(2) DoubleTap 185+p
(3) DoubleTap 200+p
(4) Corbon DPX 185+p
(5) Speer Gold Dot 230
(6) Corbon 230+p

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I'm a fan of the Remington Golden Saber actually. Out of the stash, it's what I carry most.

·
Registered
97 Posts
American made: "Pow'RBall .45 Auto+P165gr.

However, I have begun to think that you have to match the ammo with the gun. There must be a source, somewhere, of most handguns that cross references to the optimum SD & practice ammo. Does any one know where this info. might be located?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'm not picky...anything in 230gr+P....My current stash is Federal HST's

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
.45ACP

Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230gr JHP +P (RA45TP)
Federal Tactical 230gr JHP (LE45T1)
Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal HST 230gr JHP (P45HST2)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP (23966)

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
(1) Federal HST-230+p
(2) DoubleTap 185+p
(3) DoubleTap 200+p
(4) Corbon DPX 185+p
(5) Speer Gold Dot 230
(6) Corbon 230+p

Which ones have you shot through your pistol to confirm it likes it?

If you're going to try one to see if it works in your pistol, I'd start with the HST, then the Cor-Bon 230, then Gold Dot, and finally DPX. Double Tap ammo has been shown not to live up to what it claims on it's website, which makes me a bit dubious about their product across the board...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Buffalo Bore +P Speer Gold Dots.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
As to what I carry most of the time, Federal HST 230gr, and PMC 230gr.
Ive tried a few others, and only one +P type. I dont actually like +P ammo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
after trying out most of the popular loads, i ended up with remington's golden saber as what i carry in my G36. No detailed reason why just what i felt when i shot a few rounds. I'm sure most the defense rounds out there do the job right, just gotta find what feels right and works best in your gun

·
Registered
227 Posts
Remington Golden Sabre 230gr (+P and standard load)
Federal HST 230gr
Remington Golden Sabre 185gr (+P and standard load)
Federal Hydra-Shock 230gr

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Premium Member
20,035 Posts
(1) Federal HST-230+p
(2) DoubleTap 185+p
(3) DoubleTap 200+p
(4) Corbon DPX 185+p
(5) Speer Gold Dot 230
(6) Corbon 230+p
All of those are worthy, quite frankly, but I carry the same off duty as on duty, Speer Gold Dot....

·
Registered
203 Posts
(1) Corbon DPX 185+p
(2) Speer Gold Dot 230
Use the corbon in the winter, better penatration for extra clothing. Fed HST is also good. :hand10: Don't care for Double Tap. :hand1:

·
Premium Member
7,133 Posts
Any of these that shoot reliably for you:
(1) Federal HST-230+p
(2) DoubleTap 185+p
(3) DoubleTap 200+p
(4) Corbon DPX 185+p
(5) Speer Gold Dot 230
(6) Corbon 230+p

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Federal HST mostly, I also have a few TAP rounds.
Both seem to work well enough during practice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use Gold Dot 230g. Also have some 230g Hydra Shocks, but Gold Dot's are my first choice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use both the Fed HST 230gr +P's and the Speer GD in both my G21SF and my G30SF. The plus P's don't feel like it out of my Glocks, as the recoil is just softer in them, than it was in my 1911's. Both are good solid rounds and are very accurate. Like others have mentioned by some of each, try them in "your gun" to see how they shoot for you. Good luck and always stay safe.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I kind of use whatever standard pressure 230gr premium JHP we have in stock. I don't really get too picky. Right now I have Ranger SXT in my primary 1911. I switched out for some Gold Saber just to try out the Ranger. I have boxes of 230gr Hydra Shok and Starfire in abundance and I have a lot of it in moon clips for various 1917 and model 25 revolvers. I don't worry too much about the particulars brand-wise. I think the Starfire was an under-appreciated load, always expanded with a flat nose and sharp edges.

Ram Rod, I've fired those IQ bullets into wet newspaper, did the most damage of any non magnum round we ever tested. It blasted steaming bits of pulverized newsprint all over us. Just can't quite get comfortable carrying them though.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I like Hornady 185gr and Winchester PDX1. The Winchester has nice cuts for expansion but feed reliablly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i use winchester 230g JHPs from wal mart, because where i live its the only place i can get ammo without driving for an hour.

but personally, i don't get too caught up in all of the different variations, in my mind, if you get hit with a .45 then plain and simple, its going to hurt:hand10:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts