Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Wal-Mart last night and noticed a new addition in the gun cabinet. Right behind the 10/22 (blue barrel/wood stock) that's always on display, there was another one. This one had a stainless barrel and a black synthetic stock. The price tag hanging off of the carbine listed, $254.00.

I don't know why but this tempted me. I have a 10/22 that looks like a new one. It has never given me an ounce of trouble and yet, whenever I see another 10/22 on display, I'm almost always tempted to get another one. Now mind you, I don't need another one - I do well to shoot the one I have. I'm completely satisfied with the one I have so there's no discontent. I just think the 10/22 is one of the best bang-for-your-bucks out there. It almost feels wrong to go on and not pick one up when they are at such a good price. I keep thinking, its always good to have a back-up and there will be a day when you won't be able to get them for this price anymore. And do you know what's even more crazy? If I'm not mistaken, my mom picked up the one I have today for about $160 (back in the 90s)? So even though 10/22s seem to be relatively inexpensive, they used to be even cheaper! I'm sure you guys have one that's older than mine and paid even less for it. If so, please feel free to share your story, I'd love to hear about it.

I really don't have anymore to add. I just wanted to share my experience and perhaps you have similar feelings/thoughts about it as well. One of these days, I'll take a pic of mine and post it here. If there's not already a 10/22 pic thread, maybe I'll be the one to start one, who knows?

Thanks for listening and I'd be interested to hear your comments.

Thanks,
DCG

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...I've always wanted an International model in stainless...and I'd love a takedown in stainless...but I miss the old models with metal trigger guards, iron sights...they keep on "improving" an already perfect design...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks, I took a regular old wood stock, striped it, chopped it to her desired length of pull, painted it, stenciled it (still not sure why she chose Abby), added layers of super hard clear urethane, took the synthetic stock off the new one, added the shoulder saver, added the red/green dot sight, got her 5 25 round mags. All to get her to go shooting more often with me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
it is an NCstar (el cheapo) its not too bad the real problem it that it about 1 inch between the ironsights and the "dot" so the further out you go the more off it gets, I have it zeroed in at about 50 feet (length of our usual range).

·
Registered
330 Posts
no problem. it is similar to that just a dot nothing fancy. think i paid $20 for it

·
Super Moderator
19,908 Posts
Weakness for 10/22s? I guess that what you'd call it... I have 5 of 'em.

#1 got a Hogue stock, a 20" GM bull barrel and a trigger job, and a modest scope. Shooting 4 positions at an Appleseed event, I tired of its front-heaviness and decided to 'build' another.

#2 began as just a new receiver (plastic trigger housing, actually an improvement over the metal ones). This one got an 18" fluted bull barrel, a trigger job, a take-off Sporter stock (decent checkering), a full action bedding, Tac-Sol mag release and a really crisp Bushnell scope. This one's a tack driver. 3/8" groups at 50 yards with nothing-special ammo.

#3 came about because I liked the Garand-style Tech sights for Appleseed use. The gun is stock except for the Tech sights, trigger job, improved mag release and a sling.

#4 - well, this one's more involved. I started shooting a "tactical" .22 match at my club and wanted to dedicate a 10/22 for that purpose. So I won a used one on GunBroker, turns out the seller was a local pawn shop. When we did the paperwork, the clerk said, "gee - that's a low serial number." Sure was - from the first year of production. It has a real walnut Overton stock, and no ugly roll-marked lawyerese on the barrel. So I cleaned it up, refinished the stock, and gave it some modest trigger work. It's a good shooter, but I'll just hang onto it for historical purposes.

#5 is what #4 was supposed to be. Another GunBroker 'find', this was a Sporter model that had been rode hard and put up wet. But for the tac game, reliability and speed trump accuracy so this one has the stock barrel, but a lot of action and trigger work. I've experimented with scopes and a red dot, and so far the scopes are winning. The red dot is great for the close, speed stages, but there's always a stage with 100-yard shots and 4-inch targets at 50 yards and the RDS just won't cut it for those.

Heaven only knows what #6 will be...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only one cure - (sorry, computer hates me, cannot upload 1.01m jpg from file or 375 from url). you will have to do look

10/22 Gatling Gun Kit - 862723, Replacement Parts at Sportsman's Guide

YES. A crank gatling using twin 10/22 for the inards . 200 rounds per minute actual with twin 50 round drums. Who needs a bulls eye, just chew up the whole target. And they sell the kit for around $400, 10/22's not included.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,311 Posts
I was never taken with the 10/22, having quickly traded the onces I have owned. I am one of the weird people who prefer a tube fed gun, and have found that both my Henry 01 and Nylon 66 not only have better triggers out of the box, but possess more accuracy with more varying assortments of ammo as well.

Reactions: Stevew

·
Registered
668 Posts
I own 4 10/22's. love them. We shoot a lot of ground squirrels and have a lot of fun doing it ( good point of my job). I have with a Houge stock, Volquartson barrel and triggers. One rides in my pick up the other in my son's truck. Had to replace the barrel on mine this year after 30,000 or so rounds( lost the exact count along the way). Have a soft spot for 10/22's. like Timex said " they take a licken and keep on shooten". Well, something like that. Got another stock one except for the trigger and the AR styled one because, well just because.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Only one cure - (sorry, computer hates me, cannot upload 1.01m jpg from file or 375 from url). you will have to do look

10/22 Gatling Gun Kit - 862723, Replacement Parts at Sportsman's Guide

YES. A crank gatling using twin 10/22 for the inards . 200 rounds per minute actual with twin 50 round drums. Who needs a bulls eye, just chew up the whole target. And they sell the kit for around $400, 10/22's not included.
That would be fun if 22 ammo price were not up.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Weakness for 10/22s? I guess that what you'd call it... I have 5 of 'em.

#1 got a Hogue stock, a 20" GM bull barrel and a trigger job, and a modest scope. Shooting 4 positions at an Appleseed event, I tired of its front-heaviness and decided to 'build' another.

#2 began as just a new receiver (plastic trigger housing, actually an improvement over the metal ones). This one got an 18" fluted bull barrel, a trigger job, a take-off Sporter stock (decent checkering), a full action bedding, Tac-Sol mag release and a really crisp Bushnell scope. This one's a tack driver. 3/8" groups at 50 yards with nothing-special ammo.

#3 came about because I liked the Garand-style Tech sights for Appleseed use. The gun is stock except for the Tech sights, trigger job, improved mag release and a sling.

#4 - well, this one's more involved. I started shooting a "tactical" .22 match at my club and wanted to dedicate a 10/22 for that purpose. So I won a used one on GunBroker, turns out the seller was a local pawn shop. When we did the paperwork, the clerk said, "gee - that's a low serial number." Sure was - from the first year of production. It has a real walnut Overton stock, and no ugly roll-marked lawyerese on the barrel. So I cleaned it up, refinished the stock, and gave it some modest trigger work. It's a good shooter, but I'll just hang onto it for historical purposes.

#5 is what #4 was supposed to be. Another GunBroker 'find', this was a Sporter model that had been rode hard and put up wet. But for the tac game, reliability and speed trump accuracy so this one has the stock barrel, but a lot of action and trigger work. I've experimented with scopes and a red dot, and so far the scopes are winning. The red dot is great for the close, speed stages, but there's always a stage with 100-yard shots and 4-inch targets at 50 yards and the RDS just won't cut it for those.

Heaven only knows what #6 will be...
Well, maybe you could help me in my decision making process Gasmitty?

Just returned from Walmart and they have a bunch of AR-15's and Ruger 10/22's in the display case, and no ammo of course. But anyway...

I have a nice Browning T-Bolt .22 that is fine but... I'm wanting to shoot my first Appleseed this fall when the weather cools down a bit. Also going to start shooting bench rest .22 competition at the club again one day and not going to spend $1,000.00 plus for a bull barrel competition .22 and 16-32 power scope. Anyway, to my point.

I'd really like to have a Ruger stainless barrel .22 with composite stock and/or a .22 conversion kit for my AR-15. The price is almost the same for either. Really don't want to spend the money for both.

In your opinion, which way do you think would be most beneficial for me? My understanding the AR-15 with .22 conversion kit would be fine for practice and plinking but, not near as accurate as a dedicated .22 rifle, correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
I've had (2) 10/22's over the years. Neither were particularly accurate out of the box. Then I bought a Henry! Anyone who doesn't have a Henry in their collection should! They are truly a joy to shoot and 100% American made and owned!

·
Registered
892 Posts
While I like 10/22's and the seemingly endless array of aftermarket parts you can upgrade them with I don't have a very large gun budget. So, I went with a Marlin Model 60. Love it! Certainly wouldn't mind getting a 10/22 someday though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got my first one when I was 13 for Christmas from my parents. They gave $79.00 for it new and it had a walnut stock .
Forward to today and I have one that I built out of one of the bull barrel Rugers that I put a 16" Clark barrel on, glass bedded the action and a Volquartson trigger group, and a Nikon 22 rimfire scope. This is my goto hunting gun for small game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Yes, I succumbed to the 10/22 siren call. Here's what I got:

Stock mag, extra Ruger 25-round mags, and the nylon bolt buffer mod. Next up is a trigger modification. This is, if you need a starter rifle, a very easy entry point.

Sure, .22 is a weak round. Nobody would ever argue otherwise. If you want to drop something, 30.06 or such is a better choice. Don't go .22 for HD - that's a bad idea. The .22 is for squirrels and opossum.

Still, if you want, the 10/22 lets you slam 25 rounds of .22 fast as you can pull the trigger. Accurately.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts