. So she had to go to Meijer's to get the baby's medicine.
He lives on the highway and I live a block off of it. He told me that he would feel better if he had a box of 9mm ammunition in case it comes to protecting his home and family. So I loaned him some ammo. My guns are set up with enough ammo. that I wouldn't have to reload for a while in a gun fight.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
We had one today that turned violent. Not sure who was in the wrong as there are mixed reports (naah, that never happens). Only thing for certain is that there were protestors at the mall. Driver maced several protestors. Protestors attacked said driver and vehicle. Some witnesses said it was peaceful, but others said the protestors were hitting vehicles and blocking traffic at times. Therefore can't comment on the event other than to say tensions were high. May have to up my number of carry mags. Glad your protest didn't cross the line to riots. That's the way it should be.

I just read a report that the officer was taken into custody on 3rd degree manslaughter. That seems a bit light if what I see is an honest report of the encounter. If George resisted violently, that might be apporpriate. If not, I would think 2nd degree would be more appropriate. It's hard to really make any kind of fair judgment call based on MSM reports. Like the newscastor reporting while in a canoe, but two people walked by in the just over the ankle deep water.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I cannot say the same thing about Houston. For two nights in a row, there has been a lot of property destruction and looting. Today, my wife and I had to drive through downtown on an errand. The Police were already staging in various parts of downtown for the what has been reported in the media and another inevitable night of property destruction and looting in the name of protesting. I have never understood the rationale that protesting devolves into property destruction and looting.
One word: entitlement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well, I had an interesting experience with some protest/demonstrations today. I honestly do not understand the protests in cities that are not Minneapolis, but I support the right to protest, assemble, and express grievances with the government (even if they're addressing the wrong entity). So I had to drive some distance today to meet up with my daughter. On the way home, I was driving through a small town on a state highway when I saw the first one .. maybe 15-20 people with hand-drawn signs. But they were staying on the sidewalk. Perfect example of peaceful protest.

Then I got to the town I live in, and was driving on the main street in town. There's some construction going on, so what is normally two lanes in each direction is down to one lane in each direction, and right about at that choke point, there were a number of people walking along, accompanied by very slowly moving cars--the whole group headed in the opposite direction from me, so they didn't impede my travel (but they were impeding the oncoming traffic).

What I found curious was that the signs in the two locations were *identical* Same colors of poster board for the different slogans. Same colors of markers for the slogans. Same way of writing the words. :confused:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Yesterday there was a walk here in Rapid City, with George Floyd's uncle participating.

Just a nice peaceful walk.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The protest/demonstration here started with a peaceful. There weren’t any incidents until some people who were not part of the original group started vandalizing businesses which then led to riots in several different areas of the city and even spreading into some residential neighborhoods. They called in police from a neighboring city to assist.

Fortunately for me, it seems to have stalled before reaching my area.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fort Wayne, Indiana had protests turn violent after one man pushed another through a window and after that it got nasty. The police intervened quickly with rubber bullets and tear gas and it broke up rather quickly after that. Haven't checked the local news since Saturday afternoon but definitely need to watch out for this in the future

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
My super liberal relative posted this on FB. I actually believe she thinks violent protest is OK right now, which it is not!

But look at the image and think about it. Whenever there have been peaceful protests, lots of folks complain about that and say it is not right either. (venue, on the job, whatever).

Kap, regardless of the venue, was doing a peaceful protest which was met by resistance. Whenever a person of "fame" speaks out people diminish them as being entitled.

Just think about it.

protest.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts