Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On CCW issues of course. I'll start:

1. The Concealed Handgun Manual - Chris Bird
2. Combat Handgunnery 5th ed - Massad Ayoob
3. The Ayoob Files - Massad Ayoob
4. Stressfire Vol. 1 - Massad Ayoob
5. Effective Defense - Gila Hayes (this ones geard for women)
6. Tactical Pistol Marksmanship - Gabriel Suarez

While all these books were great reading and very informative, I highly recommend The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird for people just starting out or considering to carry a pistol. It goes over guns, ammunition, basic defensive tactics, mindset, and ways to carry. It's a good general information book that also includes real life scenarios.

·
Registered
742 Posts
In Gravest Extreme--Ayoob
Principles of Personal Defense--Cooper

The rest do not count until these have been read at least three times. Not knocking the other writers--it is just that these two books, both written before many states had concealed carry, say what is necessary.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I think anyone owning a firearm for self defense should read In the Gravest Extreme by Ayoob
Mike

·
Registered
570 Posts
Just read In The Gravest Extreme, trying to figure which one I should read next.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My favorites:
Principles of Personal Defense- Jeff Cooper
Tactical Reality- Louis Awerbuck
More Tactical Reality- Awerbuck
Fighting Smarter- Tom Givens

I understand the "Some of the Answer" series by Jim Crews is excellent. I just ordered a set he put together on CD-ROM that has all three volumes for a temporary sale price of $29 (I think it was). Sometimes, it does pay to procrastinate.

·
Registered
282 Posts
"The Gift of Fear" Gavin Debecker
"On Killing" LtCol Dave Grossman-read for awareness not Knowledge. Lots of controversy about legit of content.
"The Truth about Self Protection", "In the Gravest Extreme" "Stressfire" (Vol I&II) Massad Ayoob (actually any of his books)
"Principles of Personal Defense" Jeff Cooper
"Ccw: Carrying Concealed Weapons : How to Carry Concealed Weapons and Know When Others Are" Jerry Ahern
"Weapon Retention Techniques for Officer Survival" Robert Downey
"Starship Troopers" Robert Heinlein

That should get you started anyways.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK, since it came up...
I often see "Starship Troopers" in these sort of lists. I've never read it, so I have to ask- How does it relate?
Not trying to be smart, because I'm sure it does relate, or I wouldn't see it listed so often.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stafford in addition to all these others that I've also read and won't restate.

StarShip Troopers gives you the proper perspective and philosophy of self defense and patriotism. It ought to be mandatory reading in the public schools. Also by Heinlein I would recommend Glory Road and The Notebooks of Lazarus Long for exactly the same reasons. Pearls of wisdom here. Pearls of Wisdom.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I like Grossman's book "On Killing". Didn't care much for one of his subsequent efforts, "On Combat". I've read and liked a few of Ayoob's books, too.

I've heard a lot about Jeff Cooper's works, and I'll get a coupld of them pretty soon.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Jeff Cooper's Books

randytulsa2 said:
I've heard a lot about Jeff Cooper's works, and I'll get a coupld of them pretty soon.
You can get a LOT of his stuff online, free. Cooper's Commentaries I guess you can hunt up a link. But I did love his book To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth and I truly loved his book of quotations called The Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
More fiction. These books shaped my personality when I was growing up, so much so that I used to highlight and underline some of his philosophy: The Matt Helm spy series. Not those STUPID movies with Dean Martin! But the original series by Donald Hamilton was awesome in this respect.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ExSoldier said:
Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stafford in addition to all these others that I've also read and won't restate.
Mr. Stanford is a (put your word here)...:rolleyes:
The type of "I knew that before others" guy.

Some of his "finest" :
"full surprise tactical exercise" come on Dude surprise exercise on your own :rofl:
His Weaver always looked like an isosceles:rofl:
"The Bill Drill is good for developing your ability to see more quickly."
You don't know what is seeing quickly until you read BE's book.

When I feel I need to laugh I pick up his book and...:rofl:

It's a NO-NO if you are about to spend money.

·
Registered
282 Posts
ExSoldier said:
StarShip Troopers gives you the proper perspective and philosophy of self defense and patriotism. It ought to be mandatory reading in the public schools. Also by Heinlein I would recommend Glory Road and The Notebooks of Lazarus Long for exactly the same reasons. Pearls of wisdom here. Pearls of Wisdom.
well stated

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Give Peace a Chance

TheHun said:
Mr. Stanford is a (put your word here)...:rolleyes:
The type of "I knew that before others" guy.

Some of his "finest" :
"full surprise tactical exercise" come on Dude surprise exercise on your own :rofl:
His Weaver always looked like an isosceles:rofl:
"The Bill Drill is good for developing your ability to see more quickly."
You don't know what is seeing quickly until you read BE's book.

When I feel I need to laugh I pick up his book and...:rofl:

It's a NO-NO if you are about to spend money.
TheHun: You are free of course to disagree with anything here but being a newb you might consider that lots and lots of :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: THESE might be considered antagonistic...not that I'm :aargh4: I just want to keep things civil around here. But I don't want to be oversensitive, either. :rolleyes:

I'm aware that Andy Stafford has his critics. I met him last weekend at the State (FL) IDPA match. Nice guy, I thought. But that book Surgical Speed Shooting taught me a lot when it comes to TACTICAL RELOADS with RETENTION...an area where I had been having problems insofar as the IDPA game is concerned.

I use IDPA as one way to measure my game on the street. I don't really like the idea of dropping mags in a street confrontation so I practice retention and a fast reload as much as I can. Other than that, I'm much more concerned with "procedural dings" than I am with overall score. A procedural means I made a tactical error and that's not good. I got thru the entire eight stage state match without a single procedural.

Okay, so YOU didn't get much from Stafford. But why don't you let others decide for themselves if it's junk or not? There is not a single book on this list I disagree with. But even if I did, I wouldn't put it down like you did. FWIW.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts