Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Went to Ikea today with the wife.

As we were walking into the store, there was a Black and White sign that had a a picture of a pistol with the words Weapon-Free-Zone above the pistol.

There was no other wording, no red line or any type of line going through the pistol. There was nothing showing an Arizona Legal Statute.

I went back and stowed my gun in the car. Was this a legal sign for me not to carry ? It did not say now guns allowed, just a weapon free zone ?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Probably not legal, but Ikea is known to be very anti... considering it's european ownership it's not surprising...
They won't get any of my money anyway...

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts

As we were walking into the store, there was a Black and White sign that had a a picture of a pistol with the words Weapon-Free-Zone above the pistol.

There was no other wording, no red line or any type of line going through the pistol. There was nothing showing an Arizona Legal Statute.

I went back and stowed my gun in the car. Was this a legal sign for me not to carry ? It did not say now guns allowed, just a weapon free zone ?
Was it a pistol or a revolver in the 'red circle'? Just carry the opposite...:rofl:

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
The store is private property, and can post it in any manner they like. The worst that could happen is you'd be asked to leave with the threat of trespass if you came back. Don't confuse proper posting with our new law permitting concealed guns in bars/restaurants. If they want to forbid weapons, there are very specific criteria they must follow, including specific signs and placement.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts

You do mean the store in Tempe, right?

Been there lots of times, seen the quaint little "weapon-free zone" zone which carries no specifics and no references to AZ statutes. I definitely would not openly carry in that store, but that sign never stopped me from going in there carrying concealed. To me, at least, it's a non-issue. In the unlikely event that store personnel were to observe that I'm armed and I'm asked to leave, no problem - I'll leave. In the meantime, I'll just carry on as I have been doing.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
"Weapon Free Zone" -- Ikea in Mesa AZ

Was this a legal sign for me not to carry ?
Depends on Arizona law.

1. Does Arizona have a statute that specifies, like Texas, a certain type/format of sign has legal weight?

2. Does Arizona have a statute that specifies such a sign is the equivalent of being asked to leave (if you're armed) by the property owner?

If not, then you're fine.

In Oregon, there is no legal weight to such signs. They simply mean the property owner has a policy of disarming armed customers. It doesn't mean that you're a criminal if caught, criminally trespassing if caught, negligent for having missed the signs, or even a bad person for outright ignoring the silly things.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Whether it is a legally binding sign or not would be irrelevant to me. If they don't want me in there armed, they don't want me in there spending my money. I would have not disarmed, I would have taken the wife and left. Done it before and won't hesitate to do it again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I dont think it matters if its the "legal" signage or not. If they are posting it "No Weapons" that means NO WEAPONS. Why chance it. Not worth a possible tresspassing charge.....I'd take my business elsewhere.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I dont think it matters if its the "legal" signage or not. If they are posting it "No Weapons" that means NO WEAPONS.
Well, that's exactly the point. In a state where such signs hold legal weight, they say you're a criminal if you choose to cross that line armed. Otherwise, such signs merely say that a company has a policy of wishing customers were unarmed.

As to whether a customer chooses to go elsewhere because of the obvious anti-American sentiment, that's something else entirely.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Good to know, I won't shop there. ~

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
This rant is not intended for anyone specifically here, but if it applies, use it.

I love those who say, dang the sign, go in armed no matter what, it doesn't state specifically no weapons or this or that, go ahead, stand up for your rights, show them they can't tell you, you can't carry in their store, they can't tell you what to do.

Just remember as you sit in jail reflecting on the situation that you stood up for your rights over such a ridiculous sign, I'll be out here enjoying my freedom, still carrying and going into friendly stores that don't care or welcome a armed citizen.

Learn the laws of your state and you won't have to wonder about it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
IANAL. So this is just opinion.

There is some debate in AZ whether such signs have legal weight. If there is any way that you could have missed the sign, it doesn't constitute reasonable notice by the owner and the worst that could conceivably happen is that they see you and call the police who come in and ask you to leave or face trespassing charges. Then you leave.

Or, as has been posted on this thread and is probably a more responsible way to live, you realize that this company is very much anti RKBA and you vote with your wallet for their policy to change. And send them a letter to that effect.

That is what I do. I have a "stock" letter I send to places who are posted with some customization for their particular business. I politely tell them they refused my business and that I would welcome a call from their manager to discuss it.

·
Registered
571 Posts

Those "progressive" Europeans must have a lot more luck with those signs than we do.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Depends on Arizona law.

1. Does Arizona have a statute that specifies, like Texas, a certain type/format of sign has legal weight?

2. Does Arizona have a statute that specifies such a sign is the equivalent of being asked to leave (if you're armed) by the property owner?
Answer to both is no.

The normal practice is to ask the "offending party" to leave, and if they don't, then police are called and there may be trespass charges. Among my LEO acquaintances, the "man with a gun" call at retail establishments rarely ends in arrest; restaurants and bars are a different story (but that may have changed with the new law).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ikea

In Michigan if it is posted they can have you arrested for tresspassing. The Canton Michigan Ikea store has had people removed from thier store. The local police that is doing the removing is anti gun and not very nice about it (disrespectfull). I know I will never shop there again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts