Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for one of my final term papers I'm discussing the issue of homeless veterans (although this can basically be applied to every aspect of American life) and I have discovered (by discovered I mean I had no idea until looking this stuff up) that our government literally gives billions to other countries (almost every country) every year. Yet we have homeless veterans, homeless in general, people that can't afford medical treatments to save their lives, and countless other issues that could disappear if we just kept this money we give away regularly for one year.

Making Sense Of U.S. Foreign Aid To Egypt And Elsewhere - Forbes
ForeignAssistance.gov

Isn't this awful?

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
They have lost their value to the government and it is high time we remind the government who is really in charge and who is really important!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yes and I have been yelling about this for years get out of the U.N. quit giving money to nations that hate us. A wise old indian once said " I will not eat untill my people are fed " . I left the service in the 60s lost some good friends but now in these modern times vets can wait almost a year B4 have there case looked at but no time is wasted sending money to a forien country, side note look at the bang up job cleaning up after Sandy hit the east coast and the people still doing without.

·
Registered
36,813 Posts
The outflow of cash that could have been better served stateside has always been a problem. It took a term paper to make you realize that? And there are those who say education is a waste.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The outflow of cash that could have been better served stateside has always been a problem. It took a term paper to make you realize that? And there are those who say education is a waste.
Yes I will sadly admit that I have not been as up to date or involved as I should have been in my prior years. Better late then never.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
So for one of my final term papers I'm discussing the issue of homeless veterans (although this can basically be applied to every aspect of American life) and I have discovered (by discovered I mean I had no idea until looking this stuff up) that our government literally gives billions to other countries (almost every country) every year. Yet we have homeless veterans, homeless in general, people that can't afford medical treatments to save their lives, and countless other issues that could disappear if we just kept this money we give away regularly for one year.

ForeignAssistance.gov

Isn't this awful?
It is.
It is just about always blamed on our fiscal position, "the government" don't have enough money.
First we could easily do away with about 80% of our foreign aid which would relieve most of that issue.
Then we can increase the available training and re-educating ex-military. I know the GI bill helped me a lot back in the early 1970's.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
It is.
It is just about always blamed on our fiscal position, "the government" don't have enough money.
First we could easily do away with about 80% of our foreign aid which would relieve most of that issue.
Then we can increase the available training and re-educating ex-military. I know the GI bill helped me a lot back in the early 1970's.
Most folks that have gotten out after 9/11 are leigible for the post 9/11 GI bill. 36 months of BAH pay (set for E5 in the zip code your school is) a stipend for books, free tuition. If you go to some Universities that consider full time 1 class a week for 5 weeks (class is 4 hours long), that is roughly 1250 dollars a month plus 125 for that 5 week period for a Tampa resident. That comes to over 60 dollars an hour for going to school.

My neighbor here in TX (retired E7 Air Force) complians that is not good enough so he does not partake in it. He says when they pay him BAH for his reitred rank he might look into it. Just can't make some folks happy.

I go to college full time and use the money to further my wifes education.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What will really piss you off is we give china millions a year to for their EPA best part is we borrow money from them to give back to them plus pay interest.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
No more money to any country that hates us and wants to kill us. Let em hate us for free.

Reactions: ctr and msgt/ret

·
Banned
12,069 Posts
What will really piss you off is we give china millions a year to for their EPA best part is we borrow money from them to give back to them plus pay interest.
Deleted China.

·
Premium Member
4,740 Posts
The whole point of the article is to *NOT* single out foreign aid if you want to reduce the deficit:

Total U.S. foreign aid in 2010 was about 1.7% of the U.S. budget. By any measure, the $1.5 requested for Egypt this year–down from $1.8 billion in 2006–is a lot of money. But put it in perspective. As part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program in 2008, Uncle Sam invested $100 billion in Bank of America, Citigroup, JPMorgan Chase and Wells Fargo collectively in order to prop up the financial sector. Earlier this week, Chevron reported earnings of $5.3 billion the last quarter of 2010 alone.

Does that mean budget hawks shouldn’t scrutinize the $1.5 billion that goes to Egypt, or any foreign assistance for that matter? Of course not. But for those serious about reducing the deficit, foreign aid is hardly the place to start. Instead, try entitlements. Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid make up almost half of federal spending each year.

The best way to get help for homeless vets is to make the issue a big one on Congress's radar. They could solve the problem in an instant if they saw that people cared about it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
There was an old saying that went "Charity begins at home". Too bad Washington doesn't believe that veterans are more entitled than foreign countries. Truth be told many of those foreign countries wouldn't be where they are now without our veterans.

·
Premium Member
7,768 Posts

ForeignAssistance.gov

Isn't this awful?
I'll go out on a limb and say it is not awful. Could the "foreign aid" be administered more efficiently? Yes. But is foreign aid awful in light of the domestic issues facing us? No.

We must engage other countries to further our national interests. Foreign aid is but one facet of such engagement.

As the article points out, it's a relative small portion of our budget. We could also cut costs on non-discretionary domestic (and discretionary domestic) spending, but neither party has the politic will to do so. That's what is truly awful.

The fact that money spent on foreign aid could address many problems our veterans and homeless face strikes and emotional chord. But it's just just that - emotional. And deciding policy on emotion usually leads to less than stellar results.

I understand the feelings, and I share them, but I cannot advocate a policy change based on such feelings alone.

·
Registered
988 Posts
If life is ever discovered on another planet, our government will send them money :image035:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Outflow of that cash but we stop Air Force flights, Navy ships going to sea and even White House Tours before we stop foreign aid. I think this administration has the priorities wrong.

PS....I read an editorial from a Naval son dad who said his son was stationed on a ship and he "went to sea for 3 weeks". They never left the dock, pulled up the gangway and "pretended" they were at sea. What a way to run a Navy!!!

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Government only wants to get bigger. Keeping money at home and actually solving problems is counter to that primary objective.

·
Registered
933 Posts
As a disabled veteran, I find many of the things that America has allowed to happen to men and women who served very shameful. I'm blessed that I have a higher power watching over me!

Thanks for raising this issue. I'd enjoy readying your final paper.

Reactions: BugDude
1 - 18 of 18 Posts