Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all the members who gave their opinion on my Yay or Nay post that being said please indulge me one more time. That ruger or this Smith and Wesson model 36 Chiefs Special?? 3 inch barrel in 38spc of course guys asking 550 but I can get him down to 500. Yes the ruger is a 357/38 and this is only a 38spc and that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
Sleeve Handgun holster Gun accessory Everyday carry Revolver

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
I'm not saying it would be the smartest choice but I would opt for the Ruger. I don't have a case to make for that choice other than I'm not a big fan of J Frame revolvers. You're going to be a winner either way.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Both are good quality revolvers, but the ruger being able to fire.357 would be my preference. It’s just built heavier.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Potential Smithsonian Museum candidate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks to all the members who gave their opinion on my Yay or Nay post that being said please indulge me one more time. That ruger or this Smith and Wesson model 36 Chiefs Special?? 3 inch barrel in 38spc of course guys asking 550 but I can get him down to 500. Yes the ruger is a 357/38 and this is only a 38spc and that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.
View attachment 367882
I had a nickle 3" S & W Chief years ago and wish I had never sold it. It was very accurate. I currently have a model 60 that is not so accurate.....as far as 357 vs. 38 Sp......go with the 38 Sp and the FBI load....it is a +P all lead load that was actually developed by the Dallas Police Department. That round has never failed to stop when you had to use the them.....357 is pretty much useless out of a 3" bbl....plenty of fireball which translates into useless increase in speed but spectacular fireballs and if used at night will blind you.....the only argument for 357 would be if that was the only ammunition you could find.....but if you handload or stayed ahead of the demand you are ok.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
the smith's strength is concealed carry.......and/or reduced weight for field carry like a kit gun......it is more specialized and narrow/specific in scope.....concealed carry and reduced weight.

the ruger is a service 4" revolver for open carry and wears many hats.....jack of all trades.....king of nothing. She was built for service....not concealed carry.

in this case, i would go with the Smith.....she has a pinned barrel and no hillary hole....its better suited for my needs and in the long term probably more valuable.

i do like ruger revolvers......but a 3" j-frame Smith i would not pass up as i can see myself possibly applying it at times for carry. The Ruger would be more of a range plinker/truck gun for me.......i have K frame Smiths for competition.

my 357 days are far and few.......the 38 is a different matter.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Get both and sell one next year if you don’t care for one more than the other. Both will appreciate in value esp with how things are going. You will not lose money and could make some. The other really is a good deal at that price, not sure what they want for this one but it’s only money and an investment.

It would be a hard decision, I’m a smith person but would pick a 357 over a 38 personally.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts