Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has shown interest my guns. I want to teach her to shoot but at what age should it be started? She is 8 and I was thinking about getting her a bb gun of she isn't too young. If she is old enough should I get a rifle style or pistol style bb gun? Whatever I get will stay in my safe when not in use and she would not be allowed to use it without either myself or my wife present. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I start my kids on BB guns when they're about 5-6 years old. At 8 years old they shoot a .22 rifle, followed soon after by shooting a .22 pistol. From the beginning I'm constantly reinforcing safety rules and only allow them to use the guns under my direct supervision. I'm also teaching them a lot about how the guns work and proper care (cleaning, etc.).

·
Registered
875 Posts
It really depends on the child. I don't think that 8 y.o is too young for either a BB gun or a .22. Depends on how she responds to the noise. If she has been to the range with you and does not have any issues with the noise, I would take her right to a .22.

A lot of people think that you should start them out with a single shot bolt action, something like the Cricket. Personally, I do not see any problems with starting them out with a semi-auto, like the 10/22. The one piece of advice I would give there is to start them out with only one round in the magazine. This, for all practical purposes, makes it a single shot that she can grow into.

My daughter is 13 y.o and although she has shown some interest in what I have, she says that she is is not really interested in going to the range and learning to shoot yet. While I would love to take her out and teach her, that last thing I want to do is to sour her on the idea by pushing her. I have already told her that when she is ready to try it, if she enjoys it and wants to continue, I would build her a custom 10/22 clone in whatever color she wants. She is excited about that idea, but is still not ready to go to the range with me - for now, I wait and hope that she will someday tell me that she would like to go with me to the range.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My kids had bb guns and were shooting 22 at 5 years old. It does depend on the kid. There are some that their mental age is higher than others. If you feel she is mature enough then let her shoot. I try to get kids shooting as young as possible but they do have to be mature enough to understand that when they shoot something it dies and there is no bringing it back.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
At 8 I was deer hunting with my dad but I was relegated to a bb gun. At 12 it was a .22. Shotguns came as I turned of age to hunt birds. My first shotgun was a single shot 16 gauge. On my first hunt I missed the pheasant with my first shot and as my dad downed the bird I complained that with another shot I'd have nailed it. He smiled and said, "Don't miss it with your first shot".

One of life's great lessons!:twak:

·
Registered
244 Posts
My uncle got me my life membership in the NRA on July 16, 1956. Guess I was born a gun guy! Turned 60 last month. Still learn something new about this hobby every day.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
My dad taught safety and don't touch without him being present. He made it clear, real clear!

My older brother bless his heart, snookered me into shooting a single shot 12 ga when I was around ten. I think the bruise lasted about a week.

·
Registered
289 Posts
First firearm I shot was in Cub Scouts. A 22 rifle. Can't remember what kind. I think I was around 8. My kids all learned at about that same age.

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
In most states it is up to you and how ok the kid is ..I would start with BB guns then a single shot 22lr youth gun when you think she can saftly handle it

·
Registered
779 Posts
2 years of BB guns just to be sure he had the maturity to go to the next step and follow rules laid down. Then his first .22 a Cricket Youth Rifle at 9 years old, and shooting my 10/22 at 10.

Hear is a tip. You want to make shooting FUN for kids, because you are up against some very stiff competition from TV, video games, Pokémon Go, and whatever. Shooting holes in paper will become boring real fast for many, and the first time they say "I want to stay home today" you are losing the battle.

The cure for that was taking him plinking and having him find things to destroy. In this case a robotic Hallmark Valentine stuffed dog, - a truly horrid thing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When I was 7 I was given a pump action Daisy BB gun for Christmas, unasked for. Before I could use it I had to read the manual that came with it and answer questions about it. I had to demonstrate safe gun handling procedures an explain why they were safe. Then I could finally go shoot it under supervision. The procedures and rules I learned way back then stick with me today.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I not a fan of in accurate firearms or BB guns in general .

I started with .22lrs at 6 years of age and started hunting at an early age . I started my girls at 6 years of age and a grandson at 7 with the same .22lr colt huntsman and rem 511P I learned with . I bought my girls there own .22lrs , a marlin and savage bolt rifle and oldest grandson a Savage GY that he can grow with. Typical Savage MKII with shorter stock .

One grandson started shooting at 7 and was shooting a 9mm at 9 with better skill sets than many people you see at a range .

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I think it depends a lot on individual maturity and adult guidance.

But general loose guidelines:

Age 7 for a BB gun.

Age 9 for a 22 rifle.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Family and friends of family started me on a .22 Marlin 39A that we still have in the family in 1955 . Started my own 4 children on the same rifle . Growing up , Sunday was visiting day and whose ever porch you was visitin on ; the Sunday pastime was rifle shooting . My rite of passage was in 1957 at Thanksgiving (hog butchering day) when my Daddy allowed that I was good enough to do the hog killin . Shot 9 butcher hogs that day and never squealed a one of them . My Daddy was proud .....................
>Reared 3 girls and a boy the same way . They are all successful professionals in their own right and still outdoors persons . Between them they've presented me with 7 grandchildren . 15 to 1 1/2 . 6 of them are shooters already . That least one needs a few more ice cream seasons before he takes up a gun .

·
Registered
339 Posts
If I were the OP, I'd start my daughter out on a BB rifle ASAP. Work up to a .22 after about a year or so. I agree with BlackJack that a single-shot bolt action (SSBA) isn't really necessary - the only evidence I've seen that an SSBA is "better" is purely anecdotal. A Ruger 10/22 is a fine choice for a first .22 - I'd only let her load the magazine half full the first few months.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
My own experience was with a BB gun around the age of 8 or nine and a .22 at around 11. That was a long long time ago...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts