Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a question directed more toward women, but how would you feel if your date showed up armed? As a bit of background, the girl I have been talking to is OK with guns and weapons in general, as her brother shoots. Because she lives on a college campus (we are both college age), carrying an actual firearm is out of the question. That leaves me with my firearm substitute, a Kimber Pepperblaster 2 and my knives. So given that information, should I go armed or should I go unarmed?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If she is ok and it is legal, I would say carry on.

Sounds to me like your asking if you should follow the carry laws that govern her college campus though. My answers to that would be yes.

I also comply with all posted gun buster signs whether they carry force of law or not. But that is me and opinions vary widely on that.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
You are carrying for your protection, not necessarily your date's. Strap on what you feel the need to (and what you legally can according to the place you intend to meet) and leave it at that.

If I went out on a date with a gal and found out she was quite opposed to the carrying of firearms, I very much doubt there would be a second date. They say beggars can't be choosers but I ain't begging, so I'll make my choice wisely.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm a bit old-fashioned and feel it's my duty to open the door for the little lady, pay for her meal, show her respect and a good time, PLUS protect her. Of course, I carry lawfully and discreetly, and certainly don't advertise to my "date" (my wife) or my family when we go out. I would hate to think of how I "could have" protected us from harm in a bad situation, but instead chose not to carry when I should have.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I've been dating the same chick for 29 years.......she's seen it all.....several times. :embarassed:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm single and date occasionally. If I carry, I carry in a way that their hands cannot come across it accidentally. Generally that means inside a jacket pocket and secured well. Nothing around the waist/abdomen, OWB/IWB or I should say use your imagination on where a woman may put her arms/hands on you while on a date.

1,458 Posts
I have a lot of friends that don't like guns, in fact most of them don't I'd say, but we're reasonable people and have agreed to disagree on the matter. They give me a hard time about it all the time, and I do the same to them. This is obviously anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth, but of all my friends that range from a little uncomfortable with guns to very anti-gun, none of them are the least bit alarmed or express concern about my carrying a knife.

I think you're g2g on the knife and pepper blaster personally.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
8,113 Posts
If you are going where concealed carry is legal, do it but do not say anything about it. If this is a female who is adamantly opposed to her partner for the evening being armed (should she accidentally happen to find out), better to know now than later when you are serious about her. And if you do begin to get serious, before the wedding invitations are sent out is the best time to have the talk.

OK - OK -- I know there are a LOT of men married to women who are very anti. So it happens. But you asked a question so I gave you my opinion for whatever it might or might not be worth to you.

There are other threads on this forum about this same subject and about how things work out as time goes by. Some of them are really interesting with happy surprises.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Murders of Christopher Newsom and Channon Christian : snopes.com

Knoxville TN murders of Chris Newsom and Shannon Christian. NOBODY better ever forget this couple on their date...Kidnapped, raped, tortured, brutally murdered. GUN? HELL YES!!! This case and countless others are the absolute reason we should never ALLOW disarmament of the American people. Always BE armed nowadays PERIOD. May God Bless these victims and may he have no mercy on their attackers. OP consider this before your date. Be discrete, but be armed imho..

Reactions: gunpoor
1,458 Posts
There are other threads on this forum about this same subject and about how things work out as time goes by. Some of them are really interesting with happy surprises.
Well put Granny. I dated a girl for a while when I was in college that was pretty anti-gun at first. Despite what I said above, I actually now recall that she was a little freaked out when she found out that I owned a 4" fixed blade knife. They were special circumstances though, she had had some very traumatic experiences in her life that made her very leery of people.

It seemed to me that it wasn't the best time to bring up guns early on, but eventually I brought it up after probably 3 weeks (about the time most people get engaged here in utah), and we talked about it. I doubt she'll ever go and buy a gun of her own volition, but I explained why, in reasonable terms why I own and carry a gun, and she totally got it. She went from being uncomfortable with a knife to being totally fine with my having a pistol at a restaurant, movie theater, or her apartment, or a rifle when we were out hiking.

Hope this helps in some way, and good luck!

-Brian

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Both my girls when they turned 21 took there CCW class's and have carried since . Nether of the boyfriends then husbands were gun guys at the time but both ended up as CCW folks too . My first date with my wife back in 1976 was a 4x4 club trip and had shooting handguns at camp . She became an instant gun gal and has also carried for many years .

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
My wife did once ask me about what I would think if she was anti-gun and wanted me to get rid of my guns...........I just replied that would be no problem..BUT ( Yeah, there is always a "but") then I would become a complete non violent pacifist. This would mean that if we were attacked or our home invaded that I would verbally request any attacker to please leave my wife alone and beat or rape me instead of her because I abhor violence. Then if they chose her instead of me.... I would run away to find a policeman to help us. :yup:

She opted for door #1 with the guns..............:king:

Reactions: UrsusMedius

·
Registered
9,336 Posts
Will there be alcohol involved? That would be the determining factor for me.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Will there be alcohol involved? That would be the determining factor for me.
This has and probably will disarm me more than any sign or policy ever will. Damn my love for the drink.

Reactions: Black Arch Holsters

·
Registered
270 Posts
Carry and say nothing. My fiancé has to touch me where I carry my gun to know whether or not I'm carrying. Now if you are going into a college dorm then the matter changes a bit unless you're lucky enough that concealed carry is legal at that campus. What she doesn't know can't hurt her but it might save her life if a bad guy comes knocking. My fiancé was not anti gun when I met her but she had never shot before...so I took her out shooting my .22 bolt action rifle on one of our first dates and now she's loves to shoot. She also has her CWL now too. My best advice, if your woman has never shot before, do NOT give her a big gun with lots of recoil right away. Best of wishes to ya!

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
So is that a mouse gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?:gah:

:camper:

I had to search for an icon with a LONG gun.:wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts