Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about this for a while and figure i would ask y'all.

first off, here's my theory. In the case you have to use your CCW in a deadly manner to defend yourself, there is a chance you may have to face a jury after-wards. While in court the prosecutor will no doubt try to throw the "planning on killing the 'victim', because he was carrying a gun and had .xxx of a caliber on him"

Maybe I'm wrong but to me i can see that happening. I was thinking as well that the most sure fire way of defending yourself against this statement would be either 1. carry a .22 or BB gun, OR 2. carry the EXACT load that LEO's are required to carry. This means caliber, brand, load ect. That way you can state that you are carying the EXACT load a LEO carries and it is for the same purposes as a LEO (self defence/personal protection). Cause in my 'theory' if you are carrying a .50, .44 mag, .357 mag... then it could be turned to look like excessive or as a planned thing of carrying a large gun to ensure maximum damage when used on someone, hense being excessive and turning you into the BG rather than the victim.

like i said, i may just be over-analyzing this and it not make any difference, but just for $#!+$ and giggles humor me :hand10:

SO... i would like to hear your thoughts on that, and also post up what local LEO's cary if you know.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I thought LEO and military always
carried FMJ type ammo? LEO around
here carry .40 cal. A game warden I know
carries .357 sig not sure if the LEO carry hollowpoints
or what brand. Unless you shoot excessive rounds, have
illegal ammo or some sawed off shotgun dont think it would
matter in court but guess ya never know

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Most LE use Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nobody who's serious about armed self-defense would carry a .22 or BB gun. They don't even make for a decent BUG.

The most popular police caliber is currently the .40 S&W, which is a worthy choice for a self-defense cartridge, though certainly not the best.

You can't go wrong with the .45 ACP, since it's a widely accepted cartridge in both law enforcement and the military, and is not generally viewed as "overkill".

I'll probably get shouted down by the .357 Magnum crowd, but if I decided to carry a revolver, I believe I would actually choose the .44 Special. Plenty of power and accuracy, plus easier to handle than the .357.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
a lot of LEO agency's bid on ammo. The last several years our Sheriff's dept. and the State Highway Patrol are shooting .40 cal Federal Hydrashok.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Most LE use Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot.
i believe so too and also mostly .40cal and hollow point to guard against over penetration and ricochet:bier:.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was thinking about starting a thread like this, just out of curiosity of what law enforcement carries

LRPD, carry .40 Remington golden saber. Asked one the other day

·
Registered
249 Posts
Our department uses Remington Golden Saber Bonded in either .40 S&W or 230 grain .45 ACP. Sold only to LE Agencies.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Although a interesting thread. I would focus more on a clean shoot, than what comes after.

Why you have to use deadly force. I think , is more important than what you use.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
All the agencies around here use whatever they can get on a low bid. It might be Ranger on one budget cycle, then Gold dot on another, Hydra Shok next time.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I thought LEO and military always
carried FMJ type ammo?
LEO around
here carry .40 cal. A game warden I know
carries .357 sig not sure if the LEO carry hollowpoints
or what brand. Unless you shoot excessive rounds, have
illegal ammo or some sawed off shotgun dont think it would
matter in court but guess ya never know
The military and law enforcement are two different things.

In combat, it is FMJ-only. I don't know if that applies to the various Military Police units in the US, though.

As for LE, most departments do NOT carry FMJ. I haven't come across one that does in at least the last 20 years, but since NJ bans hollow points, for its civilians, they might.

The Connecticut State Police carry 155 gr HydraShoks in .40S&W.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Detroit PD carried FMJ until recently.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I have been thinking about this for a while and figure i would ask y'all.

first off, here's my theory. In the case you have to use your CCW in a deadly manner to defend yourself, there is a chance you may have to face a jury after-wards. While in court the prosecutor will no doubt try to throw the "planning on killing the 'victim', because he was carrying a gun and had .xxx of a caliber on him"

Maybe I'm wrong but to me i can see that happening. I was thinking as well that the most sure fire way of defending yourself against this statement would be either 1. carry a .22 or BB gun, OR 2. carry the EXACT load that LEO's are required to carry. This means caliber, brand, load ect. That way you can state that you are carying the EXACT load a LEO carries and it is for the same purposes as a LEO (self defence/personal protection). Cause in my 'theory' if you are carrying a .50, .44 mag, .357 mag... then it could be turned to look like excessive or as a planned thing of carrying a large gun to ensure maximum damage when used on someone, hense being excessive and turning you into the BG rather than the victim.

like i said, i may just be over-analyzing this and it not make any difference, but just for $#!+$ and giggles humor me :hand10:

SO... i would like to hear your thoughts on that, and also post up what local LEO's cary if you know.

Massad Ayoob recommends a similar thing; that is, find out what type of ammo (HST, Gold Dot, etc) and use that type; not necessarily the same caliber. I like the idea, postulating that whatever they use works well in your carry pistol...if, for some reason your pistol doesn't like it (inaccurate, reliability issues) you probably want to find a different ammo..

My only problems with your idea are: what if your local PD/SO, whatever uses a Glock 21 in .45, and you have small hands? Or, what if they use Sigs, and the price is more that you can spend on a weapon?

While I can see where you're coming from on this, I'd rather choose my carry weapon/ammo for what works best for me, and worry about any hypothetical legal aspects of a (highly improbable) self-defense shooting if they happen.

And local PD carries Berettas; either 92's or 96's (betting on 96D). Not sure on ammo.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Our department uses Remington Golden Saber Bonded in either .40 S&W or 230 grain .45 ACP. Sold only to LE Agencies.
No, these are not sold only to LEOs. If you want some you can get some!

Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 45 ACP Remington Golden Saber 230gr. Bonded HP Ammo [gsb45apb] - $39.95

I have found Ranger XT and Speer Gold Dots work best for me. While I haven't had any cycling problems with any defensive ammo in my primary carry guns (Springfield EMP, HK USP 45c, or my Sig 226), the Rangers and Speer rounds appear to be the most accurate. YMMV

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
My only problems with your idea are: what if your local PD/SO, whatever uses a Glock 21 in .45, and you have small hands? Or, what if they use Sigs, and the price is more that you can spend on a weapon?
Same brand or type of ammo; not necessarily in the same caliber or gun.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There's a site somewhere on the www that lists the sidearm models and ammo specs that many agencies use. I couldn't find it in my bookmarks or hard drive, but I'm sure you can find it if you spend 5 minutes trying different keywords.

N.B. that it may be a few years old, as agencies are always changing their loadouts.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If you know any LEOs locally just ask them, and explain that you were interested in carrying the same ammo they are issued for liability reasons. Thats what I do, that way no enthusiastic DA can try and use the deadly ammunition routine if I were ever to go to trial.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts