Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preparing for my next gun buy, I went out and was looking at Glocks. Holding the G19 and the G32 side by side, there was a large difference in weight. I am ok paying the difference cost per shot for the sig, but the thought, is the extra weight of the firearm worth it in the long term?

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
If you dont carry the heavier gun because you eventually think it is too heavy, then it isnt worth it.

If the 9mm is that much lighter than the .357 Sig, I wouldnt feel undergunned with it. Get the some of the higher end 9mm and call it good.

You'll have less muzzleflash, less muzzle rise and the 9MM ammo is a lot easier to find.

If none of that matters to you and you can shoot the .357 as well, the go with the .357 Sig.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The 19 is only about 1/2 ounce lighter. The 19 is a great handgun, but I wouldn't let the weight difference make the decision when it is so minor.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the weight difference becomes even smaller with fully loaded magazines. 15 rounds of 9mm or 13 rounds of 357sig.
G19: weight of pistol without magazine is 20.99oz, and a fully loaded (15rd) magazine is 8.99oz for a total combined weight of a fully loaded pistol as 29.98oz.
G32: weight of pistol without magazine is 21.52oz, and a fully loaded (13rd) magazine is 8.64oz for a total combined weight of 30.16oz.
Over all, considering standard capacity, fully loaded magazines in both pistols, the overall difference in weight between the two is a whopping .18oz. If you're restricted to a 10 round magazine capacity, this difference in weight could increase.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think more than anything I did not expect there to be much noticeable weight difference. Hate to say it, holding the 32 felt like holding a Hi-Point weight wise. I

I am looking at the 33, but surely would need the extension as I hate shooting with my pinky just hanging there.

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Actually the weight difference isn't enough to even worry about. The Glock 19 empty weight is 20.99 oz and loaded is 29.98 oz. The Glock 32 is 21.52oz. empty and 30.16 oz. loaded. Empty that makes the G32 .52 oz. heavier and loaded .18 oz heavier. The 2 additional rounds in 9mm basically equals out the weight.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Actually the weight difference isn't enough to even worry about. The Glock 19 empty weight is 20.99 oz and loaded is 29.98 oz. The Glock 32 is 21.52oz. empty and 30.16 oz. loaded. Empty that makes the G32 .52 oz. heavier and loaded .18 oz heavier. The 2 additional rounds in 9mm basically equals out the weight.
Ram Rod said:
I'd be willing to bet the weight difference becomes even smaller with fully loaded magazines. 15 rounds of 9mm or 13 rounds of 357sig.
G19: weight of pistol without magazine is 20.99oz, and a fully loaded (15rd) magazine is 8.99oz for a total combined weight of a fully loaded pistol as 29.98oz.
G32: weight of pistol without magazine is 21.52oz, and a fully loaded (13rd) magazine is 8.64oz for a total combined weight of 30.16oz.
Over all, considering standard capacity, fully loaded magazines in both pistols, the overall difference in weight between the two is a whopping .18oz. If you're restricted to a 10 round magazine capacity, this difference in weight could increase.
Today 01:26 AM
I'm getting this weird sense of deja vu.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Any considerations on a G33? My primary carry gun is a G33. IMO - very light and concealable in a IWB holster.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I have both of these and have decided on the G32 as my daily carry. With the G19with a CT Laser as H D. I notice no difference in a Bianchi 120 IWB.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you dont carry the heavier gun because you eventually think it is too heavy, then it isnt worth it.

If the 9mm is that much lighter than the .357 Sig, I wouldnt feel undergunned with it. Get the some of the higher end 9mm and call it good.

You'll have less muzzleflash, less muzzle rise and the 9MM ammo is a lot easier to find.

If none of that matters to you and you can shoot the .357 as well, the go with the .357 Sig.
I agree. Most of the members of our local PD's scores went down BIG TIME with the .Glock 31 357 Sigs that replaced our beloved Sig 226's. It's still where you hit that counts and I personally prefer the 9 to the .357 Sig. Easier to control and faster to get back on target for follow up shots. Plus ammo is cheaper and readily available.

SG

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I think more than anything I did not expect there to be much noticeable weight difference.
Either you have one of the models confused with something else, or something else is wrong...Most people can't tell the difference of 1/2 ounce of weight between their two hands... these two guns should feel the same to you, since they are identical in size and only have a minuscule weight difference...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I would think that the added recoil would be much more noticable than the weight - I happen to like the .357 SIG round, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with 9mm.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any considerations on a G33? My primary carry gun is a G33. IMO - very light and concealable in a IWB holster.

I held it, it was lighter for sure, I would have to get the extensions, I hate having my pinky free.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I held it, it was lighter for sure, I would have to get the extensions, I hate having my pinky free.
I added Pearce extensions to my mags. Feels better, and not too much of a difference for concealement - IMO. Certainly smaller than my G29.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts