1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The article implies that the "study" defined it as locked and unloaded.

nearly three-quarters of King County’s homicide victims last year – totaling 74 – died as a result of gun violence
That's a sunny summer weekend in Chicago, with some of the nations strictest gun control laws...

·
Super Moderator
19,238 Posts
A couple of comments.

First, anyone in the psych business knows as unshakeable fact that someone determined to kill themself will find a way to do it, no matter what the laws are. Japan is frequently thrown in our faces as an example of a nation with a low "gun violence" incidence. But Japan also has a suicide rate many times higher than the US in spite of being a nearly gun-free society.

Second, I will not accept as Gospel truth the notion of some elected official or worse, an unelected bureaucrat (e.g., police commissioner), as to what constitutes "safe" firearm storage in MY home. There is no one-size-fits-all "solution" for safe gun storage, and what may be a great idea for someone in a high-rise apartment in Seattle may be a lethal solution for someone in a rural area not served by 911 service and where police response is measured in quarters of an hour, not minutes.

Lastly, what this "study" lacks is intellectual honesty in contrasting the alleged "ills" of allegedly unsecured firearms with any benefits therefrom. Imagine a "study" which purported to show that automobile use was a danger to society - do you think the authors might just be taken to task for not considering the societal benefits of the mobility afforded by personally-owned automobiles? In other words, people need to look at what's not being presented to balance the argument, and not draw conclusions solely on what is presented.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts

That's a sunny summer weekend in Chicago, with some of the nations strictest gun control laws...
That doesn’t sound very safe to me.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
I guess one would have to determine whose side the "safe" issue is protecting. If I weld up the chamber of all my weapons, they will indeed be very safe for any child who happens to mess with them, or any thief who might happen to steal them. Of course, it wouldn't be too safe for me when I pull my welded-up empty gun on a home invader. Bureaucrats of every flavor love to pigeon-hole everything into some neat definition, but the facts of life make that impossible. They keep trying, though - they are bureaucrats.

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
@gasmitty said it very well, particularly the part about the article lacking intellectual honesty! However, almost all studies and surveys seem to lack intellectual honesty anymore, not just the ones about guns. IMHO

We just participated in an extensive strategic planning survey for our community and those questions were SO rigged it was unreal, even to the point of listing the fitness center which is owned and operated by a local hospital as one of OUR AMENITIES. The fact that the building is located within our community area does not make it one of our amenities (all of which we members subsidize) any more than the ophthalmologist building, the churches or the many banks also located within our community!

At least in that survey there was a place provided for "further comments". I gave them hell. They will most probably ignore me.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I’d like to see them define safely before making statements about percentages of gun owners who keep firearms safely in Home.
I read the same article and was wondering the same thing.

Yep, that was my thought as well. Although, I would still like to see the actual questions. I have seen where some "experts" advise locking up guns in a safe/cabinet with a trigger lock and/or securing the ammo separately. Both of those are unreasonable in my opinion.

Long ago, before I had a safe my long guns were under a bed, but the ammo was locked up. To me, that is safe. They are no more dangerous than a baseball bat without any ammunition. Today, the majority of my firearms are locked up unloaded, but the ammo isn't locked up at all. But, I do use a secure, quick access device for a self-defense pistol.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
@gasmitty said it very well, particularly the part about the article lacking intellectual honesty! However, almost all studies and surveys seem to lack intellectual honesty anymore, not just the ones about guns. IMHO

We just participated in an extensive strategic planning survey for our community and those questions were SO rigged it was unreal, even to the point of listing the fitness center which is owned and operated by a local hospital as one of OUR AMENITIES. The fact that the building is located within our community area does not make it one of our amenities (all of which we members subsidize) any more than the ophthalmologist building, the churches or the many banks also located within our community!

At least in that survey there was a place provided for "further comments". I gave them hell. They will most probably ignore me.
DISCLAIMER:

My "LIKE" covers everything except that last sentence, Granny.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
Every home is different. Only my wife and I are regularly in our home and we both have CC permits and know how to safely handle guns. Also, neither of us are the least bit suicidal. If there is a workman in our home, he doesn't leave my sight. We never have kids in our house. So our safe storage requirements are different than someone who has kids or anyone with suicidal tendencies. One size does not fit all.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Single person dwelling. I do have two dogs, but they obey the rules about SAFE FIREARMS STORAGE. The only guns laying around are my daily carry, & my PDW. Except PDW, everything else goes in the bunker. Have been pricing a smaller safe to keep PDW in when I run errands. As to suicide, no thank you.

Reactions: Libertywheel

·
Premium Member
7,145 Posts
So if we lock up sugar, it's going to stop obesity?
EXACTLY! Tens of thousands of people eat themselves to death, and not just from sugar intake. Not so many shoot themselves to death though.

One of the nicest guys in our pistol competition group ate himself to death just about a year ago. He ate himself into type 2 diabetes and refused to change his diet, and then ate himself into all the complications and died. Several others are not far behind him.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
In other words, people need to look at what's not being presented to balance the argument, and not draw conclusions solely on what is presented.
That's the very crux of what is wrong with this country. People blindly accept the perception and can't or refuse to see the reality. How can you consider yourself intelligent and accept a statement like handguns fuel suicides? Get rid of guns, get rid of suicides?
That's flat out inability to think. Why ban guns, maybe to reduce murders? Really? Here's some facts by the FBI study of crime for the year 2011. Pick any year, the numbers change up or down but the ratio stays the same.
Total Deaths by Firearms:8,583, Death by Handguns:6220, Death by Rifles, this is by all rifles combined of which "assault" rifles are a very minute percentage,:323, Death by Knives and cutting Instruments:1695, Death by Blunt Instruments, mostly clubs and hammers:496, Death by Hands,Fists: 728. The other deaths by fire arms are by shotguns, black powder guns etc.
So, here is some reality, death by automobiles, mostly by sober negligent drivers is somewhere around 35- 37,000, add another 10,000 for drunk drivers. More than twice as many murdered by being beaten to death by hands and feet than by all rifles combined. 30 to 35% more people murdered by hammers, clubs than by the same, etc, etc. The facts are all there to be seen. If you absolutely refuse to look at real facts, real truth, and rely on university studies and the media's spin on violent death then we're at a complete impasse, and an unfixable country. As things go on as they are, and its getting more out of hand by the week, all I can see is a complete separation into two countries in the not too distant future.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts