Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out at my father-in-laws land not long ago. Father-in-law is a victim of a very damaging stroke, and stage four brain cancer (same thing that killed Kennedy). Anyways, I usually patrol his land once a week to make sure all is good. Since he doesn't patrol, or is active around there anymore the wild life has moved in closer around his home.

Well I was almost done with my patrol...checking new deer tracks and pathways they make, seeing were they lay, poop etc, and picked up a few hog tracks and root spots also.

As I approached were the range is two feral dogs and I spooked each other. They were tearing up the pad I use to prone shoot:aargh4:....stuffing was all over the place. Well I froze...one dog and I were in a stare down it was a rott 80-100lbs 'bout 50yrads from me. The other dog was doing large cirlces around me moving in and out of brush 15yard diameter barking and growling. Looked mostly like a mutt close to 40-50lbs. Both were all raggy looking but not skinny.

I had my SKS slung around the back of me....as I slung the gun around and got it in the ready position it spooked the rott and it came at me...FAST. I popped off three shots in rapid fire. The Rott was no longer a threat. The mutt was in a full blown sprint out of dodge and heading for the hills in a strait line from me. I took aim and dropped it with a single pop.

I just stood there for a moment....just taking eveything in, and pissed that my pad was all torn up . I walked to where the Rott was and it was for sure dead. I then walked out to the other and it was still alive and in a state suffering....I finished it off.

Got back to the house strapped my Kimber .45 on, grab a chain and shovel. I dragged the two off into a woody part made a shallow grave and buried the both of 'em.

WOW what a story huh?...I would have been in big trouble if I was unarmed no? Nobody would heard me yell for help and the cell phone is totally useless out there. Could've been bad for me. But I'm here and glad I can share this with all you. I have been playing what happened over and over in my head...and wife is already tired of me talking about over and over.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good job. Those feral dogs are NASTY. My sister had a pack bring down a deer in her front yard.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Glad you were prepared and everything worked out for the best. Just another reminder to all of us, be situationally aware at all times and prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Its pretty tough to hit a moving dog like that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry you had to put down two dogs. But it sounds like it was for the better, If you had not put them down some one would have died because of them.

Thank God you where armed for bear, and able to deal with them with out getting hurt.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Good job. I love dogs, but we have a feral problem out here too, and I wont hesitate to put one down. 'Another reminder to always carry, whether in the woods or the 'hoods.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sounds like you did good. Sorry about your shooting pad.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sounds like you did what you had to do. I'm glad your ok. Those dogs would have been a handful without a gun I'm glad you had it with you!

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Agreed Sixto and 1SG.

Anywhere, anytime, anyone.
Very good shooting.
I love dogs too, but I love me more. Besides you did them a favor as living feral is a very hard life wrought with dangers, disease and injuries daily. You put them out of misery.

I carry when I go in to woods for this exact reason. Nobody can hear you scream (!) and what good is 911 to anyone anyway, in the immediate, even if you are lucky enough to get a signal.
Per that do you carry in the woods thread from a week or two ago it's surprising to me how many folk who are of or from rural areas do not choose to carry when in such areas.

Frogbones I have a question.
Before you left the house what was it that had you grab the SKS rather than your Kimber or say a shotgun?

Only curious.

- Janq

·
Registered
908 Posts
Hey now, 911 is very good for the protection of your life. at least if you put a 1 in front of it. :) 230 grain JHP is my personal preference.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
nice shootin tex...a charging animal isnt necessarily and easy target with a rifle..way to stay cool and do what you needed to do...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Good job except for this part:
Got back to the house strapped my Kimber .45 on, grab a chain and shovel. I dragged the two off into a woody part made a shallow grave and buried the both of 'em. I would not have bothered. Buzzards and coyotes would have had meals therefrom.

oldogy

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Frogbones I have a question.
Before you left the house what was it that had you grab the SKS rather than your Kimber or say a shotgun?

Only curious.

- Janq
When walking in the woods, I almost never carry a long gun except during deer season. SA 44-40 or 44 mag is my choice, leaves my hands free to poke around and keep crap out of my face.

Glad things turned out well for you Frogbones, and yes you did the dogs and the property owners around there a favor by putting them down.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't disagree that shooting the first dog was necessary, and probably even the second. It DOES bother me though that you seem so callous about it.

How about a little respect for their souls?

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I don't disagree that shooting the first dog was necessary, and probably even the second. It DOES bother me though that you seem so callous about it.

I am sorry but were your being sarcastic when you posted this. I am a little confused by it? :confused:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SIXTO, suprisingly it wasn't difficult at all...I just lined up and shot. Both were pretty much running in strait lines when I shot. I'm not sure if I hit the Rott all three times. I didn't take time to look. The mutt was hit just left of the anus on the first shot.

Janq...SKS that's one of the reasons I got in the first place. I use Wolf HP. $7.97 for 20rnds.

Arko, when I didn't mean to come across like that....I did take the time to bury them.

LOL no, I didn't take pics.....why would I do that...of dead dogs? I can post pics of the rifle that helped save my butt though.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Yeah really. Respect for two dogs that wanted him for dinner? :twak:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Good shoot, and glad your ok. Sorry about your shoting mat.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts