Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you're talking about the brass ones, I'm not sure but they do resemble some of those rounds a Belgian company called VBR was marketing, they don't look exactly the same though so it could be coincidence/prototype or somebody else who came up with the same idea. I believe theirs were armor piercing.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Agreed, very interesting read. The following caught my attention:

Van Dyk went on to design a revised 9mm bullet intended to provide some expansion. The bullet retains the conical point but has a high ridge surrounding it. It was known as the 'Cobra' bullet, which was further developed into the 'Eliminator' or 'Sentry' bullets. These have been produced in a wide range of pistol calibres, including the 7.62x25 Tokarev. Bullets similar to the THV have also been made by Ram Products in 9mm, .38 and .45 calibres.

I wonder if the Federal HydraShok is a variation on this design - or did it come first? I believe the HydraShok design was created in the early 80s.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recall the THV being older...when I first started in LE (mid 80's) there was an old timer who had a couple of the .357 magnum THV's in his cartridge loops. I don't recall having seen hydra-shoks before that...just going on my memory, alone, though...

The hydra-shock was invented by Tom Byrzinski(sp?) and the design later picked-up by Federal, IIRC...

I have some books that should give more accurate dates, if I can find them...

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I recall the THV being older...when I first started in LE (mid 80's) there was an old timer who had a couple of the .357 magnum THV's in his cartridge loops. I don't recall having seen hydra-shoks before that...just going on my memory, alone, though...

The hydra-shock was invented by Tom Byrzinski(sp?) and the design later picked-up by Federal, IIRC...

I have some books that should give more accurate dates, if I can find them...
Yea, Federal bought the rights to the design, but I don't know when. The two designs sure sound related.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Looks like a box full of Christmas tree ornaments.....er...ah.....um...armaments.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the picture of the .357 near the bottom of awoods article looks very similar to a .38 critical defense round!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts