Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As appropriate, my 1961 7.65mm blued PPK accompanied my family to the theater tonight, along with 15 rounds of Fiocchi FMJ.

Carrying anything else would have been really bad form.

The movie is OK. Not the best, not the worst.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the franchise moving forward.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
71gr fmj? Fiocchi tends to load to the higher end of spec. Not going to say that it would be my first choice, but I wouldn't want to take one in the eye from it.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
380 FMJ as preferred carry ... followed by ...
I wouldn't want to take one in the eye from it

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Having read all the Bond books by Fleming before seeing any of the Bond films, I have always been disappointed in the movies. But they could not make a Bond film true to the books without getting cancelled by the PC culture. The Bond of the books was a more interesting and less heroic character. He was racist, misogynistic, hedonistic, sadistic, an aristocratic snob and a functional alcoholic. His work for MI-6 was the only thing he took seriously in life. The first few films hinted at that, but it was not long before the producers made it all about technology, fight scenes and car chases.

·
Registered
11,983 Posts
I took a James Bond paperback with me to school when I was in 6th grade and the book was taken away from me by a teacher. I was told it was not appropriate reading material for a young man my age.

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
The Bond of the books was a more interesting and less heroic character. He was racist, misogynistic, hedonistic, sadistic, an aristocratic snob and a functional alcoholic.
So what's the problem? Sounds like my kind of guy.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The franchise is all but dead already. Make a woman 007. Remember the series as written by Ian Fleming is about the central character James Bond. It’s not “007”. Ms. Broccoli is killing the golden goose. Better to just let it stop right now, at a movie too far.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The franchise is all but dead already. Make a woman 007. Remember the series as written by Ian Fleming is about the central character James Bond. It’s not “007”. Ms. Broccoli is killing the golden goose. Better to just let it stop right now, at a movie too far.
as far as i am concerned, they have not produced an outstanding bond film since Connery left....
i still want to give the ar7 another try..one of my favorite bond guns.....i have given up on the ar7 several times....but i can not give up on the concept.....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Having read all the Bond books by Fleming before seeing any of the Bond films, I have always been disappointed in the movies.
Honestly, this holds true for most movies based on books. The difference in storytelling methods makes that a simple reality. I will admit some movies do the book justice, but the book was still better for me.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sean Connery is definitely the real James Bond. Daniel Craig was not bad, though.
I think the James Bond franchise is done.
BTW, what is the issue with AR-7? I’ve heard bad reviews on it a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I think the next series of Bond Films will have a Jane Bond, 007. After all, the franchise wants to appear Woke. Or the next James Bond 007 will be 007W for Woke. He won't womanizer, he'll ask her for her pronouns instead.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Honestly, this holds true for most movies based on books. The difference in storytelling methods makes that a simple reality. I will admit some movies do the book justice, but the book was still better for me.
I hear what you're saying, but my thought is that with the Bond series, the filmmakers just went off in a whole different direction with the character. They turned him from an anti-hero into a glamorous hero, with maybe some quirks. The Bond of the books is someone you are not sure whether to love or hate, and definitely not someone you'd like to emulate. That is more than a difference in storytelling methods.

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
Sometimes, somewhere, some people don't grasp movies that are based upon a novel.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I will say the TV series 'Lonesome Dove' did a pretty good job with McMurtry's novel ... a book I had a hard time putting down and agonized over it as I came to the conclusion. I never wanted it to end.

I, too, have read all the Fleming books about James Bond and I think Sean Connery did the best job of emulating the character Ian Fleming had in mind. I was always so impressed by the confident 'presence' Connery projected at such as early age in life. I think he was in his late 20s when he began the role (time for some research on my part).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sean Connery is definitely the real James Bond. Daniel Craig was not bad, though.
I think the James Bond franchise is done.
BTW, what is the issue with AR-7? I’ve heard bad reviews on it a lot.
two charter arms AR7's at different periods......jam-o-matics.....reliability was never there. Steel liner barrel in aluminum shroud.

one Survival Arms ar7.......the receiver cracked. This model had a steel barrel.....no light weight shroud. It put too much pressure on the threads/receiver. One bump and had a stress fracture. reliability was also sporadic.

one Henry survival rifle AR7....early production so i ended up a beta tester.....steel liner barrel with polymer shroud........heaviest trigger of the whole tribe as it was a huge hinderance to any sort of accurate field work. ...........and a very problamatic front sight with a too large of a dove tail cut.....a dovetail cut into a polymer shroud for a polymer front sight...did not offer sufficient friction (for my standards) for the front sight to stay in place. ...you could push the front sight by finger pressure. Just storing the gun in the stock could possibly move the sight out of alignment. But the Henry was absolutely the most reliable of all that i have tried......i believe that their magazines were superior in design and construction.
I actually called and spoke with Mr. Imperato.....we discussed the issue and he also sent me free propaganda merchandise and some additional free replacement sights to try out. He was a pleasure to deal with and i have no problems with buying Henry products again. But my modification attempts failed on the front sight to increase friction to my standards....so i resorted to glue. That rifle was eventually traded off due to that terrible trigger.

I have been wanting to give Henry another chance......as Q would say, they have reportedly made some improvements......

like a moth to a flame.....i keep getting drawn back to this design for its light weight along with its take-down and self-contained stock offering reduced storage space and protection from elements...mostly dust and dirt as far as i am concerned.....it would be another truck gun, trunk gun,.....or even a suitcase gun should i get the notion.

ar7....plenty of novelty and niche there......there are more practical guns with better reps, more accurate guns, better trigger, and higher quality guns............but they are not the AR7 with its unique concept, features, and weight.....not to mention sniper capabilities and shooting down helicopters the way 007 does with it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
380 FMJ as preferred carry ... followed by ...
I wouldn't want to take one in the eye from it

Thank goodness!

Though you might want to brush-up on reading comprehension and theme recognition.

• Haha
Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
209 Posts
A movie too far! Nice Connery reference.

Ok, Connery will always be Bond. Craig was decent his first couple of movies. I also liked Lazenby and Dalton.

Having read all the Fleming books in Jr High, those actors seemed to show the viscous side of Bond the best.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Amen! Making a woman “007” is like replacing Santa with Mrs. Santa - just no!

As smart as Victoria’s Secret getting a gay flat chested homely woman to sell their products. Look at Playboy, um, no no don’t! They have a man dressed like a woman? In real life I’ve never met a man that likes women, esp curvy women that also liked to see a guy in tights and a bunny tail - gross!
Can’t fix that kind of stupid, and these folks did it to themselves.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts