Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every night before bed I put everything that could be used against me away and leave one of my handguns in the top drawer of a nightstand. Anyone make any special preparations before going to bed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don\'t have to do much. Usually I\'m the last to go to bed so I check all the doors downstairs,and turn on the alarm. Pistol & shotgun are within reach near my side of the bed.:kay:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Take the dogs out??

Also visit the bathroom myself;)

I tend to be a light sleeper. Too many nights spent in an alert facility.

Shotgun loaded with slugs is handy, handgun is at hand.

Plan is simple, home invaders can have what is downstairs, but the stairwell is mine.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
The Std lock the doors set the alarm put carry gun in the safe head to bed check the bed side table gun and Ar-15 all is ok go to bed

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Let the alarms out, give them a treat, check doors, put carry gun in nightstand, and go to bed. No kids so certain things are static unless being used, checked or cleaned.

·
Administrator
143,833 Posts
Set Sonitrol - Glass of Chocolate milk - 3 Cookies - Take HOT Shower - Brush Teeth - Ithaca Model 37 - Fluff Up Pillow - Kiss Both Wife & Girlfriend Good Night - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

·
Premium Member
20,044 Posts
I let the dog out for one final time, do a check of all doors and find out who\'s home and who\'s not, turn on the alarm. The dog sleeps in our room so I don\'t normally lock the bedroom door when I go to bed, but I do close it. I also put up everything that could be used against me if someone did disable the alarm, break in and catch the dog during a deep sleep and get in our room, which is not likely.

I keep one of my guns on the headboard next to the phone and my E2E.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Check all doors, close and lock the bedroom door, and unlock the shotgun. :cool:

·
Banned
239 Posts
Open the \'safe'room. Release the hounds. Check the safety on the nighthawk, shotgun. Kiss the dogs, wife, kid in that order and hit the hay. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
before bedtime??

I really do not do anything special... I have a gun by my bed 24/7... so I check its condition a couple times a week.

Doors locked... I leave 2 small lights on downstairs.. burgler can see better.. and I can see him better form upstairs in no light..

I put my carry gun away in a location accessible if I came down stairs empty handed and needed to acquire something quickly..

Probably should....
Check my bed gun nightly to be sure it is ready...

not go downstairs without ... but I have an alarm dog who barks when even my feet rach the portch..

Pat

·
Registered
102 Posts
I take the dog for her final walk, lock the front door, and close the baby gate (we have a toddler) at the stairs on the second level (first level is garage, entrance, and \"basement\"). I close the gate so anyone coming upstairs will have to open it, hopefullly making noise while they figure it out. On the third floor, where the bedrooms are located, I put my normal pocket junk in the drawer, and put the CCW in the bedside lockbox. Since I have a small child, I don\'t leave guns out, even if they could be hidden. I do keep a 6 cell maglight on the nightstand and our dog sleeps in our bedroom. The lockbox has a keypad and can be opened by \"feel\" if necessary.

It\'s my hope that anyone coming into the house at night will make enough noise to alert us or the dog. If they get in, they have to come up two flights of stairs to get to us.

Chris

·
Registered
57 Posts
Make sure the doors are locked & lights turned off. Brush the teeth and visit the men\'s reading room. Kiss the Mrs. (babes already done, but check on them too since my daughter prefers to sleep on the floor :cool: My \'night guns'are already in speed safe (typically my 1911 and the 870). Then off to dreamland.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Final check o f the doors, let the dog in the bedroom, put the gun on the nightstand, knives within reach behind the headboard on the sill.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have three inside big dogs, labs are loud! We have two of them and an Irish Wolf Hound with a hair pin trigger. We also have an outside dog. He sounds the first alert and it is easily picked up by the other three. Sometimes this means rallying the defenses to ward of the attack of the opposems, but we get by. Since we live in a rural area, the out buildings are checked when we do chores at sundown. We have been married ten years so we don\'t shower together very often. ;) I have my 92FS in my headborad along with my Surefire C2. There is a 16 gauge bolt action shotgun on my side of the bed and an AK-47 is three steps away hidden in a love-seat (pun intended). There are no children at home if you don\'t count me :). We have a land line in the bedroom and I keep my cell close by. Our master bath presents a real hazzard for anyone trying to reach us.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lock doors. Turn on porch light. Lock bedroom door. Knife and OC spray on bedside table hidden behind a picture frame. Spare mag in bedside table drawer. Glock (round chambered) in holster between mattress and box spring on my side of the bed. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Check all the doors and windows are shut and locked. Then starting in the main bedroom I look under the bed and in the closet, then procede to the next bedroom and the one after that, then the bathroom and kitchen, then downstairs in the basement as well. After the house is clear of monsters I got to the main bedroom and lock the door knob and latch and put my flashlights on the nightstand and go to sleep.

I still can\'t get a good nights sleep without hearing a creek, pop, or snap that makes me go through the whole ritual again. Oh well.

clipse

R

·
0 Posts
I generally check the house for locked doors and windows, turn off some lights, turn on others. I close my bedroom door at night and lock it, putting something about a foot out from the door to make some noise if it\'s opened. Also place all weapons out of sight but nearby so I can reach them if needed in the night.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
What dogs are we talking here. I have two Pure Breed Akita\'s (Galileo & Mona Lisa) As a tag team I have watched them bring down a white tail deer when we lived back in NY. We had 2 acres of land fenced in and they absolutely loved it. As far as SOP for turning in for the evening. Reload mags that I use for night-time duties (? to be asked in new topic). Load up two .45\'s and slug-gun (live in a gated tract home community .223 would go way to far way to fast, woudl not want to hit a GG/IB). Dogs sleep in our room and I check that all doors are secured. Put whitening stuff on my fangs and cop some ZZzz\'s

~A

1 - 20 of 22 Posts