Defensive Carry banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Joesoph, from Arizona. Glad to have you aboard. I've used the gun in plastic bags (couple of grocery bags work fine) to "seat" a gun to it's holster a few times with success. Give it at least a couple of days, just stuck in deep. If the holster is made for the gun properly, it should fine tune it for a good fit.
THANKS !

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
A good custom made holster will fit your pistol like a glove.
I buy most from Tucker Gunleather and all have been great fitting.
One time I got one for a full size 1911 and try as I might it was just way too tight.
Worked it for about a week. Contacted Rob and he asked me to send it back and verified the gun type.
Got it back about a week later and it fit perfect.
Buy from a reputable maker like Tucker or Nelson and you will not have to bag anything or drown your holster.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I make my own leather holsters.
This one has been worn almost daily for 5 years.
The Beretta still "clicks" in. Still retains if shaken upside down.
I did change the loops from sewn to snaps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
This question may be off topic for this discussion, but seems like it might be ok?

ms gamboolgal and I walk for exercise several miles in the humidity and sometimes rain of East Texas and my leather holsters can be soaked in sweat. Is oiling the leather needed ?

We do have Kydex holsters but prefer Leather just because..... traditional and all that.....

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

gamboolman....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Many leather holsters (including custom made ones) need to be broken in to provide a nice draw.

Years ago, Gary Brommeland told me to use waxed paper to break in the first (of many) holsters he made for me.

Wrap the gun in 2-3 layers of waxed paper, waxed side out, and stuff the wrapped gun into the holster. Leave it overnight, then check it, drawing and reholstering a few times before removing the waxed paper. If it doesn’t suit you yet; do it for another day or so, until the draw is perfect for you. So far; this is the best holster break-in method that I’ve run across.

Gary said DO NOT use holster oil on a leather holster, as over time the leather will get soft.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This question may be off topic for this discussion, but seems like it might be ok?

ms gamboolgal and I walk for exercise several miles in the humidity and sometimes rain of East Texas and my leather holsters can be soaked in sweat. Is oiling the leather needed ?

We do have Kydex holsters but prefer Leather just because..... traditional and all that.....

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

gamboolman....
Gary Brommeland told me years ago of two products that were OK to use on leather holsters; neither of which I can remember right now.

If you’ll visit his website, I’m sure you’ll be able to find the info.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts