Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the local big box sporting goods store to buy some 9mm ammo today.

Wanted some 147gr practice ammo to try in my Ruger LCR.

Couldn't find any in stock. There were piles of 40 S&W, 45 acp, 38 special, 357 Mag etc. -- but no 9mm practice stuff.

Even odd ball stuff like a pile of 327 Federal and 32 S&W long -- but all they had in 9mm was a few boxes of very expensive SD stuff. Nothing I want to but down range into paper.

Plenty of 22lr, 22 Mag, and 17 hmr also in stock.

Just three week ago, the last time I was there they had a dozen or more varieties of 9mm.

The hoarders must have hit. Weird.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Probably a lot of people are buying ammo to go with their Christmas guns and to give as gifts.

Reactions: Ianthin

·
Registered
144 Posts
I bought 10 boxes of 147g the weekend of Black Friday due to the Remington $5 rebate. Still, my local stores have plenty now - and they are running sales for around $10/box.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Uh you do know they are about to come down hard and I mean hard on Ammo in CA right ? Ie ammo permits needed , no online sales etc etc

I am surpised they had anything to be frank ..

Just do I what I do and get it online ..Better prices and selction

Also 124 tends to one that is harder to find for me ..115 not so much but 124 and 147 not as fun

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
WrongRecroom probably hit the nail on the head. Residents of Komiformia are stocking up before the new laws kick in. Can't believe what you folks allow your lawmakers to do to you. Unbelievable new laws coming online early next year for you.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WrongRecroom probably hit the nail on the head. Residents of Komiformia are stocking up before the new laws kick in. Can't believe what you folks allow your lawmakers to do to you. Unbelievable new laws coming online early next year for you.
Possible, but it seemed strange to me there was a shortage in 9mm and nothing else.

I think I'll hit Bass pro tomorrow and see if they have 9mm.

There is a lot of talk about that law not going into effect for a year at least as there is no system in place for lgs' s to do ammo background checks.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Hard to believe any gun enthusiast in California would not understand why the shelves are bare or almost bare.

Guess that's part of the answer to, "How could California gun owners let this happen". Situational awareness is not just for criminals anymore.

A great time to secede. Hopefully, our new POTUS will have California pay for the continuation of that wall on out to the north of Cali then hard west turn a few miles into the ocean.

Reactions: WrongRecroom

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Possible, but it seemed strange to me there was a shortage in 9mm and nothing else.

I think I'll hit Bass pro tomorrow and see if they have 9mm.

There is a lot of talk about that law not going into effect for a year at least as there is no system in place for lgs' s to do ammo background checks.
Again as you said stuff like 327 mag etc few people own them ..9MM is one of the more populare rounds in the county for civis and police ...People are getting ammo they neeed for the rest of there life or stuff they firg they can trade or such down the road ...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
9mm is currently the most popular caliber, by far. So it probably stands to reason that it would be the first to get snapped up in California, given concerns about the new laws Californians now face. I have 9mm pistols, but rarely carry or shoot them. .40S&W and .45auto are definitely my favorites. If what you're observing proves true and widespread in California, being a .40S&W and .45auto shooter may be quite advantageous there.

Given California's mag capacity limit of 10-rounds, and the possible shortage of 9mm ammo, makes carry guns like the M&P40 Compact (10+1 rounds of .40S&W) and the Glock 30 (10+1 rounds of .45auto) especially appealing. That is if you can even get a concealed carry permit (concealed carry approvals as rare as hen's teeth in California). At least you can have the gun in your home. That is unless you live in SF. I believe they outright banned firearm ownership in the city of SF, didn't they?

I grew up and spent most of my life in SF and the SF Bay Area, but will never move back to California again. Beautiful state ruined by liberal politics. So sad and unfortunate. And now there's a push to make the entire state a "sanctuary State". G o o d. L o r d. :frown:

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
348 Posts
Our local Walmart way farther north has been out of 9mm ammo more often than they have had it in stock. Fortunately we have another store in town that has a very good selection.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well, if it was hoarders (which would they be hoarding now?), then they are folks who own 9mm guns. Nothing weird about that. I don't buy up ammo for calibers I don't have either.

Could just be that somebody is going to a weekend shoot.

Or as noted, they just ran out. 9mm is a very popular round, after all.

Every once in a while, Walmart runs out of the particular brand of milk we use, though there is plenty of other brands on the shelf. Hoarders? Nope. Sometimes, it just happens.

Nothing strange going on.

Reactions: Erich1B

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
They are down to their last 10 pallets of 9mm at my LGS...which is not in California.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
The new CA ammo laws don't take effect till 2018. And I suspect the 9mm will still be available on retailers shelves. Its all the odd calibers that will be so hard to get! The Hoarders are already sitting on piles of ammo, And the Ammo price gougers are trying to figure out what to do next! DR

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
What is the definition of hoarder?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I stocked up on Cyber Monday and should be good for another couple of election cycles. My retired big city LEO BIL is a promoter of having a minimum of 5000 rounds in stock for every caliber you own. That's a bit much for me though.
BTW: last few trips to WW they had plenty of 9 on the shelves and more in the back.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have only 2k of each, for the guns lost in the last heavy rain storm.
Big brother is still looking for ways to restrict my rights, and will find either a legal or illegal one!
I can't understand hoarding, but I can see having enough to carry past the Zombie meltdown.
It is sunny and about 50 with broken clouds! A great day in the Great outdoor state of Oregon.
Happy holidays, in case I miss you before then. Tom TKH

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new CA ammo laws don't take effect till 2018. And I suspect the 9mm will still be available on retailers shelves. Its all the odd calibers that will be so hard to get! The Hoarders are already sitting on piles of ammo, And the Ammo price gougers are trying to figure out what to do next! DR
Right. Gun dealers will still sell the popular types of ammo, and 9mm, 38 special, 357 magnum, etc. You should still be available to get common stuff, even after this law goes into effect.

I sometimes carry a S&W 431PD in 32 H&R Magnum, and worried about whether I will be able to keep feeding it.

The 32 S&W Long is occasionally available (at high prices) in local stores. But I rarely see 32 H&R Mag.

I've been stocking up on ammo for my 431PD and have enough defense loads forever. But I limited myself to enough practice fodder for several years.

Worst case, I'll retire the 431 and carry a 38 special.

For a while I was considering buying a S&W Terrier -- a 1950's revolver in 38 Smith and Wesson (not 38 special) but passed on it because I didn't want another difficult mouth to feed.

Killing mail order is really a bummer for people who collect unusual guns.

I don't see how shafting gun collectors makes society safer, but they don't ask me when they pass these laws.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts