Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The negative Kahr stories go on and on. We have some that say theirs is dependable but there are many many more who say their Kahr's were or are POS's. I myself have owned several that were jamomatics. I think it is terrible that we have to stay away from an American Company because of lack of quality control. I don't know if Karh is simply happy with the sales they have with a bad reputation or if they are trying to improve their product. Even if they did improve their product, I would never know because I will never trust them again unless they do something big to convince me to. Wouldn't it be great if Karh decided they were going to turn around their image and make us (American Buyers) want to buy Karh products. I think that would be a great story. I hope someone from Karh reads this thread and gets the ball rolling.

All that being said, what is your experience with Kahr products? Do you still buy Karh products or do you shy away. Would you like to see Karh turn around their image or do you think they have already. Thoughts???

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Korean owner so ....

I hated the plastic models felt cheep and kicked bad into my hand

The metal ones were ok ...Mags looked like crap and were not good at all ... And they were a massive pain to take apart but if you slam it into a table while doing it it help I found ..

Now the thing is I never had new guns ..Mine were broken in so they worked

I would not buy one new way too many worries

Frankly with the glock 43 etc etc out there I dont feel a need to own them .

·
Registered
188 Posts
My experience with Kahr has been positive. I own a CT380 and a CW9. Both have over 300 rnds through them and have presented no issues that can't be explained by operator error. I consider both to be reliable for daily carry.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I have had no problems with mine. I followed the instructions for break in. Only problem I had was the pistol fell out of my vest pocket and messed up the front sight. I called Kahr they said to send in the slide. Kahr replaced the front sight no charge. Customer service great! It is my every day backup.
I think people who have problems with their pistols think they know more than the manufacture and don't follow instructions. They would screw up a Wilson $4000.00 gun.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
One Kahr. A P9 I bought back in 2000 or so. No problems. Very thin and shoots as well as it conceals.
Probably my only Kahr.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I'm sure they are fine guns. I liked the PM9 I rented when i was first in the pocket gun mood. But there are so many striker options with much better retail support. Whether it's holsters, magazines, sights, etc. I can walk into most any good gun shop and find holsters and magazines for a Shield or Glock. Not so much with a Kahr.

·
Premium Member
36,723 Posts
I've bought two Kahrs through there instructor discount program. One, the P380 I still have and carry as a bug daily in warmer weather (my 940 j-frame gets winter bug duty). The recoil isn't bad, and it accurate enough for what it is. I'm not fond of DAO triggers, and believe Kahrs in general retail for about twice what they are actually worth.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
The negative Kahr stories go on and on. We have some that say theirs is dependable but there are many many more who say their Kahr's were or are POS's. I myself have owned several that were jamomatics. I think it is terrible that we have to stay away from an American Company because of lack of quality control. I don't know if Karh is simply happy with the sales they have with a bad reputation or if they are trying to improve their product. Even if they did improve their product, I would never know because I will never trust them again unless they do something big to convince me to. Wouldn't it be great if Karh decided they were going to turn around their image and make us (American Buyers) want to buy Karh products. I think that would be a great story. I hope someone from Karh reads this thread and gets the ball rolling.

All that being said, what is your experience with Kahr products? Do you still buy Karh products or do you shy away. Would you like to see Karh turn around their image or do you think they have already. Thoughts???
Mines have been fine. They aren't as popular as other handguns on the market and some have had issues with their mags, but your exertion is the the first I've heard about the consensus being that, in general, they have a "bad reputation" and are jam-o-matic.

The main problem I see with Kahr is that they haven't evolved. Their competition is continuously putting out new generations of their existing product line as well as adding new items. Glock, Sig, Ruger, Springfield, CZ, S&W, heck even Remington and Taurus have released several new model and product lines over the past few years, and all Kahr has released is different colors of the same old dated pistol.

With that said, I wouldn't mind owning another Kahr, but it's fact that there are better option in the $330-$350 price range that keeps them at the bottom of my list.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Fix the feed ramp problems? Challenge me to a Zen koan or one of my fabulously famous bad jokes? I love the trigger.

"Just right for a beach fight, but I just can't explain why that uncertain feeling is still here in my brain." ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have two PM9's and one PM40.

None of them has ever failed to feed, eject, or go bang.

The PM40 and one of the 9's both have a few thousand rounds through each.

The newer 9 has about 800 rounds through it.

Other than a few broken mag followers on the PM40, They've always gone bang. I've never had a lick of trouble with any of them other than that.

A PM9 w a Crimson Trace is always in my pocket if I'm not sleeping or dead.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
The negative Kahr stories go on and on.........All that being said, what is your experience with Kahr products? Do you still buy Karh products or do you shy away. Would you like to see Karh turn around their image or do you think they have already. Thoughts???
I have owned six Kahrs: K40 Elite '98; 2 - CW380; CT380; CM9; and a P40. I have had minimal problems and they have all been reliable. I followed the recommended break in procedures that both Kahr and owners recommended and I utilize the slide release to chamber the first round instead of using the sling shot method. For the CW's, CT, and CM I polished the feed ramps and verified the slide stop was not in contact with the magazine lip when inserting a full magazine. The only Kahr I currently have, the P40, has been very reliable from the get-go. I continue to see posts on various forums from persons who have had difficulties with Kahrs, but that has not been my experience over the ten years or so I have owned them. I don't believe Kahrs are handguns for the majority of gun owners like for instance Glocks. i wouldn't hesitate to buy another and will likely pick up another .380 in the next few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
CW9 and K40 live here.
Neither has ever failed to feed, fire, or eject when I wanted it to.
Neither went through a break-in period of any sort.
Neither is routinely loaded via the slide stop, but instead via the slingshot method.

About the worst I can say is that the feed lips on the mags must be designed by Gillette, as they are the sharpest, most finger-unfriendly mags I've ever handled.

Would I buy another? Possibly, but these two serve my compact, single-stack pistol need quite nicely so I'm not in the market for any more in this category. However, if I tripped over a TP45 going for a song, I might be inclined to add it to the collection.

·
Registered
11,168 Posts
What would it take? Simple. For them to publicly admit their problems, and state how they intended to fix them. Then follow through.

Make the aftermarket metal mag followers OEM, to solve their cracking and nose dive issues.

Have Mecgar make their mags, without the current crappy weld seam that tends to split.

Beef up QA to eliminate tolerance stacking issues.

Give a lifetime warranty regardless of whether you are the original owner. Pay for shipping.

Will they? Doubt it. With guns like the LC9s, Shield, and G43 available now, there is zero reason to take a risk on Kahr.

Buyers put up with their nonsense when they were the only game in town. Not any more.

I suffered through four of their guns. Wouldn't take another for free.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
CW9 and K40 live here.
Neither has ever failed to feed, fire, or eject when I wanted it to.
Neither went through a break-in period of any sort.
Neither is routinely loaded via the slide stop, but instead via the slingshot method.

About the worst I can say is that the feed lips on the mags must be designed by Gillette, as they are the sharpest, most finger-unfriendly mags I've ever handled.

Would I buy another? Possibly, but these two serve my compact, single-stack pistol need quite nicely so I'm not in the market for any more in this category. However, if I tripped over a TP45 going for a song, I might be inclined to add it to the collection.
From my scouring of the Kahr forums it really does appear to me that the culprit in the Kahr angst is with the magazines. Heck, show me a smallish auto loader without an overly steep feed ramp relative to larger guns - they're all steep. Something is wrong with the Kahr magazines. My hypothesis is that they are going a wee bit cheap on their engineering and refuse observe and fix tell tail signs.

Some folks say Jason Moon is a good enough guy. He is his father's son as far as I'm concerned, and Sun Myung was a cheating weasel.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm 50/50 with my Kahrs. The first was a CW40. Unreliable, even after two (or was it three?) trips back to the mothership and 500 break in rounds. I liked everything else, ergonomics, trigger, slim, light and accurate. Got rid of it with full disclosure to the buyer. My second, a K40 has been 100% reliable from the start. Still as slim, accurate and ergonomic as the CW40, just a bit heavier. Would I buy another? I don't know, I still wish the CW40 had been reliable. If it had I would feel differently.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have owned six Kahrs: K40 Elite '98; 2 - CW380; CT380; CM9; and a P40. I have had minimal problems and they have all been reliable. I followed the recommended break in procedures that both Kahr and owners recommended and I utilize the slide release to chamber the first round instead of using the sling shot method. For the CW's, CT, and CM I polished the feed ramps and verified the slide stop was not in contact with the magazine lip when inserting a full magazine. The only Kahr I currently have, the P40, has been very reliable from the get-go. I continue to see posts on various forums from persons who have had difficulties with Kahrs, but that has not been my experience over the ten years or so I have owned them. I don't believe Kahrs are handguns for the majority of gun owners like for instance Glocks. i wouldn't hesitate to buy another and will likely pick up another .380 in the next few weeks.
There are always two sides to a story. I'm glad yours have been great. That's what makes the Kahr such an interesteg firearm to discuss. Plenty of folks like them but there are WAY to many stories of them being bad for it not to be fact. The saying "Where there's smoke, there is fire" applies here. The so called break in process of 200 rounds has to be included in the intial cost of the weapon. 200 rounds aren't cheap. No one should ever carry a Kahr until that process has been completed. We know that for sure.

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
From my scouring of the Kahr forums it really does appear to me that the culprit in the Kahr angst is with the magazines. Heck, show me a smallish auto loader without an overly steep feed ramp relative to larger guns - they're all steep. Something is wrong with the Kahr magazines. My hypothesis is that they are going a wee bit cheap on their engineering and refuse observe and fix tell tail signs.

Some folks say Jason Moon is a good enough guy. He is his father's son as far as I'm concerned, and Sun Myung was a cheating weasel.
Hmm... other than sharp edges, the mags never gave me a problem.

Allow me a brief thread hijack with some irony. I lived in CT when Sun Myung Moon was convicted and sentenced to Federal prison. He ended up at the Danbury FCI (Federal Correctional Institute), which I drove by weekly. Prisoners have to have jobs, right? Of all things, Moon was sent to work... in the prison laundry! "No tickee, no shirtee!"

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Best trade I ever made was to trade my PM40 for a Kayak. Worst pistol I ever owned.
But what would it take from Kahr for you to trust them again with your money? If they came out with an "Our Quality Is Better Campaign" would that work? I was thinking I might try them if they came out with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts