Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering going for my permit and really appreciate all the great information on this forum. You guys and gals are really great! Here in NM it is my understanding that I will not be able to carry anywhere that serves or sells alcohol. My understanding is that this includes, supermarkets and restaurants with alcohol on premises. What do you all do with your firearm when you can't carry into a location? Leave it at home? In the car? Also, how often do you find having to leave your firearm behind?
:image035:

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
As QKShooter will confirm - fortunately here in PA this is a rare problem. Schools and court houses being the major no-no's as well as Fed property.

I do tho think pre-planning is essential so as to know what you will do in advance. Car stashing is OK if car secure and a secure in-car container is available. Problem with leaving piece at home is it leaves you unarmed for probably much longer than desirable.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Get your car equipped for it and leave your piece there. Also minimize your trips to places where it is illegal to arm yourself. A little foresight will go a long way, and after a while you will form good new habits.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I leave it in my center console. It has a tray that lifts out and the remaining compartment is big enough to hold my full size Para. I leave my holster on and just take the gun out. Too much fussing around if I take the holster off too.

Generally, I avoid places I can't carry. The only ones that really affect me are school, bars and churches. The latter two affecting me on deliveries (pizza jockey). Two of my managers at work know I carry and when there is a delivery to a no carry place, they try and route the drivers so I don't have to go there and mess around with disarming, although I have Fox 5.3 and two knives on me at all times too, I just prefer to have a firearm.

I carry all the time. If I am dressed my gun is on. If where I am is legal to carry, my gun is on. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am armed right now as I type this.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
I'm not from NM, but I have read the regulations since they started honoring Texas permits last fall, and I do travel into NM.
You are correct, you can't CCW into any place that sells alcohol...period. Not even wally world. I hear that they are looking at tweaking their laws to help some of these situation.

definitely have to plan ahead, and I'm purchasing 4 in-car safes for me and my wife. That way we have one in each car for each of us to lock our pistols in just in case. They get attached around the seat frames of the car so they're not as easy to steal. Better than just leaving under the seat.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
You will learn to plan things a little better. You will pay attention to posted businesses and prohibited places more. Get a car gun safe/locker so you can secure your gun should you need to leave it behind. Carrying is a lifestyle if you plan to do it daily.

Best

·
Registered
230 Posts
I rigged a security system in the center console of my truck.I Took out one of the bolts that hold the console to the floor.And replaced it with a eyebolt.It was difficult to screw in because of the width,which is what I wanted.Then I slid a weapon lock cable thru the magwell and slide. Now I can lock the pistol in the console. It is not super secure,but the B/G is not gonna be able grab and run with my pistol. I would LOVE to have a custom safe. However they cost the same price as another new firearm.

·
Registered
230 Posts
.45forme said:
I rigged a security system in the center console of my truck.I Took out one of the bolts that hold the console to the floor.And replaced it with a eyebolt.It was difficult to screw in because of the width,which is what I wanted.Then I slid a weapon lock cable thru the magwell and slide. Now I can lock the pistol in the console. It is not super secure,but the B/G is not gonna be able grab and run with my pistol. I would LOVE to have a custom safe. However they cost the same price as another new firearm.There is a site that has custom vaults for vehicals.WWW.hand-gun-safes.com

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
As most have said i do not go where I cannot carry, as to such places as a grocery store, check closely most states such as were I live MI must serve open liquor, not just sell sealed bottles, and here there is a 51% rule their sales must total 51% in booz before it is a CEZ. If not there you may wish to politically active and get it changed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
What a silly law, lets hope they get it fixed sometime soon.

Here in NH the only place the state won't let you carry is courts, everything else is legal unless fed law says no.

·
Registered
45 Posts
box with cable

four seasnon firearms in Woburn Mass. has a lockable box with
a cable on it. Check the web site under safes etc. the item
is called "Secure it handgun storage safe" looks as if it would
fit a 1911 and a spare mag.

JimB

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
looks very simliar to the one I posted a link to above, don't know if they're the same or not, both look to be good options

·
Registered
127 Posts
msg usa said:
I would hope to continue to be the very last person in a crowd that you would ever expect to be armed to the hilt.
Well, if you look anything like your avatar, I think you're safe - most people probably flinch, gag and turn away as soon as they see you :rofl:

LibertyGal

·
Registered
282 Posts
Check your laws about the "understandings", here in Fl you can not carry anywhere that is designated for the Consumption of alcohol. Most everywhere sells it. If I couldnt carry in a place that sells I couldnt even get a soda from the corner stop and rob.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.