Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mariner 500. Nothing fancy about (except the waterproof orange tube!)

In terms up upgrades, what would be an economical set of add-ons and what is just eye candy?

I'm thinking I don't really need a pistol grip on a pump-action (I could be wrong)

Is a set of sights or rail system a good idea or dumb idea for a HD shotgun? I won't be shooting clays with it, nor hunting.

I was eying up the options for extra round storage, but the Mariner doesn't have a stock, so not sure if there is an alternative. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Light, sling, and side saddle to carry extra ammo. Sights aren't really necessary. I hit man sized targets at 100 yards with bead sights (I have never tried any farther).

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I've tried all manner of stuff on mine, from pistol foregrips to reflex sights.

About the only useful mods from factory condition, for me, were a sling, fiber optic bead, adjustable stock/pistol grip and a side saddle.

KISS very much applies.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
A quality side saddle and a light are all a good HD shotgun needs IMO.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Well, you could add a lower (upper - lower combination) with something in the phased plasma pulse-laser in the forty watt range...

Actually, a screw in external shell holder for the Port Side Reciever works nicely.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I agrree,,,, however... my HD mossy wears a smoothbore barrel with a choke tube. 18.5" is easy to maneauver. I had an old bird barrel cut down and threaded. I also have a rifled slug barrel and full length bird barrel. Anywho.... My HD barrel wears a LARGE fiberoptic on the front, but I will be raplacing it with a set of XS sights 24/7 bigdot shotgun sights eventaully. As far as furniture goes, original stock and forend. its not fancy but it works.

·
8,501 Posts
Light and side saddle. KISS.

Reactions: TX expat

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Light and side saddle. KISS.
I got my Mossberg 500 used at a local LE auction. It was already set up with a speed-feed stock, 6 rd side saddle, and 'day-glo' bead on a 18 1/2" barrel, and a short rail on the forearm to mount a light. Its not pretty, but it does the job well.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
75 Posts
1.) You can pick up a tritium bead sight from Brownells for less than $25.00. Considering that many home defense scenarios occur in the dark, would seem to be a worthwhile option.

brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/front-sights/tritium-shotgun-sight-prod19914.aspx

The one that fits the Mossberg 500/590 is the 579-000-080WB 5x40 Sight at the bottom of the page.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
The last new 12G I bought...I had them mount a 6R side saddle on receiver+a sling that held 8 more shells. That was good enuf for me.:blink:

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I went with the steel Butler Creek folding stock, side saddle shell holder, and remote pressure pad 180 lumen flashlight with strobe. That gives me 11+1 rounds of 12 ga and a flashlight in one package, and I have the option of using just the pistol grip or swinging the stock out.

I had a sling mounted on it but removed it. I figured for HD that may be more of a hindrance than a help.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1.) You can pick up a tritium bead sight from Brownells for less than $25.00. Considering that many home defense scenarios occur in the dark, would seem to be a worthwhile option.

brownells.com/shotgun-parts/sights/front-sights/tritium-shotgun-sight-prod19914.aspx

The one that fits the Mossberg 500/590 is the 579-000-080WB 5x40 Sight at the bottom of the page.
Thanks for everyones input.

But this sight in particular...how does it mount?

·
Registered
45,367 Posts
A mag extension (allows more shots before reloading) and a light. To me, for home defense, anything else is fluff.

·
8,501 Posts
Thanks for everyones input.

But this sight in particular...how does it mount?
It screws into the same hole that the bead was in. You remove the bead and then screw this in.

I don't really think you need this though. As I suggested a side saddle and a light is all you need on a HD shotgun. Beads are popular for a reason and they have been on shotguns for over 100 years. Why? Because they work. They are fast and efficient and for HD you don't need anything more complex. KISS. Remember that you will have a light on your shotgun and you will need to ID your target before you shoot. A glow in the dark bead, to me, is superfluous. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
I have a mariner 500. the Mariner doesn't have a stock, so not sure if there is an alternative. Any advice would be appreciated.
I would get a stock and maybe a mount and light, but the stock would be necessary.

Reactions: TX expat

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
I would get a stock and maybe a mount and light, but the stock would be necessary.
Yeah, I agree on the stock. If I'm not mistaken any Mossberg 500 stock should work. Personally I'd get a 12" LOP or Youth stock to keep it as short as possible, but I'd take any stock over the pistol grip.

·
Registered
192 Posts
brightest light you can clamp on it. You'll identify the target, blind it, and hit what's lit.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts