Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in South Carolina this past weekend visiting family. For something to do, my bro-in-law and I took our eldest kids and went to a local gun show. I hadn’t been to one in quite a while.

I handled a few guns that I have been thinking about/researching for a possible future purchase. The 442/642 J-frames felt really nice in-hand, really nice. And I was surprised how small it really is. I’d seen them before, but had never been interested in handling one.

I’ve handled a LCR before, but tried it again. Compared to the J-frame, I liked the J-frame better as far as ‘in-hand feel’ goes. I’m sure firing them will tell a different story.

I also liked the way the LCP II feels in-hand (for its size) and the trigger is nice (vendor allowed me to dry-fire it).

I was also curious about the DB9…I know, I know, I’ve read lots about that gun and so on. It actually felt good in-hand too. I think the length of the grip from the front to the back strap help make it feel not so ‘cramped’…at least for me.

I also handled a 617. I was more curious about how wide the 7 shot cylinder was and the overall size of the revolver. I like the size of it, but probably wouldn’t want to carry it for the cylinder width. As a night stand gun would suit me better.

I handled others…G43, and a Shield…with my wife in mind (she was shopping with my sis-in-law and mom-in-law and our other kids). She has talked about liking a full grip, and the Shield with the 8 round mag would work nicely. The G43 with the mag extension might not be enough grip length for her, but she’ll be making the decision on whatever gun she likes.

Lots of other nice guns I could have handled, but was only interested in ‘realistic’ future considerations. For handguns, my G17 and G26 have me covered for most everything except for pocket/max concealment or whatever you want to call it. Wife next/first, than one more for myself.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I personally think most J-frames feel better in hand than the LCR. Could just be me though. It's pretty hard to go wrong with either of the SW snubs, they're just cool little guns and make those "I really don't want to have to strap on my gear today" days a lot easier to deal with.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i thought the LCR was a J frame am i wrong?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to see someone else can have fun at a gun show, I rarely go looking for anything in particular but there can always be that “just what I have been looking for” moment.
It was fun. Would have stayed longer, but the kids were getting restless.

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
i thought the LCR was a J frame am i wrong?
Yes. The LCR is the same size class as a J frame, but it isn't one. I think the term has taken on a measure of generic meaning such as Kleenex, but I don't think most shooters are ready to use the term indiscriminately. "Snubbie" or "compact revolver" would be a perfectly acceptable description for the LCR.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks guys i was going to call Ruger but it was after hours their time.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
J-Frame..... K-Frame...... NXZ-Frame......... just pick it up and if it feels good, get it.

Personally if I were in the market for ah Revolver, personally I would ONLY GET a Ruger.

There are plenty of flavors too choose from, so if you can't find one that fits your needs then my guess is that there isn't one out here that will :rolleyes:

Why would I only get a Ruger?

OK I CAN SEE IT COMING WITH WHAT I'm ABOUT TOO TYPE BELOW.... SO LET THE CRITICIZING BEGIN :ahhhhh:

Why would I only get a Ruger Revolver? Simply put; because they are the Rino-Tanks of the Revolver World.

They can take a licking and keep on shooting, as in within their give caliber, you can shoot any manufacturers factory ammo out of them and, if you do roll your own you can pour in the powder up to and maybe even ah little smidgen over the Recommended SAMMI Maximum Chamber Pressure and, 99.99999% of the time you will not have ah catastrophic failure. Now nothing is perfect but Ruger's Revolvers, I think, are damn near close and as close as you'll find out here in the Wheel Gun World.

And you can't say that about most and close too any S&W or any other manufacture's revolvers.

Also Ruger's are very reasonably priced too. You can't say that about ah lot of other revolvers out here, including most of the S&W's.

So come on and let the criticizing..... rain down on meeeee :hand5:

that IS my story and I'm stickin too it

But the best suggestion anyone can give a prospective firearms buyer is, that before you do buy anything, hookup with a range-buddy whom has what you are looking too buy, or go to a range that has one to rent and punch some paper downrange to see how it shoots and feels in your hand. Because you wouldn't buy a new pair of shoes without trying them on first.... or would you :confused:

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Going tomorrow. Looking for Colts and a Browning O/U.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Personally if I were in the market for a revolver, personally I would ONLY GET a Ruger.
I'm the same way. I don't really have anything against S&W, they just don't appeal to me.

I personally think the cylinder release location on Rugers is where they belong on a revolver and they are indeed little (and not so little) tanks.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm the same way. I don't really have anything against S&W, they just don't appeal to me. I personally think the cylinder release location on Rugers is where they belong on a revolver and they are indeed little (and not so little) tanks.
Nor do I have anything against S&W, they have a mighty fine line of semi-auto handguns. But on the subject of wheelies, I'd only get ah Ruger......

Yeah some of them might not so be so little like say within their Super Redhawk line, but some in the SP101 and especially the LCR's are very concealable.

I got a 22lr SA Bearcat and I think it's AH HOOT too shoot... that little 22 is ah tack-driver out to 25yds too 32yds. That's mighty fine for ah 4.20" barrel.

I'm pleased too to see that they reintroduced their 5.5" 44mag Redhawk. I've been eyeing one of those for a very long time, wish I would have gotten one back when they could be had for about $500. but since they came back into production they've shot-up into the $850./plus range.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Went today and found what I was looking for a Colt LW Commander 9mm. I have looked and looked in my area and was about to order on line. The guy gave me a heck of a deal. $800 plus tax plus $ 5 for back ground check. Walked out with it for $861. Nothing fancy, but a nice Colt. My herd just grew by one.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I enjoy "gun" shows, but detest those who claim to be gun shows but turn out to be flea markets with little firearms or firearms related items.

The one and only Tulsa Gun Show is coming up April 1 & 2. There is supposed to be over 4,200 tables on the 11 acres under roof.

WANENMACHER'S TULSA ARMS SHOW

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
We have about 8 a year here in Lakeland Fl. 2 by the Lakeland Gun Club which they are usually the biggest with a lot of individuals selling private guns. The others like today was mostly shops.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I was in South Carolina this past weekend visiting family.
Did you drink sweet tea???? Did you eat grits???? Yellow sauce BBQ????

I have just recently purged my collection of all polymer revolvers. They worked just fine - but they didn't do anything better than my J frame Smiths can do and frankly they just aren't as "nice" IMO.

If I didn't already have an all steel Taurus 327 magnum snubby I'd take a look at the Ruger LCR version just b/c I like the caliber but no more poly revos for me as a rule of thumb. I'm actually down to 2 poly pistols as well...it wasn't a conscious purge regarding the semis - just replacing the least favorites of my "collection" with something better...and the plastic keeps getting voted off the island.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you drink sweet tea???? Did you eat grits???? Yellow sauce BBQ????
Had some sweet tea, but I can get that here in MO. Didn't have any grits, I've never been a fan of grits even when we lived in SW AR (been here in SW MO almost 2 years). No yellow sauce BBQ, never have heard about that type of BBQ.

I have just recently purged my collection of all polymer revolvers. They worked just fine - but they didn't do anything better than my J frame Smiths can do and frankly they just aren't as "nice" IMO.

If I didn't already have an all steel Taurus 327 magnum snubby I'd take a look at the Ruger LCR version just b/c I like the caliber but no more poly revos for me as a rule of thumb. I'm actually down to 2 poly pistols as well...it wasn't a conscious purge regarding the semis - just replacing the least favorites of my "collection" with something better...and the plastic keeps getting voted off the island.
I do like the 'looks' of a J-frame over a LCR, but it's not important to me. What my wife ends up liking (pistol or revolver) will determine what I get after. If it's a revolver she likes and if it's the LCR she likes over the J-frame...the LCR it will be.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts