Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question about an ankle holster for a 640:

I have tried two different ankle holsters, a cheapie nylon one off e-bay and an Uncle Mikes Sidekick.

On both, there is no way for a thumbreak or top retention strap to really work since there is no hammer exposed and the top surface is smooth. Without some form of securing the 640 in the holster, I am not too confident in how long it would be before it worked it's way out.... and worked me into an ambarrassing situation.

Any ideas ? All advice will be appreciated !

·
Registered
195 Posts
Get a quality ankle holster.

I just got an Alessi ankle holster the mail for my J-frame. This thing is awesome. It is very comfortable. There is not a retention strap but it holds the gun snug. No need for a strap. There is a long wait for Alessi holsters but it is worth it. You could also try Lightning Arms Sports and see if Craig and Audrey have one in stock for your 640. They are very good to deal with.

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I just got that DeSantis holster from ExSoldier in yesterday's mail. Haven't had time to play with it yet but I'm thinking if I can reverse the retention strap so that it runs between the front strap and trigger guard (middle finger break instead of thumb) it'll work better for my 642 Centennial. Might be an idea for your 640 too.

Besides, I just bought a stitching awl and I need to play with it. ;-P
Jack

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have a Galco Glove for my Glock 27 and love it. I had an uncle mikes before (awful). I have heard awesome things about Alessi's Ankle rigs - save the money and go for it!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the information.I found a like new Alessi ankle holster for the 640 and other J-frames on e-bay, bid on it and won. Owner has already e-mailed me, I should have it Thursday or Friday.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Nice score Dave! Those things are pricey new.

I just re-routed the retention strap on the DeSantis I got from ExSoldier to work with my 642. All I had to do was angle the outer strap over the trigger guard and stitch on a second piece of velcro. Seems to work well and it's still got the original attachment points if I decide to try it with something like a Mustang or Baby Glock later on.
Might try that with your Uncle Mike's just to have a backup to the Alessi (or something where you don't care if it gets dirty or wet).

BTW, those 640s are nice too!
Jack

·
Registered
99 Posts
Future reference most comfortable and strapless retention
The Renegade out of Phoenix Az.
No link but Dillon carried it at one time.
over 15 years of personal use with this rig.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts