Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a recent thread about how far back you would feel comfortable going in gun technology and still feel comfortable. This is sort of a practical version of that. A couple of caveats: This is a hypothetical, meaning not real, just for discussion. We don't need to know your actual personal plans. Also, hypotheticals have to be taken at face value for the discussion to be meaningful. So yes, if ARs are banned, you might bury them or lose them in a boating accident, we get it. Also, we know that some people might say they will shoot it out with the confiscators or start the boo-ga-loo, but let's put all that aside. The idea here is that legislation happens and you decide that at least for public consumption you need to follow the law. This hypothetical follows what is being proposed now in some states and at the federal level. I am looking for practical advice here.

So, the hypothetical is: Legislation gets passed that applies everywhere. It includes:
  • An assault weapons ban: No ARs, AKs or anything even vaguely military like that. No flash hiders, no pistol grips, no folding stocks, etc. 10 round mag limit on a semi auto.
  • Handguns are limited to 10 rounds
  • Semi-auto shotguns are limited to 7 rounds
  • "Ghost guns" (80% lowers) of any kind are banned
  • No grandfathering. There is a grace period, then everyone has to be on board. You get caught, you wind up a felon in prison and prohibited from owning any guns for life. If you have to use a gun for SD, it will need to be a legal one or you will get arrested.
So, what are the good fallbacks? All your choices need to commonly used gun models, not something super-exotic.
  • What kind of rifles would you want to have for SD and why?
  • What kind of handguns would you carry for SD and why?
  • What kind of shotguns would you have for SD and why?
  • How different is any of that from what you have now?

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
For a rifle it would be my 1903 Springfield and lots of clips, with practice you would be amazed how fast a bolt action can be.

As far as a hand gun I will stick with my 1911s

For a shotgun an 870 with a mag extension will be hard to beat.

No different as I already have them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
For rifle, I'd stick with the Mini-14. If that is included in the ban, there's always the Garand. I have lots of clips for it, and you can still buy them.
For shotgun, there's the model 1897 riot gun, with the 870 as backup.

For pistol, I'd stick with the 1911's, plus the 365's and the 320, which came with 10 rounders. Oh, and the Glock 30sf.

In reality, most of what I have wouldn't be forbidden by the ban.

·
Registered
34,640 Posts
A Brown Bess . . . You know, back before the infringement days.

·
Registered
792 Posts
SKS, Bolt Action Rifles, Glock 17 or 22 w/10 rd mags, revolvers, 12 gauge pump. In stock now. Thanks for a gun thread.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,822 Posts
I would not have a problem with one of my lever-action rifles, one of my revolvers or one of my 1911s, and my Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump-action shotgun. My Ruger M-77 .338 WinMag bolt-action rifle could be pressed into service in a home-defense scenario.

I learned to shoot a revolver around 1952 and a a lever-action Winchester '94 rifle around 1956. The Navy introduced me to 1911s in 1963. I was on a Navy Trap & Skeet team in the late-1960s.

I carry either a government model 1911 or a revolver with reloads about 99% of the time. The only time I carry a double-stack polymer handgun is if I am going to Portland. If higher capacity guns were not available, I would just carry two revolvers or two 1911s in Portland.

·
Registered
54 Posts
With what I already have on hand ... Ruger Scout Rifle in .308, Mossberg 500 and S&W .357 revolver and/or 1911. I might want to swap the rifle for a lever action though, I'd have to think about it.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Handgun: Ruger® LCP 380 Auto, S&W® M&P® BODYGUARD 38 Special
Rifle: Marlin® Mdl 336C in 30/30 Winchester®
Shotgun: Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga Pump Combo w/extra barrel

·
Super Moderator
23,363 Posts
Benelli M1 12 GA M&P;
The Winchester 94 30-30 I just sold ( :LOL: );
Revolvers (I EDC an LCR);
Glocks (several); and
Other assorted revolvers and rifles.

All of the above "qualify" and most are on duty now, as I type. I'd need some 10 round Glock magazines for my G17, but otherwise I think I am in decent shape.

I'd feel pretty good about that. I'd probably add a lever gun with a 4X scope. I have a 30.06 Bolt 4X-8X for social distancing.

It is basically what I have now but for a few odds and ends of no specific mention. :unsure: I guess I'd lose those in one of the many lakes up here in the "Lakes Region." probably all of my standard capacity mags too.

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Life finds a way .. Take it futher for you ..What about a full semi auto ban ....

I do see a lot of stuff like the PAR 3 and the Rem rifles make a come back ie pump action etc rifle will see more popularaty ..They make pump action AK and AR ..They also make a number of bolt action mini 14 etc .

As to your question ..Surplus c&r are often exmptened from these bans or are "fixed mag" so I would go for a FN49 or the like maybe a SKS ... I would not go M1 carbine as the 10 round mags for them suck

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Well hello Mr. ATF man.
I'd carry either a 1911 or a Glock 30SF/29SF/27/26 - originally designed for 10 rounds or less.
I believe my Mossberg 20GA Shockwave is okay based on those restrictions.

I currently carry a Glock 23/22/35 - but would not with a neutered 10 round mag.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This is a reality for us in N.Y. ,

I've used, carried AR-15, I'm not a big fan, unless a zombie apocalypse is coming, my AR stays in the GS

My go to home security is a simple pump shotgun, this is a platform I've carried and used since I was a child .

My cc is a Glock-23 or 1911 along with a bug.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Guess the Rami would come out along with the .44 magnum lever gun and the usual pump 12 gauge - it would be what was normal in California.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Just picked up a Mini-14 last week, as a matter of fact. It's a future gift to my 4 month old grandson who unfortunately lives in the Peoples Republik of Maryland. Now I'm on the hunt for genuine Ruger mags. With a basic wood stock, no flash hider, no pistol grip, nor other "scary" stuff it meets current MD firearms restrictions. It may or may not 18 years from now, but it seems like a good option at the moment. I could have picked up a MD compliant AR, but chances are in 6 months the list will get even more restrictive on those scary "high-powered!" (ha) black rifles.

Thinking of getting a Henry X lever in .357 next.

Ironically, the Sub-2000 is still MD compliant, but that may not last.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You know, I completely forgot about lever guns. If there is a complete ban on semi-auto rifles, I'm still good with a Marlin 1895 in .45-70 and a Winchester 1873 in .44 WCF (.44-40). Not sure what the magazine capacity is on the Marlin, but I can stuff 15 rounds into that Winchester.
Add to that a Mauser 98 in 8x57 with 500+ rounds on stripper-clips, and I'm good to go.

The only thing about that Marlin and the Mauser is that they hurt my shoulder. That's why I went to the .450 Bushmaster. Oh well, I'll carry an extra towel!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts