Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stack-On | Products | 18-Gun Fully Convertible Steel Security Cabinet

So all those dang cases are taking up A lot of room, so I broke down and got this cabinet. yeah yeah safes are better I know. but if I'm going to get a safe I'm going to get a SAFE and finding a landlord that is willing to let you bolt down a 1,200 lb beast of a safe is likely few and far between (in my experience of asking anyway) so waiting until I have my own house.

So here is my question: what are your tips for keeping the humidity from rusting up my guns?

Here is an idea of how humid it gets, my rearview mirror fell off my windshield last summer. Yep, and the glass guys I went to, to stick it back on said it's common around here.

So I don't physically have it yet, so not sure if I can get one of those plug in systems (should have it in the next week or so) so looking for all ideas, things you all do.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
42 Posts
"Here is an idea of how humid it gets, my rearview mirror fell off my windshield last summer. Yep, and the glass guys I went to, to stick it back on said it's common around here."

You need to find new glass guys. I live in an extremely dry climate in the middle east, and I've had my rear view mirror put back on 4 times in the last year. It fell off in the intense heat of last summer while we were on a road trip to the extreme south of Israel, and it's been a nightmare ever since, but it obviously has nothing to do with humidity. I chalk it up to Subaru not being what they were, to the car being 12 years old, and to incompetent glass work. The last time it fell off, I ended up replacing the whole windshield, and the guys who did that claim to stand behind their work. We'll see.

jb

·
Registered
37,004 Posts
"So here is my question: what are your tips for keeping the humidity from rusting up my guns? "

The same ways you did before you got the cabinet. Gun cabinets/safes don't cause rust, lack of care does.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Assuming your cabinet is air-tight enough to keep most of the moisture out, any of the "golden rod" or other dehumidifying products ought to help. Of course, that assumes the cabinet is any better than simply tossing the stuff in a corner of the room and hoping the moisture will stay away. The cabinet should be far better than that, if you're to have any hope of keeping them humidity-free.

In a proper safe, I've had the golden rod, rechargeable EVA units and the canisters of desiccant. So long as there's sufficient ability to remove the humidity that's there, and so long as you properly oil/prepare your weapons for storage, it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
You can always buy Desiccant Crystals in bulk. When they change in color from blue to pink, take them out, and dry them out in the oven. They are then recharged and can be used again.

Reactions: VBVAGUY

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
I leave a light bulb,(60 watt) in the cabinet.
It helps but it isn't a cure-all.

Getting lazy and not getting downstairs to rub them down enough is the culprit.

Reactions: gasmitty

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,448 Posts
The problem with dessicants is that you need to pay attention to them, and if left unmaintained, you have the equivalent of a wet sponge sitting in your safe.

In order to prevent moisture from condensing on anything in the safe, the internal volume only needs to be warmer than the rest of the local environment - even by one degree (but a few degrees is better). That's how the elegant and compact but pricey Goldenrods work, and as oneshot suggests, a low-wattage bulb will do fine. Best if your heat source is placed low in the safe.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
The problem with dessicants is that you need to pay attention to them, and if left unmaintained, you have the equivalent of a wet sponge sitting in your safe.

In order to prevent moisture from condensing on anything in the safe, the internal volume only needs to be warmer than the rest of the local environment - even by one degree (but a few degrees is better). That's how the elegant and compact but pricey Goldenrods work, and as oneshot suggests, a low-wattage bulb will do fine. Best if your heat source is placed low in the safe.
Yup, that would be the downside to them. I didn't want to run power into my safe, so anything that plugged in wasn't going to be an option for me. I only take mine out probably every three months or so, so it's not very high maintenance, but as you said, you do have to do it otherwise it just stops working.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts

In order to prevent moisture from condensing on anything in the safe, the internal volume only needs to be warmer than the rest of the local environment - even by one degree (but a few degrees is better). That's how the elegant and compact but pricey Goldenrods work, and as oneshot suggests, a low-wattage bulb will do fine. Best if your heat source is placed low in the safe.[/QUOT

For this same reason I use rope lights taped in the lower corners of my safe. They do double duty by lighting up the interior also. One of my safes is air tight it was designed to keep floppy disks safe from smoke and fire. In that one I use bulk desiccants. I use old socks filled with the gel bead type of cat litter. With that type of safe keeping it from condensing would only worsen the moisture problem. air tight safes are not very common tho. DR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts