Defensive Carry banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How times fly the colt sp1 is now over 50 years old for the first run of them near

Just to think the first Commercial AR came out in the mid 60s wow

·
Super Moderator
19,206 Posts
Fun video clip! Thanks WrongRecroom!

The forward assist had me going for a moment until he explained about the rifle's "put-together" features.

The notched bolt carrier on the 1973 vintage SP-1 that I bought used in 1989 always had me wondering if it'd been changed out by a previous owner, but this clip explains that Colt just stuck the notched carriers in all of 'em after that particular parts revision was incorporated in the Army contract guns. I'd never encountered that explanation before. Goes to show that one should be cautious about replacing parts that he assumes would not be correct on a certain gun, in order to make the gun "more correct."

Now I gotta take the buffer out to see if it's of the "early" style discussed on the clip.

It's unimportant in the overall scheme of things, but I have no desire at all for forward assist, a feature I view as so much baggage. It's for someone else to feel the need to force the issue when a cartridge won't chamber for some reason. I want it out-a-there!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Then they outta' let me buy a Gatling Gun without even bothering to fill-out a 4473! :biggrin2:

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should dig out the one SP1 I have used ..Lose as all dickens but a TX DOJ gun ..Very mis match though SP1 lower A2 upper ... Org stock and pistol grip though I think

Very odd

Reactions: bmcgilvray
1 - 7 of 7 Posts