Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the wife to sign up for her CWP!! Now i just gotta get her to the range and readied up for the class next month!! LOL She hasnt never shot a gun in her life! well, thats all about to change now!! LOL now i just gotta figure out a good caliber for her and we will be set.. But hey just getting her to sign was VICTORY ITSELF! :danceban:

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Start her out with a .22 and work up from there...she may just surprise you.:image035::yup:

Congrats on the class sign-up.:hand10::congrats:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Start her out with a .22 and work up from there...she may just surprise you.:image035::yup:

Congrats on the class sign-up.:hand10::congrats:
+1 on starting with the .22. I made the mistake of starting my wife with a snubby .38 as the first gun she ever fired, almost scared her off of shooting altogether. But after shooting my .22 pistol and rifle for a while, she started liking shooting, then worked her way up to carrying and shooting a Glock G26 very well.

Once she is comfortable with the .22 have her try larger calibers, and her HER decide what she is comfortable shooting and carrying.

It's ideal if you can go to a range that rents guns so she can try several different guns before buying the one she likes.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Congratulations! Nothing like your better half being your backup! Start her out with a Glock 19 and maybe your days of trials and tribulations will be shortened.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Congrats on her signing up for her class :congrats: Looks like it's time to start gun shopping...

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
cool, be gentle and encouraging

·
Registered
139 Posts
ditto on starting her out on a 22. my wife was really afraid of the gun coming out of her hand when she shot it. she shot a few round out of a 22 and immediately wanted to move up to my 9mm. it shouldn't take much time at all for her to want to try something bigger.

·
Banned
464 Posts
Finally got the wife to sign up for her CWP!! Now i just gotta get her to the range and readied up for the class next month!! LOL She hasnt never shot a gun in her life! well, thats all about to change now!! LOL now i just gotta figure out a good caliber for her and we will be set.. But hey just getting her to sign was VICTORY ITSELF! :danceban:
Why not let her decide?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Congrats, one step closer. Take her to the range and rent her some guns in various calibers to try. I agree with the others. Start with .22 and let her become comfortable, hopefully she'll end up with the 9mm at the end and like it. Good SD round for anyone to carry. :bier:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not let her decide?

Oh i will... The range i go to here will let you rent unlimited guns for $25 (just gotta have the ammo) so i think we may go this weekend and have a "Fitting" LOL..... Thanks everybody for the advice we will start with a .22 and go from there.. cuz i don't see it being a good idea putting my .40 in her hands and say HOLD ON! hahaha

·
Registered
32 Posts
My friends thought I was a little crazy when I started teaching my soon to be wife to shoot. Since then we were married and both of us have CCW permits.
I started her out with a .22, but she fell in love with virtually every pistol I have, so it got a little crazy for awhile. Finally, she fell in love with a Ruger LCP, in .380.
Congratz on getting your wife interested. I suggest you start her out with a .22, also. Then let her curiosity take her to a pistol she really feels comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yup, starting with a .22 is a great idea... unfortinately I don't have a .22 for my g/f to try, so i started her with my 9mm. I was gonna start her on the .380, but it actually hurt my hand more than the 9mm, and there wasn't too much of a difference in the recoil.

Needless to say, she fired the 9mm once, put it down, did a 180, and walked away scared. Took me 20 minutes to get her to try the .380, and then the 9mm again. Now she likes shooting, but can't shoot too much due to tendinitis in her wrist.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yup, starting with a .22 is a great idea... unfortinately I don't have a .22 for my g/f to try, so i started her with my 9mm. I was gonna start her on the .380, but it actually hurt my hand more than the 9mm, and there wasn't too much of a difference in the recoil.

Needless to say, she fired the 9mm once, put it down, did a 180, and walked away scared. Took me 20 minutes to get her to try the .380, and then the 9mm again. Now she likes shooting, but can't shoot too much due to tendinitis in her wrist.
I bought a 9mm Glock thinking my gf would shoot it, but she's too scared and would probably do the same thing yours did. If only I had a .22 pistol to start her out with. I do have a Ruger LCP now, but I haven't even shot that myself yet, so I don't know how that will be.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I bought a 9mm Glock thinking my gf would shoot it, but she's too scared and would probably do the same thing yours did. If only I had a .22 pistol to start her out with. I do have a Ruger LCP now, but I haven't even shot that myself yet, so I don't know how that will be.
You know what really caused it? A few months ago, my girlfriend, her sister, her sister's boyfriend, and I were watching videos on youtube of people (mostly women) firing large caliber pistols where they'd hit themselves in their face.

Well, I didn't think anything of it, until she got scared and said "it almost hit me in the face!" Yeah... it was no where NEAR her face. Finally she believed me and now she prefers the 9mm.

There was a guy and his teenage son next to us at the range using a .22, but she wouldn't let me ask them to let her try it a few times.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Congratulations. My wife just applied for her CCW too. I used the other approach and took her to Front Sight for a 2-day handgun class. She used my Glock 23 (which I have now lost to her). The first thing she said after the class was "we have to do this again". Front Sight also has great situal awareness classes and lots of stories that helped convince her to get her CCW.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMO .22 is good idea but moving to a glock after that? maybe a gun with more safety features for someone with no gun experience? my girl had no experience with guns. got her to shot my .22/45 then moved to the pt111 9mm.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can't say enough about starting a new shooter on a .22. I've been an instructor for many years. And I've run many ladies through classes. I can't tell you how many problems I've had to coach rather new shooters through because they started shooting with higher power guns and couldn't focus on the basics of marksmanship. Let them start with an easy to handle .22, learn good fundamentals and discover the joy of hitting what they're aiming at. Then move up in power.

Congrats on getting your lady to shoot with you. Wish mine would. I know a lot of couples who enjoy shooting league together. I'm envious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The key for me was to get my wife shooting with a female instructor. I would leave them alone, and the instructor got her going. I started her with a .380, and now I can't buy enough ammo for her. She just received her Texas CHL.

Certanly nothing against starting with a .22, I used the same theory for the shotguns. Started the women(two daughters 9&16) with a .410, and now we've worked up to a 20 gauge.

My wife and I also use the range as a date to get some time away from the kids. Good luck to you and you have some good times ahead of you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts