Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So even after trimming back my trees, I still have a squirrel problem. Apparently my roof line looks like a luxurious Westin to these critters.

I have two urban-friendly options: My trusty old Benjamin 397P multi-pump pneumatic and an Air Venture Bronco springer.

The 397P is a great gun, and I've taken many pests with it over the 27 years I've had it. I've fitted it with a peep, and it's very accurate. But at 6 - 8 pumps, it is LOUD. Very loud. At the maximum 8 pumps, it's probably pushing an 8.64 grain hunting pellet about 700 FPS. That's enough for a clean kill. It also takes 8 pumps to get up to that speed.

The Bronco is a really a target springer. It also has a peep, and it's reasonably accurate. However, it's only launching a 8.64 grain hunting pellet about 540 FPS, and it's really just on the edge of ensuring a humane kill at close range. But I've had a couple of squirrels take a pellet and skitter off, probably to die some time later after suffering. Not good.

So after doing some research, the HW50S seems to fit what I need. It will launch a 8.64 grain pellet about 740 FPS, which is a good velocity for a humane kill, but low enough to quickly lose the modest energy it has (I live in the burbs, and I don't want a 1100 FPS .22 cal pellet flying around).

There's also an HW30S, which is slightly smaller, but it's only about 60 FPS more than the Bronco. So rather than buy that and still not be satisfied with the performance, I went with the HW50S.

Chronometer tables for each are here:

I also ordered peep with it, so once it's set up I'll report back. Anyone here have an HW50S or HW30S, or a preferred pellet gun for backyard pests?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
There was another recent thread about an air gun that shoots arrows. How about one of those?

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There was another recent thread about an air gun that shoots arrows. How about one of those?
Nah. Last time I looked, rifles were an improvement over the bow and arrow.

Kind of like a horse carriage with an internal combustion engine assist.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
I own 2 Benjamin 392 pump's. Both .22 cal. Yes, they're somewhat loud. But, while there are neighbor's around, most are not home during the day. Sound would not be an issue here. I transferred a "cheap red dot" from an AR I've got (upgraded it to good glass when I figured out what I wanted). The red dot on the Benjamin makes it a "tack driver". "Only 3 pumps, at 25 yds. & I can cover a quarter with my group! I also own 2 .177 cal. pistol's. "A cheap spring powered model", & a Benjamin (Crossman) Classic pump. Shooting pellet gun's is "GREAT"! Keep's me shooting, and a plus, since I live somewhat in the country, where there are "small pest's". @PEF have you thought about "up-grading to a model with a suppressor"?

Reactions: BamaT and airslot

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own 2 Benjamin 392 pump's. Both .22 cal. Yes, they're somewhat loud. But, while there are neighbor's around, most are not home during the day. Sound would not be an issue here. I transferred a "cheap red dot" from an AR I've got (upgraded it to good glass when I figured out what I wanted). The red dot on the Benjamin makes it a "tack driver". "Only 3 pumps, at 25 yds. & I can cover a quarter with my group! I also own 2 .177 cal. pistol's. "A cheap spring powered model", & a Benjamin (Crossman) Classic pump. Shooting pellet gun's is "GREAT"! Keep's me shooting, and a plus, since I live somewhat in the country, where there are "small pest's". @PEF have you thought about "up-grading to a model with a suppressor"?

Nah, the moderators are an extra hundred bucks, and from what I read the HW50S will be quiet enough that I will not need one.

Intrigued by the dot optic on the 397. How did you mount it?

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
@PEF There's a company that makes a "very inexpensive, yet stout" adapter", which adds a "picatinny rail section" to the "breach area" of my rifle. Then I just mounted the red dot to it. "It looks a little high, BUT, really no different than the "stock iron sight's" that were on an M16a1, if you catch my drift. I thought I'd have trouble sighting it in, BUT, it was a breeze! Less than 1/2 dozen shot's @ 25 yds. & "bingo"! Here's the link for it, but "I think (?) I paid a little less". I've got pic's, but can't post currently (Laptop issues :mad:) Try to get them posted!

Reactions: airslot and PEF

·
Premium Member
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it arrived, and I must say I am impressed. The stock open sights are very good. The front sight has a number of different apertures one can use.

The rifle is solid and well built. Cocking effort is not at all difficult, probably in the 20 pound range, and the 8.64 grain pellets I am shooting have plenty of zip; I'd estimate well over 700 FPS.

Out of the box at about 15 yards it was shooting about 1" to the right. A couple of clicks on the rear sight centered the point of impact. Once dialed in I could consistently hit a 1.5" spinner with careful aim, and the 3.5" spinner I could hit every time without any real effort. It also dispatched with certain authority a few old canned IPA's well beyond their freshness date. I did purchases a Williams peep sight for it, but I may not end up using it, as the stock sights are so good.

The gun does not end its firing cycle in the heavy "twang" like my much less expensive Air Venturi Bronco. More like a firm "thup!' and with no residual vibration. The gun is very quiet, and does not have the extremely loud "POP!" of my Benjamin 397. That's important, as I don't want to disturb my neighbors with the loud "pops" every minute.

This appears to be a good compromise between power and accuracy. Some of the low power springers are very accurate, but at 500 - 550 FPS, squirrel kills and other very small pest animal kills can be inhumane if you are off by just a smidge. Yes, pests are pests, but they are just doing what they do and there's no reason for them to suffer.

On the other end of the spectrum, the 1000+ FPS .177 springers require a strong cocking effort and are not ideal for lazy Saturday afternoon plinking. Moreover, the faster the pellet, the longer the danger range for ricochets, etc. Finally, these "magnum" springers can be surprisingly loud and annoy everyone but the shooter.

Thus, my initial impressions are that this a great gun for target shooting and squirrel control.

I'll test it out some more this weekend and perhaps provide an update.

Here's another stock photo.

Here are the pellets I am using:

These are almost identical to the old Beeman "Silver Sting" that are no longer made.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I think you need to get a chronograph, and get some actual numbers. If you want to have some fun, you could do some gel squirrel block testing, or make mock-up squirrels Paul Harrell style.

Glad the pellet gun is working out for you. Now, go out and smite some tree rats. Vicious little rodents.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
I think you need to get a chronograph, and get some actual numbers. If you want to have some fun, you could do some gel squirrel block testing, or make mock-up squirrels Paul Harrell style.

Glad the pellet gun is working out for you. Now, go out and smite some tree rats. Vicious little rodents.
"or make mock-up squirrels Paul Harrell style". (y) 😂

·
Registered
7,319 Posts
@PEF WE have some people who have bought high end air rifles from these guys. Also, one of our Staff members hunts with a compressed air rifle, and he has taken small gem with it.

Just something you might want to look at

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
oh boy PEF! You have a winner there. Last year I bought the HW30 and the HW95.
The HW30, small and light, sends a .177 7.33 grain dome pellet @690 FPS and a Crosman 7.9 @650 or so.
One squirrel, 30 yards, pass through nutter noggin.

The 95 is a .22 pushing Crosman 14.3 @695 FPS, has not drawn blood yet. Both are stupid accurate. I have put cans on both from airgun universe. 3Dprinted, $25. Takes all the snap out of the report. A must for where I live.

Both were twangy so I put spring kits in them. I also clipped a three coils from the spring to take the edge off the 95. What ever you do, don’t dry fire it, ever.

The HW50 size and performance fits right between the two I have. You could not have made a better choice.

I keep switching between scopes and a Williams peep sight and have come to the conclusion that I “Need” another 177 and 22.
The 50 in 177 will be my next and have not decided on which HW in 22. I am so glad I avoided all of the non German guns, after the stupid Gamo I bought 15 years ago.

Go over to Gateway to air guns and check out the German gun forum. Try not to fall down the rabbit hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
You will find that it will shoot most pellets well, but the JSB or Air Arms 7.87 or 8.44 will give the best accuracy.
Neither of mine are pellet picky and will shoot the filthy Crosmans well. I wash and lube all my pellets, helps keep the barrel cleaner.
I clean the barrel right out of the box with goo gone. Very mild and takes the brown stuff out that may be a rust preventative. There is a lot of controversy on cleaning, some never do.
My 30 needs it after about three tins. The 95 hasn’t yet, but I treated that one differently. I cleaned it, then ran patches with JB bore polish, maybe 10 passes.
Cleaned again and began the Hector Medina’s “Run in” process. Hector is Connecticut Custom Air guns. He is a Diana rep and a champion field target shooter. Knows his stuff.

One shot, clean, another shot, clean, repeat for 10 shots (so far, 10 shots)
Now take 5 shots, clean
another 5 shots, clean, repeat till you accumulate 10 cleans (so far, 60 shots).Now take 10 shots and clean, repeat until 300 shots. All dry patches. This fills in all the valleys in the bore.

So far I have felt it made a big difference.

Most of my shooting is at 10 meters in my basement. Working off hand and from the table.
Springers can have a learning curve kuz they jump a little. But here is a sample. I am ready to get out side and shoot some longer ranges. Still not very good off hand.
I have been shooting in online matches and get smoked every time.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts