Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what everyone carries on a daily basis. I have both the shield 9mm and the shield 45 now, and I've seen different opinions on what is the best caliber for EDC. I plan on my EDC being the 45, would this be considered overkill?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've read a article that was explaining the reason law enforcement is moving to 9mm and that their efficiency these days is on par with 45 with a much more controllable recoil.
That for me was the base of sticking to 9mm which tbh I shoot better groups with anyway especially in 3-4 consecutive fast shots.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Overkill hahahahahahahaha, no sir.
Anyway, same for me on the 2 calibers. Carry .45 whenever I can get away with it.
When I *don't have a jacket or large shirt it's 9mm.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
I started out carrying .45 but now carry 9mm.

And no, 45 is no more overkill than 9mm is.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not trying to start a caliber war...........I CCW 9mm, .40's, .45ACP and .357 Mag depending on my situation for that day.

I keep hearing and reading people say “With todays ammo, there is no difference between 9mm, .40 cal and .45 ACP”! I say nonsense! The same ammo advancements that improved 9mm also improved .40 cal and .45 ACP. IMHO; even if you didn’t know anything about firearms ballistics, just lining up the 3 caliber cartridges along side each other, to say the 9mm “equals” the .40 cal and .45 ACP is foolish.
AS far as the FBI report that 9mm meets or exceeds LEO requirements, I don’t believe the FBI report. I firmly believe it a political correct report so woman and small men can qualify with their firearms. It has been widely know that many LEO’s could not qualify as well or at all when switching from 9mm to .40 cal’s. So, instead of improving training and competency, it was easier to lower the bar on ammo…….The FBI isn’t fooling me! If they tell that lie often enough, it becomes truth (to some).
Just my opinion……

·
Registered
392 Posts
With quality defense ammo (147 grn HST) 9MM is what I carry. I was thinking getting a 40 cal but after doing some research and finding how more wear there is on 40 cal pistols and the capacity and control of 9 MM and that quite a few LE agencies are going BACK to 9 MM, it will work just fine

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
With quality defense ammo (147 grn HST) 9MM is what I carry. I was thinking getting a 40 cal but after doing some research and finding how more wear there is on 40 cal pistols and the capacity and control of 9 MM and that quite a few LE agencies are going BACK to 9 MM, it will work just fine
You can buy a lot of 40 caliber pistols for the money it would take in ammo to wear it out, lol

I think I was issued my G22 in 1999, and after years of qualifying 4x a year, competing and personal use, it's still going strong.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can buy a lot of 40 caliber pistols for the money it would take in ammo to wear it out, lol

I think I was issued my G22 in 1999, and after years of qualifying 4x a year, competing and personal use, it's still going strong.
I wondered about the accuracy of that information regarding larger cal wearing our faster. I get the recoil control part but I don't see how the larger cal would wear out any sooner per rounds fired....

·
Registered
20,049 Posts
I wondered about the accuracy of that information regarding larger cal wearing our faster. I get the recoil control part but I don't see how the larger cal would wear out any sooner per rounds fired....
Im sure there is some accelerated wear, but I think in the realm of practicality, it's a bit overstated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
9mm is my EDC.

·
Registered
327 Posts
9mm. I can conceil my P938 with 7+1 and a spare. No matter what I'm wearing. Same gun, every day, everywhere.

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
- H. Jackson Brown

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
I've read a article that was explaining the reason law enforcement is moving to 9mm and that their efficiency these days is on par with 45 with a much more controllable recoil.
That for me was the base of sticking to 9mm which tbh I shoot better groups with anyway especially in 3-4 consecutive fast shots.

Gotta ask. Is it really that 9mm is on par with 45 or is it wishful thinking? Is it really on par or are we told it is by marketing and we make a calculated effort to believe it?

My EDC is liable to be anything, even weird cartridges, but is generally .38 Special or .45 ACP.

Hah! I'm going to the range in a little while and it's going to be 9mm of all things as I want to play with the CZ 75BD.

·
Banned
145 Posts
I do not have just one EDC, I have maney and these are the calibers: .22 mag., 22 lr. .32 short, .32 long, .32 H&R Mag, 327 Federal magnum, .380 acp, .38 spl, .38 spl +P, .357 Mag, 44 spl, .44 mag, .40 cal, .44 Colt and last but not least, .357 Sig. I like choices. I also am old and have medical conditions that on some days limit me to certain guns and calibers.

I also collect knives, mostly pocket, so my EDC knife is also determined by need and size. I never have an excuse not to carry a gun and a knife because I have them small enough to fit into the waterproof pocket of my swim trunks and large enough to fit into a shoulder bag. Add Pepper spray, a small ASP Baton and tactical pen and I am well armed for an old guy. I do not know if my training from over 40 years ago will help me today, but I still remember a few things.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
.38 or .380

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Mostly .45 but may be .357 at other times.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts